• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sheldon Williams comparison

codyatl

Quote:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.....shelden has done very well so far this year. forget comparing him to the past, compare him to the people drafted ahead of him and behind him. then you see how well he's doing.

Or maybe just say "hey, this guy just had a 15 rebound game! good job! he also seems to be getting better."

There's no real evalution to make of him after seven whole NBA games. If he often cleans the glass as well as he did in the last game, he'll be good. If not, maybe he'll contribute in other ways. All the negativity is just way overboard at this point.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

of course that comparison is silly Walter. if you want to argue Shellhead pick on somebody your own size
tongue.gifgrin.gifshocked.gif

You lost me.

35th pick (poster's example of why SW will be "OK" tongue.gif) significantly > SW...yikes.

For many of you, you must be looking at SW with beer-goggles. Average rebounding and sex have something in common I guess. If you haven't had enough of either, especially with a little self-medication to settle your nerves and lower your standards further, some pretty d@mn ugly women and marginal mid-1st rd draft picks start looking better than they should or will.

Although it is better to regret drafting the wrong player...

W

I am not sure I get this. If someone compared Randy Foye to Gilbert Arenas and said that he was a slightly worse version of Arenas would you be down on Foye because Arenas is a second round pick?

• Premium Member

Thank you for the compliment. Thanks to my favorite stalker people here may get the impression that I am 100% against this team which is insane. Any older poster here should probably remember me from other sites and knows I care about this team a great deal. I disagree with some of Knight's decisions but I am not slamming the entire team because of it.

As much as I don't like the pick of Shellhead at #5 I really do hope the kid becomes a great Hawk that we can build around. Being a fan of a team, a real fan, means more than being 100% homer or 100% hater.

• Moderators

Quote:

Thank you for the compliment. Thanks to my favorite stalker people here may get the impression that I am 100% against this team which is insane. Any older poster here should probably remember me from other sites and knows I care about this team a great deal. I disagree with some of Knight's decisions but I am not slamming the entire team because of it.

As much as I don't like the pick of Shellhead at #5 I really do hope the kid becomes a great Hawk that we can build around. Being a fan of a team, a real fan, means more than being 100% homer or 100% hater.

I have seen Sothron posting for years on RealGM. He is a real Hawks fan - that shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah last night on Sportscenter they had one of their polls on who would get rookie of the year this year. Guess who was on the ballot to vote for and was only one of 5 names on the poll. Yep Shelden Williams! The only real competition for him right now is Morrison who will probably win the ROY. Foye sucks, Roy is hurt! Shelden is going to get better and better each game this year. He will end up averaging closed to 10rebounds by the end of the year I predict if he plays as many minutes as he played the other night where he pulled down 15 boards. He just needs to get more involved on offense. This guy will average a double double his whole career once he gets settled. He is a beast out there!

I'm sure pulling for Shelden to make a run at ROY. It'll be tough though, especially if he isn't included in the offensive scheme. Morrison put up 27 in a win last night for the B-Cats.

Another guy to watch (not for ROY but because he was touted on this board pre-draft) is Milsap. He had a monster game recently and is a cult hero on the Jazzfanz.com board. They've got like three threads arguing over what his nickname should be. Of course he doesn't get the minutes Shelden does unless a starter is hurt.

Well, as a Hawks fan and detractor of the Williams pick (I still don't agree with #5 considering.....), I will say that I hope he can get 11-12 RPG. Consistency doesn't seem to be a problem with Duke players so maybe he'll become solid. It still irks me that we drafted him with the purpose or knowledge that he wouldn't be a integral part of the offense - We needed the defense, but I haven't seen that much of a difference in the paint.

Dominique said the other day that "that's not what we're going get from Shelden (15PPG)...we think Shelden will be solid."

Quote:

Walt why won't you admit that this past draft was weak?

That isn't an excuse for promising anyone or making a lousy selection. Weak draft? Yes. Lousy selection in a weak draft? Most definately.

Quote:

You know Shelden wouldn't have fell out of the top 10 possibly not the top 8.

I believe he would have fallen past 8 easily and 10 even money based upon several facts. 1) We all but publicized our promise to SW and yet NO TEAM tried to make a deal for him while everyone around him was fought over and traded for. 2) He's a role player.

Quote:

Houston, Golden State or Seattle would have taken Shelden.

My response? Likely not and who cares. If Seattle drafts him then Wilcox is gone and could be ours easier. If Houston? Like I care. We'd still have drafted the more talented player in Roy.

Quote:

He was the best "NBA Ready" bigmen so we drafted him.

Whatever title you want to give him it's obvious he's also the one with the lowest ceiling and isn't "ready" for even role playing duty.

Quote:

We didn't need Roy or Foye. We already had Josh Childress to be the backup 2guard. We took what we could get in a "crappy" draft

We could use Roy and his far greater talent FAR MORE than SW and we can get SW's role playing meager talent FAR EASIER in FAcy or through trade.

I would rather have Roy and Wilcox than SW and Speedy any day on any team. Of course, get Roy and there is no reason not to still get Speedy and run a 3 guard rotation of Roy and Speedy at the Pg and JJ/Roy at the 2. Childress? Great trade bait given JS and he will not remain on this team as BUs and will sign elsewhere. Don't wait until your hand is forced, especially if you can help the team otherwise. Trade Chill (ideally with Harrington).

