• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ill be dissappointed if JJ plays near 6th most MPG

Guest Walter

...this year as last offseason. His 40.73 MPG was far too much even for an iron man like JJ. Charlotte is already talking about closely watching Paul's minutes and I hope Woody does the same. I would like to see no more than 38 minutes per game for JJ and would be happiest with 36-37.

Of other note: it would be nice to see one Hawk amongst top 20 in steals and potentially 2 top 20 in assists (Pheonix had that last year). I would also like ZaZa top 20 in total rebounds not simply offensive ones (for obvious reasons given his FG%).

Perhaps this thread should evolve into our statistical christmas list.

W

• Moderators

I agree totally about JJs minutes. Can you imagine if he had to play in the playoffs last year. He was spent by the end of the season.

I think this year will have a much bigger player rotation. Speedy being hurt may throw a kink in things but compared to last year we should see a much different guard rotation. Speedy will get a lot of minutes but you know Lue will too. I also expect Salim's minutes to go up.

The thing I'm concerned about is what guard combination allows JJ out of the game? It will have to be with Chill at the 2 because I don't think we can play any 2 guard combo of Speedy/Lue/Salim without getting torched defensively. Maybe I'm wrong.

JJ can play 40 minutes like he did in Phoenix as the 4th option but here things are different. Last season he was the first option and a major ballhandler all over the court and using that extra energy in those 40 minutes wore him out towards the end of the season. I'd like to see him playing 38 min a game maximum but closer to 35 minutes. The rest should go to Chilz and Salim.

Quote:

Charlotte is already talking about closely watching Paul's minutes and I hope Woody does the same.

Why would Charlotte or Woody worry about Paul's minutes?

I don't think it is a big deal at all. So long as the other players on the team get minutes, having JJ play big minutes isn't that big of a deal. I just don't want Woody giving away inconsistent minutes.

Hawksfanatic:

Yes and no.

If we, the Hawks, feel that we just can't do without JJ for a few minutes in any game because he can't be replaced,

then I agree, he shouldn't come out.

On the other hand, if we feel that we would be much better

off, late in each game, if we had a somewhat rested JJ

on the floor AND we had someone that was somewhat capable

of not letting the game get away while JJ spent a few

minutes on the bench, then he needs to come out at some

point in the game. Maybe two or three times for a short

break.

Gray Mule

tongue.gif

Quote:

Here's the Chris Paul link...

http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/1084/chris_paul/

...and I do think it's a big deal. With Childress, Lue, and Speedy, JJ shouldn't have to play 40.5+ MPG. Even without them you wouldn't want him to. We do want JJ to have some legs left during the portion of his contract when his and our other young talent's play together might matter, right?

W

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Here's the Chris Paul link...

http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/1084/chris_paul/

...and I do think it's a big deal. With Childress, Lue, and Speedy, JJ shouldn't have to play 40.5+ MPG. Even without them you wouldn't want him to. We do want JJ to have some legs left during the portion of his contract when his and our other young talent's play together might matter, right?

W

I agree with Walter we should be able to shave some minutes off his time this season. Part of the reason for the high minutes last year was Lue's serious injury. If we can just keep either Lue or Speedy healthy then we will be ahead of the game this year - particularly with another season of experience for Salim and Childress.

Quote:

we had a somewhat rested JJ

on the floor AND we had someone that was somewhat capable

of not letting the game get away while JJ spent a few

minutes on the bench, then he needs to come out at some

point in the game.

that is what Ty Lue is for us. He proved this last year and throughout his career to a degree. While I will certainly attest that Lue bugged the hell out of me many times as a starting pg (as he has a tendency to pound the air out of the ball at times), he's NOT prone to turnovers, is well conditioned/schooled in coming off the bench and remaining fresh, is aggressive enough on O to keep defenses honest...

When this happens, much like last year, I think you'll see JChill in the game (the two should almost be considered a bc unit when Lue's in the game, unless paired WITH JJ)...

Ideally JJ should log 35-37 minutes (imo). I look for Chillz to handle 2,3 and some 1 (yep 1) positions. I believe the experience factor will kick in this year. Smoove getting his ego readjusted at the all-stars, Chillz being dissed by many (keeping them Hungry), Zaza getting less minutes and more on floor defensive help (keeping him fresh). Wow, I can go on, Marvin blossoming into the total Beast he is destined to be. Yeah old man JJ (25) can/will lead this bunch rested.

Some games JJ may require 25-30 minutes while a Salim goes bonkers or Chillz-Marvin-Smoove goes into zone motion.

Quote:

Quote:

why did we let him go and let ivey stay?

Your guess is as good as mine.

As long as we draft forward after forward after forward after forward...and neglect the Pg and C positions then we will hang onto lesser talent at those positions out of need for anyone with a pulse and let guys like Diaw and Donta, who have much more and somewhat more talent IMO, go for very little.

If Donta played Pg at all he would have been starting 2 years ago.

W