• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

learn to write players' name correctly FGS!!!!

gheorghe

(For God's Sake)

man, i'm tired of people who doesn't care to write or pronounce right the names of foreign players. For example Batista, he is in his second season, and i can't understand how some of you name him "Estaban" or "Batiste", the same with the greek guy. His name is Glyanadakis, is that so imposible to write well?. I see all the variations of his name here. When an american player comes to a foreign country, everyone tries to spell and pronounce his name in the right way, so guys let's make an effort!!!!! Maybe that's not important to you, but it shows how some people only cares about what happens in their own country. Of course i'm glad that some guys in here know where Uruguay is, spell the names Glyanadakis (who is greek and i don't know anything about him)and Esteban Batista correctly and try to support those guys. I don't put you all in the same page, but i think that is a little sign of xenophobia, the " i don't give a [censored] on this guy's name whatever it is" thing. Excuse me if i'm wrong

People mis-spell everyone's name on the board, regardless of nationality or place of origen. Names that aren't common just are mis-spelled. Many people don't want to take the time to look up the names for posting an idea on the board. I don't think it has anything to do with where someone is from per se.

a name that might be common for you might be strange for me. It's only a matter of will to learn, because the name Glyanadakis is also not common for spanish speakers, and neither Pachulia . I know that english is a little bit like the universal language, and i studied it for years. But it's only a little effort to learn what is not "common" for you

You aren't reading what I said. People make mistakes regardless of nationality or language of origen. This isn't about people being English (note that languages are capitalized in English)centric; rather, they want to make an immediate point and spelling is getting in the way. Look down at one of the other posts and you'll see Rajon Rondo's name mis-spelled. People make mistakes, get over it.

Quote:

(For God's Sake)

man, i'm tired of people who doesn't care to write or pronounce right the names of foreign players. For example Batista, he is in his second season, and i can't understand how some of you name him "Estaban" or "Batiste", the same with the greek guy. His name is Glyanadakis, is that so imposible to write well?. I see all the variations of his name here. When an american player comes to a foreign country, everyone tries to spell and pronounce his name in the right way, so guys let's make an effort!!!!! Maybe that's not important to you, but it shows how some people only cares about what happens in their own country. Of course i'm glad that some guys in here know where Uruguay is, spell the names Glyanadakis (who is greek and i don't know anything about him)and Esteban Batista correctly and try to support those guys. I don't put you all in the same page, but i think that is a little sign of xenophobia, the " i don't give a [censored] on this guy's name whatever it is" thing. Excuse me if i'm wrong

Every time I see his name in print it comes up as Glyniadakis. Where is your reference?

• Moderators

I agree with that. I make an effort to get the names right but to be honest I still can't decide on Shelden/Sheldon and Woodsen/Woodson. That's why everyone needs nicknames like Este, Smoove, Chill. I can spell those.

Off topic, I'm not feeling good about Este's chances this season. As we've seen with other players once Woody quits playing you you better ask for a trade. Unless they know they are keeping him and are auditioning the other bigs.

I've traveled quite a bit around this world, and I really like trying to pronounce and spell names correctly. That being said internet message boards spelling is a distant 2nd to communicating your point. One guy misspelled origin 2 times in this thread. It's not an ethnocentric thing to misspell player's names. It's either people who are bad spellers in general, or writing quickly to get to the point. You'll see American names misspelled as well as foreign names.