mrhonline

• Premium Member

and offer Al Harrington/John Edwards to them for:

2007 1st rounder (lotto protected)

Chris Mihm

Brian Cook

Aaron McKie

$5.5M cash

1. S&T Harrington for Mihm/McKie/1st/$2.5M cash (maximum deal: 6 years, $64M).

2. John Edwards for Brian Cook/$3M cash

The Hawks would then use $2.5M of the cash to buyout McKie's contract. Your 2006-7 Hawks would then have the following roster:

Claxton/Lue/Ivey

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Childress

Smith/Shellhead/Cook/Batista

Zaza/Mihm/Jones

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

For those wondering, you basically get Mihm and Cook for $1.6M, and a 1st rounder to boot. That's a steal IMHO, and a better deal than the Pacers were offering.

McKie = 2.5M

Mihm = 4.2M

Cook = 1.5M

Total = 8.2M

Edwards = -1.1M

Cash = -5.5M

Total = -6.6M

The Lakers would have:

Parker/Williams/Farmar

Kobe/Evans/Vujacic

Harrington/Walton/Wafer

Odom/Radmon/Turiaf

Brown/Bynum/Edwards

No offense, and I may be in the minority, but I really don't like that deal. It doesn't improve us enough NOW. Plus, screw the lotto protection. In that deal there can be no protection.

I guess I am not as excited about Mihm as some others here. Now, I would talk to the soon to be Oklahoma Sonics about trading AL for Wilcox. He is a young and exciting PF that can probably play some with Marvin and Smoove to provide the most athletic frontline in the league. If the NBA is changing then lets get a 4/5 with some upside who can grow with Marvin and Smoove. There is not one NBA team that would like to play against that frontcourt. CW also started boarding while playing in Seattle. There is a chasm between CW and the Sonics...that is where you find opportunity. The Sonics could more than save face by getting Harrington.

Mihm...or Wilcox? I'll take Wilcox and Philips arena would start rocking again.

Quote:

No offense, and I may be in the minority, but I really don't like that deal. It doesn't improve us enough NOW. Plus, screw the lotto protection. In that deal there can be no protection.

I guess I am not as excited about Mihm as some others here. Now, I would talk to the soon to be Oklahoma Sonics about trading AL for Wilcox. He is a young and exciting PF that can probably play some with Marvin and Smoove to provide the most athletic frontline in the league. If the NBA is changing then lets get a 4/5 with some upside who can grow with Marvin and Smoove. There is not one NBA team that would like to play against that frontcourt. CW also started boarding while playing in Seattle. There is a chasm between CW and the Sonics...that is where you find opportunity. The Sonics could more than save face by getting Harrington.

Mihm...or Wilcox? I'll take Wilcox and Philips arena would start rocking again.

Chris Mihm sucks. He's been in the league for years and hasn't ever really helped a team.

I think we can do a lot better than Mihm but I wouldn't say he sucks. I would just say that he is what he is...a crapped out veteran who can certainly backup the 5 and play some good minutes for you occasionally. You aren't going to the playoffs with Mihm. But, with Wilcox motivated in the middle, you have a guy with some UPSIDE. That may take you to the playoffs. Hawksfantic analyzed the crop of next years FA's and we see that most are really not available. So, lets swing a deal for Wilcox, get some upside and athleticism RIGHT NOW.

Everybody here who wanted Ai makes the argument that we need people in the seats. Well,a Wilcox, Z, Smoove, and Marvin frontline looks pretty strong. Can Wilcox sustain some defense? His boards got much better with the Sonics. So, a young 24 year old athlete with 14/10 last 2 months vs. Mihm. I'll take CW ALL DAY. Come on Billy, make us a move that gets the blood pumping in this town.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Now, I would talk to the soon to be Oklahoma Sonics about trading AL for Wilcox.

I just don't see them getting a 3/4 for avg. $9-10 per to BU Lewis. If they keep a big man it's going to be Wilcox over Al if only because he plays the 4/5 (center to me is a stretch) more.

W

• Premium Member

I don't want Mihm or Wilcox or some other fill in the blank third tread center or a guy whose claim to fame is 28 games of averaging 14/8 and wants 60 million a season for it.

No thanks.

I'd rather give Lo Wright a one year deal and go after Chris Kaman next offseason to bring in a talented young big man whose getting better every season he's been in the league.

Failing that, trade Harrington for Camby.

Wilcox and the Sonics are at an impasse. Wilcox may play this year on a one year qualifying offer which frees him up after 2006. Then he goes to the highest bidder and with another good year he will be in huge demand. The Sonics shouldn't wait...let them do a deal with the Hawks right now that pairs AL with Rashard Lewis and get rid of the Wilcox issue. Its just a thought. Billy rarely does what I like so I'm hardly holding my breath. But Chris Wilcox is a young athlete just starting to figure this NBA stuff out. He learned on somebodies elses dime...we reap the rewards.

Anyhow, what big would someone prefer over Wilcox? That could be a pretty good discussion.

Kaman isn't going anywhere. The Clips love his style, his work ethic, and he is young and learning fast. They match us. That is the issue. Who on the FA list looks like they might not be retained or matched? And would we have to pay thru the nose again to get another FA?

