• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Observations at the open practice

HAWKEYE

Good to meet some of the Squawkers at the open practice. Long lines for the autograph session for Dominique and the players. Lots of interest among the public who are not familiar with this site but are very much interested in it. Lets get the word out! Observations...

Marvin is looking good. Its only practice but I see him improving on the defensive end with more deflections, more blocks, and more steals. The offensive end improvement looks for real too. The plan I guess for the game was to have him go against Josh Smith and he did well.

Josh Smith rained 3 pointers from both corners and at the top of the key. His stroke is very smooth now and shows he has been working on it. I hope he doesn't fall in love with the perimeter because there is lots of damage he could cause inside potentially.

Zaza did not play. Still has that huge bandage covering those stitches over his eye. Solomon Jones has a large boot on one foot. Did he break a ankle of foot?

Salim has lost lots of weight while he is faster he looks a little frail.

The two teams to start the game were Lue- JJ - Shell - Lo Wright- Josh Smith against Salim - J Chill - Andres the Giant the 7 ft Greek guy - Andre Brown - Marvin.

Esteban is still like a human wrecking ball. If he gets anything close to 20 minutes in a game he can be counted on for some very hard fouls to soften things up inside.

Shell was JJ's designated screener on many plays following him on either side and in front to free him up.

Everyone there might have their own highlights but one for me was Marvin completely smothering a drive by JJ at the basket on the left side and cramming the ball in JJs hands going up and coming down in one long motion. The crowd went wild on that one.

Quote:

Esteban is still like a human wrecking ball. If he gets anything close to 20 minutes in a game he can be counted on for some very hard fouls to soften things up inside.

Shell was JJ's designated screener on many plays following him on either side and in front to free him up.

Everyone there might have their own highlights but one for me was Marvin completely smothering a drive by JJ at the basket on the left side and cramming the ball in JJs hands going up and coming down in one long motion. The crowd went wild on that one.

It was my pleasure to meet you at the practice Hawkeye. I saw most of the practice as you did, of course I was next to you. wink.gif

It took all of 10 seconds for Esteban to slam someone to the floor. My highlight was Marvin blocking a baseline attempt, saved the ball from out of bounds (in one motion) and started the break. And that was not the JJ block. He also blocked JSmooves jumper. Marvin was clearly the beast of beast today. Smoove and JJ played well.

I was surprised Smoove avoided the paint (save on aborted drive) offensively. Perhaps as time goes by, he will introduce the team as a low post threat.

Lue played well to me as well as Salim. He is starting to be a favorite with his quickness and shooting. I guesse have forgotten how well he shoots.

As someone said earlier, Marvin and Smoove are scary. They on the court together has to be done. Marvin is frieghtenly good. ooo.gif

Marvin looked almost like Josh Smith with the way he was blocking shots today. I'm not sure how many he had, but he got a couple that were really impressive. He also had a couple of moves that blew me away--he's so quick for a guy who's that big it's just incredible. His jumper wasn't falling today, but we all know that's going to come around for him eventually. When he puts the whole package together, including a post-up game, he's going to be an all-star.

Shelden didn't look as bad as he did during summer league, but he didn't look like a number 5 either. He did have one nice turnaround jumpshot and a nice block, but it seems like he's having trouble finishing around the basket. I think he should lose some weight and get more athletic.

Quote:

Marvin looked almost like Josh Smith with the way he was blocking shots today. I'm not sure how many he had, but he got a couple that were really impressive. He also had a couple of moves that blew me away--he's so quick for a guy who's that big it's just incredible. His jumper wasn't falling today, but we all know that's going to come around for him eventually. When he puts the whole package together, including a post-up game, he's going to be an all-star.

Shelden didn't look as bad as he did during summer league, but he didn't look like a number 5 either. He did have one nice turnaround jumpshot and a nice block, but it seems like he's having trouble finishing around the basket. I think he should lose some weight and get more athletic.

Shelden played good, tough defense. There was a quick whistle out there. Marvin, Chiiz and Brown attacked the post continually. Glyn operated with success mainly against Lo. Shelden will be fine. At some point Smoove will approach the paint,u think.

Marvin looks to be ready to Make the league foul him or Get Out of the Way.

Why does Shelden need to lose weight? He is listed at 250lbs which is the ideal weight for a powerforward. So 5 or 10lbs is going to make him have better stamina? Don't think so. If he is on th slow side, then he is just slow. Maybe he should be doing some drills to increase the explosiveness in his legs?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why does Shelden need to lose weight? He is listed at 250lbs which is the ideal weight for a powerforward. So 5 or 10lbs is going to make him have better stamina? Don't think so. If he is on th slow side, then he is just slow. Maybe he should be doing some drills to increase the explosiveness in his legs?

Elton Brand lost weight last year and was more explosive than at any time in his pro career.

Quote:

Quote:

Elton Brand lost weight last year and was more explosive than at any time in his pro career.

Shelden appears lean and moves well. Don't think it is an issue.

At any rate if it is , train camp will tone them all.

Quote:

since i'm in Uruguay, i can't see my countryman perform live. I ask you friens if he showed something other than hustle and hard fouls. I would like to know your thoughjts.

Watching in drills, I noticed he has a soft shot an easy motion. On the full court handle and pass drill, he did not embarrass himself. I believe Esteban will push Lo and Shelden to betterness(my new word). He is very very much, a welcome piece on this team.

"Swat" you probably remember the final drill after the scrimmage where all the players lined up from end to end the length of the court. They raced across the width of the court and touched the other side and ran back and forth. It was obviously a drill to see who had something left in their tank at the end of the scrimmage. I would guess they ran appx. 10 times back and forth. Well appx. half way thru this drill Shell led everyone with his long powerful strides and it wasn't until the last 2 or three laps that the guards (Lue, Chalmers, and ??Ivey maybe) caught up with him and past him and finished together. Shell does have some stamina and some speed.

He's taller, longer, bigger, stronger, more physical and can carry a higher level of talent offensively. He's got a language barrier and unfrotunately will get the shaft from staff because we used a 5th pick on SW, but Esteban has more upside.

W

Quote:

He's taller, longer, bigger, stronger, more physical and can carry a higher level of talent offensively. He's got a language barrier and unfrotunately will get the shaft from staff because we used a 5th pick on SW, but Esteban has more upside.

W

were you at the scrimmage Walter?