• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

IF Lon Goes...Here is my list for next year...

jaywalker72

I assume one of the assistants would get the interim job, so here is my list of possible candidates for next season...

I think time will show that the year we hired Lon was a golden year for hiring coaches:

Byron Scott, Sidney Lowe, Nate McMillian, Isiah Thomas, and Lon were all hired at the same time.

Doc was hired the year before.

Sigh.

Anyway, in no order:

Dwayne Casey:

Long time assistant, National Champion at Kentucky as a player ('78), coaching under Nate in SEA.

Michael Cooper:

We know he played on the Lakers during "The Run" and he was been successful with his teachings on the WNBA level. A known lock down defender, he could give this team an identity, pronto.

Johnny Davis:

A former Hawk and someone who has worked in the Hawks front office, Davis is coaching with Doc in Orlando. He was HC and led the Sixers to a 22-60 record in 96-97 season.

Eddie Jordan:

Highly considered for the GS job with EMuss, Jordan is a favorite of the Hawks, and almost got tapped when Lon got the job. He has HC experience (33-64) and has been working with Byron Scott in NJ for the last 3 seasons.

Jeff Van Gundy:

Under contract with the Knicks for the remainder of the season, JVG would bring a lot of success and defensive minded attitude to the Hawks. It would remain to be seen how much he would like a roster full of twenty-somethings.

Stan Van Gundy:

Jeff's older brother, Stan has been an assistant under Riley for six seasons. He was HC at Wisconson before that.

Bob McAdoo:

Mac is serving his eighth year under Riley, and is a noted tactician. His offensive teachings are incredible, specifically with the big men.

Larry Smith:

Mr. Mean is in his eighth season with Rudy T in HOU. He was an animal on the glass as a player, hence his moniker.

Rolando Blackman:

The DC in DAL, and though only in his second year as a coach, Rolando always brought a solid game to the floor.

Kenny Smith:

The Doc Rivers candidate. Jet knows this team well, being in the ATL often, and has the public clout to make it work.

This time we need to do it the right way and hire someone with NBA experience, period.

These guys have that, are not the usual suspects, and they range in ages and experience.

Right off, I would put McAdoo, Blackmon, Kenny, and Cooper at the top of that list, but I would certainly like to hear what the other candidates might bring, especially heavies like Larry Smith....

I think that Mac brings a Silas like quality to the position, Blackmon like McMillian, Cooper like Byron, and Kenny like Doc.

Just my penny on the matter....Thanks for the ride, BHD....

Great Post! I love the list of coaching candidates. Well, I know you went out of your way to write about all those coaches, but what's bothering me is why you went through all the trouble? Do you have the inside scoop of Lon getting the boot anytime soon? I know Lon has share of questionable substitution patterns during the game, but I have a hunch that Kruger maybe real close to getting a pink slip. Just my opinion...

"Johnny Davis:

A former Hawk and someone who has worked in the Hawks front office, Davis is coaching with Doc in Orlando. He was HC and led the Sixers to a 22-60 record in 96-97 season."

- uhm, he kinda sounds like a WORSE VERSION of LON KRUGER! dont want him!

my favorite CANDIDATES are...

*Jeff Van Gundy- just cause he has the experience. He loves his players and know what it takes to win.... this guy is all about experience (out of ur list that this)

*Kenny Smith- for some reason, i tend to agree with SMITH more than ERNIE or CHARLES (nobody agrees with CHARLES). As a point guard head coach, i like the perspective he brings in. He could DEFINITELY help out JT...

either one would be good!

• Premium Member

In reply to:

Unlike many others you didn't just post alist of has beens.

Please. You need to think before speaking. How many of the coaches that Jay mentioned have championship experience? Only one... Van Gundy. [censored], most of those guys have no experience whatsoever. And some of those guys are Sidney Lowe part 2.

But Look at my list.

Danny Ainge.... Took a team with no big men to the playoffs several times.

Mike Dunleavy Sr. Coach the Lakers to the Finals. Also did very good work in Portland and Milwaukee.

Brian Hill... Been to the championship.

Chucky Daly... Of 12 yrs coaching, Only had 1 season where his team was below .500. Coached the pistons to 2 championship and 4 division titles.

Van Gundy... Took the Knicks to the championships.

Scott Skiles... Did a good job in Phoenix. Was considered a players coach.

You said that Jay's list was researched and you called these guys have beens. Well, Jay's guys for the most part are unknown qualities. They are just like Kruger and Bob Weiss. You don't know. I have picked out Guys who have coached. Who have managed personells and who have won AT THIS LEVEL. Not some guy who coached his team to a 22-67 record? Eddie Jordan and Jhonnie Davis are great guys but not for a vet team trying to get to the Championships. My opinion is that we don't have time to sit around and wait on some coach to come along and learn how to coach (Del Harris)... We have to have some guy who has already figured it out (Phil Jackson).

First of all I wasn't refering to you specifically some on your list I like i.e. Skiles and Ainge. But Daly, I really hate to agree with Walter, has seen his day. Mike Dunleavy Sr is a bigger idiot than Lon his bad coaching created the Laker dynasty by destroying the most talented, not necessarily the best team in history. Jesus he blew a double digit 4th qaurter lead in Game 7. Maybe I am mistaken but wasn't he fired in LA.Yeah Diesel that is a proven winner there. Brian Hill was fired by his own players, how bad do you have to be. Van Gundy is unstable, he quit his job for no F---ing reason.

I am not going to disagree with the success of the coaches you have listed, I just wanted to interview people that might be the next Doc Rivers, Byron Scott, etc.

I didn't want retreads or burnouts, I wanted hungry new coaches with NBA experience.

If we followed the logic that only the veteran coaches need apply, how would Ainge or Skiles have received that first shot?

What was Frank Johnson doing before he started doing a great job in PHO? He was an assistant, that's what, and that's the profile of the guy I want for our next coach.

Sure, some of those guys listed could be another Sid Lowe or Brian Winters, but that's what the interviewing phase is for, to try and get a feel for the drive/style/vision of that prospective coach.

We don't have to hire Davis or Jordan, shoot they weren't in my first four, but I would like the chance to talk to them and see if they do have the right vision, and did they just get a bad team w/ bad personnel when they had their "shot" and maybe they did the best they could with it.

We are a young, vet team...not a collection of thirtysomthings, so a coach like McMillan, Scott, Rivers, or Johnson would suit us fine. I am just looking for that type of coach in this list, and that's why I went that route.

Is EMuss avaliable?....lol....

He's the greatest coach the Hawks have ever had. He's available, and he wants the job.

There really should be no other candidate.

Mike Fratello should be the Hawks head basketball coach. In fact, they never should have gotten rid of him in the first place.