• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shelden was the right pick!

Diesel

• Premium Member

This draft was not about potential. And too many time potential fails anyway. This draft was about picking the best player for your team. BK found the guy who fits our needs best. Weather we got him 5th or 8th... it doesn't matter. What would have mattered is if we had tried to get him 8th and end up not getting him at all. It's just busted logic for a lot of HSers hating Shelden because of when we picked him.

The other busted logic is those HSers who are hating on Shelden because of his height 6'9". Sorry but he dominated NCAA basketball. You say " Well, that's not the NBA".. Excuse me but I would say that seeing that 96% of the NBA comes from the NCAA, that it is to the NBA. No HSer can show me a case where a player has been as dominant in the areas that Shelden has been dominant and wasn't good in the NBA!

We are a team that needs a good interior player like a man in the dessert needs water... and HSers are complaining because we didn't get a mediocre PG or a OG who doesn't do anything exceedingly well?

Finally...

You just don't know what plans BK has already made. Maybe he's already worked out a deal for Livingston or AI or Devin Harris. Maybe he will bring in Francis or Andre Miller.

The key is that you just don't know what we will do... BUT what you should understand is that we filled our most pressing need last night and we filled it with the best player available

• Admin

I agree, none of the guards that were available to us were sure things and our biggest need is defense. If we went into next year and maintained our our 97ppg average. But dropped what we give up from 101 to 97, a 4 point dip, we will come close to hitting 40 wins next season.

When you consider the layup line our guys were running last year, a 4 point dip isn't much to ask for. Basically, if Sheldon (and improved team D) can prevent 2 baskets per game, we're sitting pretty. Having someone who knows how to play interior D, knows how to rotate, knows (and is willing) to pick up a charge, will make a HUGE difference.

Quote:

...This draft was about picking the best player for your team. BK found the guy who fits our needs best. Weather we got him 5th or 8th... it doesn't matter...

Outstanding!...we got the right big to contribute immediately!

Plus, I was hoping BK would have a list of bigs and take the best available with the #33. Personally, I would have taken Milsap, but looking at Solomon's resume' on various sites he appears to basically have the same stats as O'Bryant only in a tougher conference. Bravo.

Diesel also says: Finally...

You just don't know what plans BK has already made. Maybe he's already worked out a deal for Livingston or AI or Devin Harris. Maybe he will bring in Francis or Andre Miller.

This picking makes me think the AI deal could go through.

Based on how the draft unfolded.....I have to agree!! It would have been more controversial if Aldridge or Bagnani would have been there at 5.

This was the right pick based on the circumstances of the draft. Some would argue for Roy, but I am not angry we picked up a skilled big body that can play defense. This is definately an area of need we addressed.

I am satisfied with the pick.

• Premium Member

I'm really starting to believe that Aldridge will be soft. Really soft.

About Bargnani? I think it will be interesting to watch what exactly happens in Toronto. I don't see Bosh, Bargnani, Villaneuva, and Rasho all staying.

we also lost el matador, al harrington

our defense SHOULD be much better...this is woody's test year...he has the pieces to have at least a midrange defensive team; if the team is still in the 20s in defense by the end of the season, then he's in trouble

our ppg should be fine or even improve, depending on what moves we make

our defense should drop 4 points or MORE

I think he CLEARLY fits a need and it won't surprise me at all if he is a ROY candidate. I think he is going to suprise a lot of people with his offense and that he will be a double/double guy as a rookie.

A lot of the same people who are bashing BK for "reaching" for Shelden are the same ones who wanted BK to draft Marcus Williams or Rondo at #5. Apparently, taking one of them at 5 would have been a bigger reach than taking Shelden at 5. There are no scenarios where Shelden gets by Seattle at 10.

I don't have a problem with taking Shelden. I have a problem with taking him at #5. Look at what the other teams did to get their man plus some extras.

Truthfully though, Chicago only got Viktor Crappa for trading down to get their man TT. But the point is we should have gotten an asset plus Shelden at a reduced salary.