• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bargnani\Shelden per Bernie Mullins

Rexhawk

Bernie Mullins was on 680the fan this morning talking about the draft. Here were his main points.

1. He would not confirm the offer to Shelden

2. The fifth pick will be a big

3. As reported on prior threads, Brandon Roy nor the point guards or on their top list. Top list of Big men include Tyrus Thomas, Bargnani, and Shelden.

4. He stated that they were not taking any players with medical problems or character concerns. He stressed that the fans should understand that they have done their homework. This rules out Aldridge (back and foot problems) and Marcus Williams(computer theft).

5. Bernie stated that the pick would be like past picks which would be someone who is tall, lean, athletic, and can play multiple positions.

6. There are no subtantive trade talks going on with other teams regarding players or moving up or down in the draft.

The moning show guys rode him hard about the Shelden situation. He did not deny intrest in him but stated that he was not aware of a promise.

It is now obvious that the pick will be Bargnani or Shelden. I believe Shelden will be the only player left on the board.

It should be noted that Shelden was scheduled to appear on the other local radio station this morning but form some reason cancelled at the last moment.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

In essence, it is a promise.

If the draft goes Bargnani, Thomas, Gay, Morrison.. then we have nobody else but Shelden to look at.

Moreover, I wouldn't be surprised if Shelden is rated higher in our front office than Thomas. Thomas has BUST written all over him.

I just dont get why they would let their laundry hang out to dry for all to see? Why say we are definately taking a big and no guards are at the top of their list? It just doesnt make sense and I dont believe it at all.

I'll finish the sentence for BM.

"We are definately taking a big if Bargnani or Thomas fall to us at #5"

or

"We are definately taking a big in the 2nd rd whether its w/ our pick or we acquire one via trade"

Is that a pack of newports in your pocket Mr. Mullins or are ya just happy to see me?

• Premium Member

Everybody knows that our biggest need is PF.

We have a C in Zaza who is suitable.

We have a PG in Lue who is suitable.

However, we don't have a suitable PF. Our weakness is interior defense. Shelden is the best interior defender out of this draft. PERIOD.

I dont deny that Sheldon would fit a major need but why should the F.O. go out of their way to say we're definately taking a big? Let me ask this though, with another year under his belt, would Josh Smith be a "suitable" PF? If so then why not fill the other major need which is another guard?

Either with a trade of Al or someone or thru free

agency, Atlanta expects to get a veteran P.G.

We've been told, over and over, Hawks are seeking

"big" this off season, with defense being a priority.

So, why the suprise or even shock??

confused.gif

No one's surprised or shocked. But if 6'8 is a definition of "Big" I guess I'm way off. Now if we'd have said (to Diesel's point at least) that we're looking for a PF who can fill in occasionally at C, then there would be no big deal. You say to-ma-toe, I say to-mot-toe. So what?

Quote:

Either with a trade of Al or someone or thru free

agency, Atlanta expects to get a veteran P.G.

We've been told, over and over, Hawks are seeking

"big" this off season, with defense being a priority.

So, why the suprise or even shock??

confused.gif

I'm not surprised or shocked. I am questioning why they are showing their cards. Yeah everyone knows we need a big but everyone also knows we need a guard. Instead of saying we're definately taking a big, say that we have some bigs and some guards that we like alot and maybe we can drop down a couple picks and still get Sheldon + gain something else.

• Premium Member

I think BK and Woody has more intimate knowledge of what JSmoove wants to play. Personally, I don't think JSmoove wants to play PF. But I'm sure that Woody and BK knows for sure. One thing is for certain, Smoove lacks a lot of the essential skills of a PF.

Why would Bernie come out and say it. Well, damn... look at the situation over the last few months.

For the last few months, BK has been BLASTED in the media for being so vague and so secretive and so elitest... Haven't you noticed that Bernie has been the face of the Hawks that takes the edge off of BK's rough exterior?? It's all about PR. IF Hawks fans feel they can trust Bernie then they will be willing to trust the organization. It's not good for the fans to be shut out in a time when the ownership is in doubt and the team structure is weak. I think every time you can hear Bernie, you prolly need to listen because this is PR Repair... Similar to the honest that BK shows with the season ticket holders... PR Repair... this group has to sell the Hawks to people knowing that the Hawks are in shambles up top. The only way you can really do that is by laying all the cards on the table.

Now, let's take the opposite approach... What if Bernie would have said... "We're not at liberty to discuss our plans for the draft right now.. for the fans, I just say wait until draft day like everybody else."

How endeared to the franchise would you have felt?

Maybe you don't like the choice, but don't shot down the method.

• Premium Member

Well, you knew that Al would become a FA.

You knew that our interior defense is sad.

You knew that we were all pleased with Zaza and want to see him farther develop.

What's the problem with us getting a big = PF or C who can play interior defense?

Shelden just happens to be better suited to play PF.

But if you want to talk about 6'9 being a bad height for a pF... then you must have problems with Karl Malone and others.

I have met both Alonzo Mourning and JR Reid on the court at the same time. There is no way in hell that Mourning is really 6'10... He was smalle than Reid and I could look him in the eye at 6'8.

This isn't targeted at you completely, but I swear!! The Hawks get cricitized by their own fans because the front office doesn't tell them anything, and when they do tell them something, the Hawks still get criticized by their own fans.

Make up your minds!! You either want them to tell you something, or you don't. It's that simple.

i definetly think it's a smokescreen.

if it's a big at 5, he basically said Barg (duplicate position) or Shelden (too high for that pick).

so what i'm saying is that i will be shocked if we don't trade down OR hope aldridge falls (because of our smokescreen hopefully) and we get him.