• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Recieved Email back from Babcock

Blunt91

I Emailed pete with several questions and answers, I am not sure what he meant about Mike Wilks here is his response.

We are actively talking trade with a number of teams and we will trade anyone if it improves our team...the quicker the better. I have no idea where Drew Barry is today, but he is not the answer...although he would play harder and more aggressively than our guys have the last three games. Mike Wilks has done more than we expected, but we do not expect him to continue to do so.

Pete Babcock

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 1:25 PM

To: askthehawksgm@turner.com

Subject: Ask the Hawks GM

Hi Mr. Babcock, I was wondering do you know if Drew Barry is still pursuing a

basketball carrer of anytype and do you think he could help this club if he

is available. He isn't on the level of his brothers Brent or Jon, but he has

pointguard skills and has size at 6''5. I know we have Mike Wilks now and he

has did an admirable job but he is too small to play alongside Terry. So I

thought someone who had some size and was familiar with the Hawks team might

be able to help. Another thing is and I know you get tired of hearing this

from fans but our play is still horrible and I was wondering why haven't you

are Stan pulled the trigger on a trade to help the team. I know we have

salary cap issues and luxury tax but we will still have monetary issues if we

don't make good on our guarentee and have to pay back $500,000 dollars to the

season ticket holders.Well I just wanted to make my voice heard but I hope

you all can do something soon to help this sinking ship of a franchise.

Jessie Blunt

• Premium Member

Well, Dickau is coming back.

I think Babs is more likely to keep Maloney than Wilks. Maybe to Stotts dismay.

There's something else here. I think that Babs is seeking a trade for JT also. Babs realize that the undersized Sg bit will not work here. He said that Barry is not the answer. What that really suggests is that he's through trying to find BIg OGs. I'm thinking that Babs is looking to move Terry for a SG. Maybe something like Terry for Mason or Terry for Battier and then try to make Dickau and Maloney platoon at the PG.

It's definitely not a move that will help in the present, but a future move. One other trade possiblity is Terry/Grob for Spree. Babs has always liked Spree and remember last yr it was rumored that we were sending JT/CC/Hendu to NY for Spree. Well, NY still needs a PG and getting rid of Spree for a PG and SF might be what they want. IF Babs did do something that stupid, I would hope that he got a 1st round pick out of the deal.

Unknown players often have a "honeymoon" period where they play well in part because opposing teams have never bothered (or had an opportunity) to scout them.

After a while, enough game tape accumulates that teams can break down that player's strengths/weaknesses and incorporate them into the game plan.

Marc Jackson a couple of years ago would be the perfect individual example of this.

But it happens to teams, too -- which is why the Hawks could get off to a 6-4 start, then go 6-15 as teams adjusted their game plans. (Last season, the Warriors started off 5-3 before the roof fell in. A year or two before that, the Grizzlies started 4-2 but barely managed to win 20 for the season.)

Atlanta trades: C Nazr Mohammed (2.6 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.1 apg in 10.9 minutes)

SF Glenn Robinson (20.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.9 apg in 37.7 minutes)

Atlanta receives: SG Lavor Postell (3.2 ppg, 0.2 rpg, 0.2 apg in 6.7 minutes)

SF Latrell Sprewell (15.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.4 apg in 37.6 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -4.7 ppg, -6.3 rpg, and +1.6 apg.

New York trades: SG Lavor Postell (3.2 ppg, 0.2 rpg, 0.2 apg in 6.7 minutes)

SF Latrell Sprewell (15.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.4 apg in 37.6 minutes)

New York receives: C Nazr Mohammed (2.6 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.1 apg in 9 games)

SF Glenn Robinson (20.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.9 apg in 30 games)

Change in team outlook: +4.7 ppg, +6.3 rpg, and -1.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Atlanta and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Atlanta and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Meant to tell everyone this...

happened to see Babcock at the Georgia Pitt game on tuesday. Just sightings tidbits, make of it what you will...

maybe he was looking at Brandon Knight...but man, he sure didn't impress me...

if Jarvis goes top ten, someone will regret it. Talk about disappearing for LONG stretches...

he's a solid player with a nice jumper, don't get me wrong, but he needs to be more aggressive and assertive on the floor...

Georgia's really got a nice team now that Thomas is back in the fold. 7 player rotation, though they're going to miss the bu pg that quit

I think he probably just means, Wilks is playing over his head and they can't keep expecting him to play that good. I wouldn't read into it any more than that. By the way, I disagree about Wilks and JT playing together. I think they need to play together in order to move the offense. I don't think size is as big a deal as quickness, and they are both quick.

• Premium Member

We don't have a quick team?

I could understand if we had Richard Jefferson at the SF and Kenyon Martin as a PF... However we got two half court players at those positions.

So being quick is not gong to work. Especially when teams that are better at controlling tempo gets a hold of us and post up our 5'10 and 6'1 Gaurds.

I think that's what Babs was really talking about. Wilks plays well but he's still 5'10. It's still a weakness.

Bottom line is this. I think that either we trade for Jalen Rose or we get JT out of here.

How would we get Rose?

I think Shareef and a first would get us Rose/Crawford/Fizer.

Say bye bye to Wilks and Maloney.

Then Let JT and Crawford fight it out for the PG spot.

That would stabilize us and put us in the playoffs.

Theo/Fizer/Big Dog/Rose/JT.

We'd be really undersized though.

However, Rose is the only thing available that would help JT right now.

I'm thinking we're looking at something to get that Jamal Crawford kid in Chicago. He's been wanting out and wants to start somewhere and he's tall. I say maybe trade Big Dog for Jamal and maybe like a Marcus Fizer. Now that would be fair for both sides.

We would get a tall PG who could guard opposing SGs and also a banger in Fizer.

If we send Robinson to Chicago, we had better be getting Jalen Rose back.

Robinson/Mohammed/Crawford for Rose/Fizer/Crawford/Mason works salary wise. Throw a 2nd at Chicago, just for the [censored] of it.

Both teams are getting rid of their problems and players that have fallen out of favor with coaches, management, or fans.

We need another ballhandler, Rose solves that. Chicago wants the offense to go through Jay Williams, Rose wants the ball in his hands. Robinson just wants to catch and shoot. Solves that problem.

Fizer has been trade bait forever, most believe he's only playing to be showcased. Nazr obviously is not a favorite of Stotts, but Krause would probably take him. Crawford is begging to get out. He's big enough to go in the backcourt with JT, and we could play a Mavs-like 2 PG backcourt, with Jalen at the 3.

Terry/Wilks/Maloney/Dickau

Crawford/Glover/Mason

Rose/Newble/Ham

SAR/Fizer

Theo/Hendu