• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

(if rumors are true) Offseason: Success or Failure

TheDude

if rumors about the Al trade for 1st round pick and cash are true...and if we get LoWright/Kandi as our backup center..

With those to Ifs, would you consider our offseason a success?

I think I would say yes. We have identified our weak areas and gotten players that will help us in those areas without spending a crapload of money. Not superstars but definite improvements that would help win some of those close games we lost in the end.

This post is ownership situation aside.

I have to agree with you. Since we can't or it doesn't look like we want to take on any more salary of significance until this ownership debacle gets settled we have done great assuming we get the 1rounder and cash for AL. Then we go out and get a solid backup C. I think you have to give this offseason an A+ really considering the circumstances with the ownership.

Agreed...I would have liked to see Magloire come in for a one-year cameo (fully motivated in his contract year) and see if we could make a run at he 7th or 8th playoff spot...but not if we had to give up an asset to get him I suppose...and it wouldn't have made us better long-term.

Overall, as long as we get a serviceable big for depth, it should be a fun team to watch next year. Plus if we get the 1st round pick at least we can enjoy next years draft talk.

I'd give em an A-

Shelden C-

Speedy B-

Solomon D

Al SNT with Indy C-

This offseason has been below par. The telegraphed selection of an unathlete, a career backup PG with injury history, an inferior 2nd round choice...only possibly getting a 1st for Al. Add it up and a team with 39 wins in two years needed a lot more. Add Lazy Lo or Kandi and you get players only Bernie Mullen likes.

BTW, last year during the 2-16 start I called Mullen about how bad Woody was coaching. He was one of the worst sounding execs that I have ever heard. The call lasted 5 minutes and it became clear to me that the Hawks are run by a bunch of rubes. One thing he said was that they wanted a "rookie" head coach so that their coaching staff and young players could all LEARN together. My response was that I would prefer a coach who wasn't learning on the job around a young team like the Hawks. He said Woody makes mistakes "all the time" but he will probably be a good coach. That's when I knew we were all in trouble. Bernie leaves a lot to be desired as the Prez of an NBA franchise.

Right now it seems like the best case scenario would be to get a 1st round pick and Lo. To me that would be a disappointing offseason overall. Sure they addressed the wholes in the lineup but they didn't get the best players they could have gotten.

Assuming they get Lo and the pick i would give them a C.

Quote:

received poor value in the draft ala Chillz revisited

received poor value in Harrington S&T

received mediocre results on FA acquisitions

but hey make sure you
grin.gif

What could you have done THAT THE OTHER GM'S WOULD HAVE AGREED TO that would have been that much better.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

received poor value in the draft ala Chillz revisited

received poor value in Harrington S&T

received mediocre results on FA acquisitions

but hey make sure you
grin.gif

What could you have done THAT THE OTHER GM'S WOULD HAVE AGREED TO that would have been that much better.

Your point (that we don't know what BK could have done given the interest from other GMs), is the same reason he can't answer that question. Nobody knows what BK was offered or when for sure.

Guest Walter

= C, Al = incomplete...C- overall. You can't build a championship team with anything less than a B. Unwillingness to make major, significant changes...F.

The philosophy this offseason failed the grade, the execution if all is to happen won't get you past a 1st rd exit...really this team may have lost it's rebuilding momentum, meaning soon enough it may have to start all over again.

W

Realistically, if the team is going t challenge for a championship it will require that Josh and Marvin become what we all hope they will become. That will probably mean we are at least 2 years out from that and probably 3. By that time the roster will have changed some more - but I wouldn't think a total rebuild should be necessary.

Wish we would have heard more today about the rumored FA big. After reading the many posts on Kandi, I'm beginning to think we might be better off with a guy like Cato for a couple years. No real upside on the guy but you pretty much know what your getting and he might be more stable and reliable. By the time the team is ready to make the jump to real contender he'd be gone anyway and hopefully replaced by better talent.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Realistically, if the team is going t challenge for a championship it will require that Josh and Marvin become what we all hope they will become.

You mean one of them traded? Their both Sfs. Get use to it. Without a dominant 2-way center I can't see that experiment working and neither does ownership.

BK screwed up this offseason. Had draft capitol, Al, and cap space to do just about anything. What a ho, hum offseason given all that potential. Srewed it up royally! We won't have near this flexibility in coming years and with our benching 2 out of our 4 top picks we could have used our young talent spread out more. Shameful lack of creativity and backbone by BK.

W

Quote:

Nobody knows what BK was offered or when for sure.

We do know with reasonable certainty that BK was offered Artest for Al straight up during the season. We also know that the offers BK is getting for Al now aren't as good as that one.

If you were walking down a sidewalk and saw a $100 bill on the ground would you pick it up or leave it on the ground because it was dirty?

Quote:

Shelden C-

Speedy B-

Solomon D

Al SNT with Indy C-

Although I follow you line of reasoning with these grades, I think it is premature. In terms of my epxectations they have fallen short. But the truth of the matter is that we will not know until the first of the year, at which time we will see how Woody puts this team together.

I think a significant differnece is JJ's role as a leader. I think he has matured emensely and that will show. I also think it would be damn near impossible to start of the year like we did with Jason's death. When you take that into consideration and how it set the team back 6-8 weeks, evaluating the season from that point was pretty positive. If we can carry that into this season and develop some chemestry, it could be a pleasant surprise.

I fear the distraction of the owner's problems will not fare well and could hinder the development.

I would give us a "D." I just thought that with the elements that we had, we could have come out smelling like Portland. The fifth pick, AL...Cap space. We got Speedy...OK. The rest of the transactions leave me uninspired. I hope I'm wrong about Shelden, but I'm probably his biggest detractor along with TexasPete. I don't care what BK could or couldn't have done..but I would think the way Portland wanted Roy, they would have helped us attain a lot more than...um...Shelden...Bad play. (I support BK..but this offseason has been a debacle!)

Quote:

Quote:

Nobody knows what BK was offered or when for sure.

We do know with reasonable certainty that BK was offered Artest for Al straight up during the season. We also know that the offers BK is getting for Al now aren't as good as that one.

If you were walking down a sidewalk and saw a $100 bill on the ground would you pick it up or leave it on the ground because it was dirty?

that's a terrible comparison ex..you could wash the bill off before it got your other bills dirty..artest is a living, breathing, psychotic man..we don't need that guy rubbing off on our youth.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I would give us a "D." I just thought that with the elements that we had, we could have come out smelling like Portland. The fifth pick, AL...Cap space. We got Speedy...OK. The rest of the transactions leave me uninspired. I hope I'm wrong about Shelden, but I'm probably his biggest detractor along with TexasPete. I don't care what BK could or couldn't have done..but I would think the way Portland wanted Roy, they would have helped us attain a lot more than...um...Shelden...Bad play. (I support BK..but this offseason has been a debacle!)

Last offseason's draft Of MW threw a wrench in our rebuilding plan but this one had so much potential and so little return. It was perhaps the least inspired GMing I've seen in years. So much potential this offseason and NO creativity. None whatsoever. Just bland and bad.

I like the Portland remake also. We had more cap space, FA capitol, player capitol, and a higher draft pick and we still manage nothing except benching not one but two of our top 4 young prospects. At some point this has got to give. Wouldn't the best time have been when the team had the most flexibility? I dont' see a good time for many years. No draft pick next year. Resigning Chill and JS starts the following. Just horrible GMing.

W