• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I Watched The Game

skyhawk

Living in Houston gave me a chance to watch the game and here are some observations.

- We had abolutely no intensity, no game plan and just looked like a bunch guys playing at the Y....being facetious of course.

- The game was definitely a blowout as the Rockets were hitting everything while the Hawks were cold. We basically settled for jump shots which was very similar to how we played last year.

- Marvin Williams is the real deal so you haters need to shut up. He's going to be a great all-around player as he can do everything on the floor, he's so quick and athletic and he knows how to play the game . I was very surprised at how well he plays defense even though he had trouble with TMAC - but so does everyone else. He even mixed it up with Kirk Snyder who's not a guy you'd want to me ss with.

- I didn't realize that JJ was this good. He is so smooth and is another guy who can do it all. He doesn't attack the rim but he can get inside. Noone should have a problem with the trade or his salary.

- Shelden is going to be okay once he gets more experience. He knows how to play the game, will definitely become a defensive presence and has a nice touch on his jumper - surprisingly so. He's not Sene (jab at Walter) but he's a definitely a good piece to have.

- I'm not hating on Josh Smith but was really disappointed in his lack of intensity and his unwillingness to play inside. He doesn't have the skills of a SF (contrary to popular belief) but he's not a PF either. He's a better passer than I thougt. He had a nice dunk and really nice block (on Alston I believe). Really needs to work on his defensive position and intensity. He's a perfect example of a guy who blocks but isn't a good defender. No way he should start over Marvin if it came down to that.

- Chillz is another guy I like but he still needs to get stronger. More athletic than I thought and don't know why people say he's not a good defender as he is. Does everything well but not great in any area. Definitely a keeper though.

- I always liked Ivey but what's he doing on the team. Showed nothing last night.

- Salim looked okay at PG - certainly not starter quality but he should get better. His shot's off but looked like something's not right with his elbow.

- Lo is a good pickup. Lue is solid for his role..didn't really see much anyone else.

- I've been a big supporter of Woodson'but I 'm starting to question him as a coach. The team looked unprepared, unmotivated and just totally unorganzed. Van Gundy is head-and-shoulders above Woody as a coach.

- Houston is a very good team, with or without Yao. TMAC is a great player - no news there.

- Who's running the show in NO? Snyder is nice player to have on your team and can't understand why they spend big money on Peja and ship this guy off for nothing.

I heard a lot about the work Smoove had put in over the summer. He finished last season on a very high note, and I expect him to be a more complete and dependable player when the season starts. However, news from this game isn't encouraging. It's only preseason, and it's still very early in that. Let's hope this game wasn't representative of what he'll give us in the regular season.

On the other hand, way to go Marv! Looking like the last month of the season was no fluke. Keep taking it to the hole, getting to the line, and swatting shots.

I'm beginning to think it's going to be a back-and-forth thing with Marvin and JSmoove this year. But hey - that's great if they push each other. I guess the whole 'can they play together' thing was a silly arguement. Obviously they can - and once the game starts the matchups/substitution patterns make it to where all 4 of our young forwards will have to be able to work with each other anyway.

Time for me to be really petty here but please!!!! It just irritates the crap out of me that people keep calling Josh Smith SmooTH!! It's SmooVE!! Can I get some validation here from the Hawks faithful. If I'm wrong, then fine. I'll get a life and worry about more serious things. But I'm pretty darn sure it's SmooVE.

Quote:

Time for me to be really petty here but please!!!! It just irritates the crap out of me that people keep calling Josh Smith SmooTH!! It's SmooVE!! Can I get some validation here from the Hawks faithful. If I'm wrong, then fine. I'll get a life and worry about more serious things. But I'm pretty darn sure it's SmooVE.

It's Smoove , I got one of his arm-bands at a game last year and it had that on there.

Quote:

- I'm not hating on Josh Smith but was really disappointed in his lack of intensity and his unwillingness to play inside. He doesn't have the skills of a SF (contrary to popular belief) but he's not a PF either. He's a better passer than I thougt. He had a nice dunk and really nice block (on Alston I believe). Really needs to work on his defensive position and intensity. He's a perfect example of a guy who blocks but isn't a good defender. No way he should start over Marvin if it came down to that.

This is disconcerting because your description sounds like the Josh Smith of last season. If Josh doesn't correct some of his weaknesses, he is going to end up as a player without a true position. His handles are not good enough at SF, his defense isn't good enough at PF. I get the feeling this is going to be one of the big stories of the upcoming season for the Hawks.