What I want is someone paying heavier for AL. Mihm just doesn't do anything to really advance the cause. Wilcox is the best option that I see in the current and available category.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Kaman isn't going anywhere. The Clips love his style, his work ethic, and he is young and learning fast. They match us. That is the issue. Who on the FA list looks like they might not be retained or matched? And would we have to pay thru the nose again to get another FA?

What I want is someone paying heavier for AL. Mihm just doesn't do anything to really advance the cause. Wilcox is the best option that I see in the current and available category.

The Clips will NOT pay the luxury tax. They won't spend more than 10 million a season to keep him. Both Kaman and Hinrich could easily be luxury tax victims next offseason. Can you imagine both of those guys on our team? Just one of them would be better than wasting our cap space on a guy like Wilcox.

Quote:

The Clips will NOT pay the luxury tax. They won't spend more than 10 million a season to keep him. Both Kaman and Hinrich could easily be luxury tax victims next offseason. Can you imagine both of those guys on our team? Just one of them would be better than wasting our cap space on a guy like Wilcox.

Both teams could pay Max for their guys and still be under the luxury tax. I can't see them being luxury tax victims unless Chicago/LA decide to spend a bunch of money before resigning their guys.

Plus, who would want to pay Max for either of them? That has overpaid written all over it.

Hinrich is 100% not coming and Kaman isn't likely. For a Kaman the Clips would hold a pretty big deal over our head and say OK...here is what it takes to get Kaman.

See, we have been impotent to this point because we hold more cards than anyone realizes, unless Charlotte suddenly wanted AL. So, lets make somebody give us a real trade for a guy who can score 19ppg. Thats what teams do to us. Lets get some help right now that helps us contend for a playoff spot.

• Premium Member

If there's anyone that's worth the max or close to it and available its definitely Hinrich and Kaman. Both of them are exactly the kind of young, hungry players that a team like Atlanta needs to have in order to actually start winning. Hinrich is the best point guard leader of a team since Thomas and Kaman could be an easy 16/11 guy for us for years. I don't believe either one of their teams will spend the max or even over 10 million a season for them. They won't match if we signed them so we don't need to trade for them.

Wasting our cap space on a guy like Wilcox is the WORST thing we could do. He has done nothing in the NBA except average 14/8 over 28 games. Wow. That's average for a NBA PF/C. Why overpay for mediocre?

So we want to commit $6.25 mil to a backup point guard and $3.5 mil on a back-up back-up point guard? And we want to pay Max money for a starting point guard? Thats about $22 million on the point guard position alone. I seriously doubt that we do that.

Hinrich is not worth a Max deal. Kaman maybe, but LA can match that and probably will without hesitation. Do you really think they let him walk and leave Zeljko Rebraca and Aaron Williams as their starting 5?

• Premium Member

They don't want to set a precedent by giving Kaman a max deal then having to deal with overpaying their own guys to keep them. Let's don't discount the Donald Sterling factor either: he's the literal case example used in all sports for a cheap owner. Why would he ok giving Kaman a max deal or matching one for him?

As for Hinrich, we can dish out Lue or Claxton if need be for a servicable backup point guard. Claxton is not a franchise point guard and frankly isn't even really a starting one. He's best served as a sixth man off the bench in the PG role like he was used in NO/OKC.

Quote:

They don't want to set a precedent by giving Kaman a max deal then having to deal with overpaying their own guys to keep them. Let's don't discount the Donald Sterling factor either: he's the literal case example used in all sports for a cheap owner. Why would he ok giving Kaman a max deal or matching one for him?

What "own guys" are you talking about? The only one they have on a rookie contract is Livingston and the new guy they picked up this year. It is fairly obvious they will give Livingston a Max or near Max deal when the time comes. And they already did set a precedent, they gave Brand a Max deal when the Max was worth more.

Quote:

As for Hinrich, we can dish out Lue or Claxton if need be for a servicable backup point guard. Claxton is not a franchise point guard and frankly isn't even really a starting one. He's best served as a sixth man off the bench in the PG role like he was used in NO/OKC.

I doubt that. Plus, it is very obvious that BK believes Speedy is our starting PG. Just look at all he has said about Speedy. And you don't pay $6+ mil for a back-up, he is our starting PG whether you like it or not.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

What "own guys" are you talking about? The only one they have on a rookie contract is Livingston and the new guy they picked up this year. It is fairly obvious they will give Livingston a Max or near Max deal when the time comes. And they already did set a precedent, they gave Brand a Max deal when the Max was worth more.

Quote:

I doubt that. Plus, it is very obvious that BK believes Speedy is our starting PG. Just look at all he has said about Speedy. And you don't pay $6+ mil for a back-up, he is our starting PG whether you like it or not.

So according to you we should either

A. Fill up our cap with mediocre players

Or

B. Never actually make an effort to bring real talent on the team instead of someone's castoff (Claxton)

Should we bother to play the games or just mail those in as well? tongue.gif

The Clippers will not give Kaman a max deal. The Bulls will not give Hinrich a max deal. We should either take a one year rental at center and shoot for the moon in the 2007 FA or find a way to get someone with real talent (Camby) without overpaying to get him. This roster as it stands now is going to be yet another lottery team with a huge hole in the interior.