I admit the draft was weak, but BK's "promise" to a marginal top 10 pick was so weak it was limp and the selection of SW over Roy was terrible no matter what excuse you have for the draft.

W

Quote:

Walt you are a preacher of revisionist history. perhaps you can appreciate the post for what it is.

Shellhead is holding his own. the Hawks have a winning record for the first time in...........

yeah that's right. ride the wave and see where it takes you

...so did KB ironically. He preached against SW and for Roy about as much as anyone.

And top 5 picks "holding their own" (not really) against 35th pick hand selected examples intended to compare "favorably" to SW is not my idea of remotely good drafting.

W

Quote:

It wasnt a deep draft thats why NOBODY traded up or down to move.

Aldridge was traded for, Thomas was traded for, Roy was traded for, Foy was traded twice, Gay was traded. That's more than half the top ten traded. I believe you need to revise your statement. Don't think that just because we telegraph our drafting of SW and no noise about anyone else wanting him comes out suggests teams weren't active in trading for the top 10. They were, just nobody but us was interested in SW.

W

Truth is Walt...there were two good picks as far as "ready to go" PFs in this draft. Williams and Milsap. We took SW at 5 - Milsap went in the second round. It's up in the air as far as which will do better. Similar players - one with mega stats from Duke...the other was the leading rebounder in the NCAA for two years (and a decent scorer cause he was allowed to). IMO it is a dead heat as far as who will be best in the pros. Shelden should be more accomplished but we will see. Jazz fans are going nuts over Milsap the same as we are over Shelden.

Quote:

I am not sure I get this. If someone compared Randy Foye to Gilbert Arenas and said that he was a slightly worse version of Arenas would you be down on Foye because Arenas is a second round pick?

Boozer and Arenas were both far more talented than their draft position. SW is far less talented than his draft position. Average them out and they all should have been drafted around 15.

I didn't choose the 2nd rd example of Boozer but I do find it being a 2nd rder compelling. Milsap may end up being just as good...a 2nd rder...although, I'd have either filled the interior defense need with a FA, trade of Chill/Al, or in the draft with Sene after trading down.

So to answer your question, if I can get the next Boozer or Arenas in the 2nd rd but choose to use a 5th pick on a lesser version of them rather than on a more talented, better player (Roy), then yes, I am disappointed.

It's about using your draft capitol wisely. BK doesn't do that.

W

Quote:

Truth is Walt...there were two good picks as far as "ready to go" PFs in this draft. Williams and Milsap. We took SW at 5 - Milsap went in the second round. It's up in the air as far as which will do better. Similar players - one with mega stats from Duke...the other was the leading rebounder in the NCAA for two years (and a decent scorer cause he was allowed to). IMO it is a dead heat as far as who will be best in the pros. Shelden should be more accomplished but we will see. Jazz fans are going nuts over Milsap the same as we are over Shelden.

"Ready to go" shouldn't have been a priority (rather upside, talent, etc.), nor should Pf (center would have been better) but regardless, Milsap was drafted in the 40s. If he's even close to our 5th pick it's shameful when we passed on Roy for that.

We didn't even give ourselves a chance having promised ourselves into a corner with SW and failing to try out as many players as we could.

W

Jazzfanz discussion of Milsap:

"We simply can't let this guy get away. He won the game for us.... He is a game changer. In my 3 decades of watching NBA basketball I can probably only name a handful of players that fit this mold. I can't remember Jerry ever gushing so much about a young player.

I don't think we can go deep in the playoffs without Millsap as part of our core players over the next 3-4 years."

Had that one right didn't we JB? smirk.gif.

Quote:

so how's UR back Walt?

L4-5, L5-S1. Not good. This isn't the first time and it's happening more often as DDD is a progressive "disease".

I know what to do to recentralize the herniated disks (ancient chinese secret) but I can't do a whole lot to help these disks beyond that. Looks like I'm an artificial disk replacement cadidate; the relatively new surgery that removes your dieing disks at certain levels and replaces them with ball-bearing-like structures that presumably maintain normal movement.

Anyhow, I'm standing at my computer now so one problem semi-solved.

W

Quote:

Quote:

so how's UR back Walt?

L4-5, L5-S1. Not good. This isn't the first time and it's happening more often as DDD is a progressive "disease".

I know what to do to recentralize the herniated disks (ancient chinese secret) but I can't do a whole lot to help these disks beyond that. Looks like I'm an artificial disk replacement cadidate; the relatively new surgery that removes your dieing disks at certain levels and replaces them with ball-bearing-like structures that presumably maintain normal movement.

Anyhow, I'm standing at my computer now so one problem semi-solved.

W

well we are glad you're back Walt. tongue.gif

I've said for the longest time that Shelden WIlliams has potential to be Boozer on offense, Elton Brand on D. That's one helluva combo.

His numbers on those sides of the ball matchup favorably in college and I don't think it will be long before they matchup in the pros.

WHen he actually shows the offensive skills he has at his disposal, our offense is going to be really special.