• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons

codyatl

I had(have) such high expectations of this team but so afr I am hugely dissapointed. The defense has been awesome but the offense still can not throw the ball. It doesn't matter how well the falcons run the ball eventually teams will put 8-9 in the box every play and shut down the running game. I fear the only way to make this team a super bowl caliber tema is to trade Vick. I have in the past been a huge supporter of what Vick brings to the table but enough is enough. We could get a kings ransom in return for vick added to an already loaded roster would put us over the top. Shaub is a star waiting to happen. It will never happen I fear but it prolly needs to.

Schaub will never be a starter on this team. You should have watched the interview Vick had on HBO because you sure would'nt have made those comments right there. The players dont call the plays they execute them. Knapp is'nt allowing Vick to throw the ball they are not utilizing his talents right. I mean If Marino, Young who are two of the best QB's eved said that the problem is'nt Vick it's the Sorry WR's and OC we have then ,I will listen to what they say. Vick throwing 22 times a game is not going to help us improve our passing game he needs to be given the chance to throw it atleast 35 times a game and we also need real WR'z not imposters. And another thing Vick said we can't run on the 1st and 2nd down all the time he said Defenses have figured that out and that we need new plays. So for Vick to be successful we need to give Lelie more playing time and we need a need OC.

While I agree that Knapp is a huge part of the problem, Vick does have to take a good portion of the blame. Last week for example, Vick pulled the ball down and ran instead of making a throw. While that is great for Vick, it means he isn't passing and getting in sync with the wideouts. The receivers, as well, need to work on getting open, and then make catches when the ball gets to them. That drop by Jenkins was just unacceptable.

In all this is a disfunctional offense, and Knapp ultimately is to blame IMO, but Vick should be able to complete a few more passes and learn to take care of the ball a little better.

Trading Vick isn't the answer in any way shape or form. He can be a very successful QB given the right system. Knapp has no idea what that system needs to be. I also wonder if Mora can cut it as well.

In conclusion, GO FALCONS and CRUSH THE STEELERS!!!!

I really think Mike Vick would be better off with a more experienced "Rock of Gibraulter" type coach like Dan Reeves. Somebody who's been through it all and knows about the ups-and-downs of the NFL season. Many thought that the West Coast Offense would be a lousy fit for MV (let's face it, he ain't no Joe Montana, his strengths are way different).

Remember: "Change is good....unless it's bad"

I agree, this WC offense doesn't suit Vick at all. He needs to be in one where he drops back five to seven steps and hits those mid to long passes. It amazes me that they don't do that when everyone in the country can see that they need to.

Let's take a hypothetical for a moment. Say Vick gets hurt at practice and misses that remainder of the season. Schaub gets the rest of the starts obviously. Does anyone here really believe with all their heart that we would still be struggling with the passing game? I believe Schaub would flourish with the receivers we have now and our running game would still be tops in the league.

While I do believe this isn't the best system for Vick and that receivers have dropped some catchable balls, it is also very true that Vick has shown an inability to throw consistently. How many passes were simply thrown too damn fast? How many passes have receivers had to jump up for when they shouldn't have to? How many times has Vick been unable to read defenses and make the necessary adjustments to still get a pass off instead of just panicking and running.

When you're treated as the second coming as far as overall talent, you should be able to assimilate to what the system you're given is. Nobody was complaining when this coach and his system was hired. The system hasn't changed. But Vick has not been able to learn it well enough in the 3 years he's had to get it. He doesn't get it.

I think Vick could be a slightly below average passer (or maybe even average) if he was still in Reeves' system. Our coaches are young jokers IMO - fair weather fellows. Vick needs a proper scheme and some continuity. We would be more balanced and the occasional highlight scramble would actually work because defenses would have to respect the pass. As it stands I could gameplan against the Falcons...8 or nine in the box...protect the corners...collapse the pocket.

I agree to a point, but face it, Knapp hasn't really produced much, either here of SF. I think he had one good year in SF and then it went bad from there. TO might be part of that or maybe it was just Knapp.

There are systems and then there are systems. Meaning, some guys are better suited for one type of offense and others for other types. Vick just isn't a pocket 3 step QB. Hard thrown balls can be a problem, but other QBs are known to have rockets for arms and receivers caught their passes (George to Mathis, Risen, etc, for example). Vick just needs to throw down field.

I agree Vick does look clueless at times on the field, while at other times it looks like he knows what he wants to do, but is hindered by poor routs or a .4 second pocket.

If Shaub does come in and perform well, then we'll definately have a problem, but lets see if it comes to that.

I still place more blame on Knapp and his poor play calling and over all poor design of the passing system.

Mora has a mess on his hands. Thing could blow up. Vick said at the beginning of the year that it is put up or shut up. Well . . . . . he ain't shown us yet. And I don't see him commited to making the pass. Hits the eject button too fast and is off. And we will not be a playoff team if we can't increase the use of our wide receivers.

I'd be surprised if they beat the Steelers.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've finally figured Vick out: he's got a split personality. One of them knows how to play football and the other one, well I'm not sure what he knows.

Last two games have been horrible.

Also gotta wonder if it isn't coaching. You have a second year coach that has brought his teams out strong early and fallen apart late. Gotta tell you something. If Mora doesn't salvage this season, he may be gone. He makes a better coordinator than a head coach.