• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Serious sensible question! Everyone please resond!

TheDude

You know, we've all been talking about this and that as far as what can really improve the team. Alot of it is hopeful whatif youmustbedreamingifyouthinkgarypaytonwantstocomehere but mostly it's because I think we all expected to really make the playoffs even before the organization made the guarantee and are a bit shocked by the season so far.

But let's try to remove our emotions for a moment. We all tend to agree that we are seeming to underacheiver for the talent that we have. Is it more of the players still getting into the flow, especially with the new coach, of working with each other in game situations? Is Theo just now getting back to where he can be because he hasn't played in so long? Will we be just fine if they gel more combined with Terry Stotts better game plan and backtobasics attitude? Would it be a better chance to make the playoffs if we kept the same group and allowed them to gel without changing the chemistry again with a midseason trade? Should we leave well-enough alone?

Or are we correct in our assumptions that a change needs to be done? Do the talented players that we have really not fit in the system that is set? Do we need to trade some offensive firepower for a player that a)is a more defensive-minded all-around player or b)is a better fit in our system(ex.tall pg, jt at sg idea). I think we all beleive we have the talent, but sometimes it's not the right fit. And if we did make some big trade to bring the right people in now, is it still in time to make the playoffs this year?

Another question is, is it too late for the playoffs? I think it's not, but that's because I lose a hundred bucks if they don't, and I'm holding on to all the threads I can.

So what's your honest, sensible, nonemotional, DO-ABLE, solutions to our situation? Something that if you were the GM and getting paid and in the public spotlight, you would feel about the team and do?

It's an interesting thought, giving this team time to get things together and take the blame, collectively, if things don't. As much as I've ranted about wanting to move Big Dog, you bring up a very good point - we have a talented, semi vet team. You can't just make trades to make them, they have to be made with a goal in mind...

I still want to trade Big Dog, and I'd package Nazr with him just for potential, but this team doesn't need to trade any more picks (unless we're actually getting them). The last thing I want to do is force a trade just to trade

i agree weaseldom...we started out with a plethera of first rounds picks and they've been dwindling...next thing you know we'll owe a few...nazr seems to be on many team's list but i guess we haven't got the right deal yet..orlando seems to be the biggest suitor but they haven't got what we want.. except maybe a first pick.

anybody else have a response to the questions?

• Premium Member

Well, I'll play devil's advocate - I think it IS too late (realistically) to make the playoffs and the Hawks should dump some salary - meaning trade away Theo or Big Dog for cap relief, youth, athleticism, draft picks, etc. I hope I am wrong, for I have wasted too much time following their games if they don't make the playoffs. If they do not make it and do not trade, I have less optimism for next year b/c:

1. Theo is not the same player he once was, and will be one year older. Plus, I think the Hawks have been mighty lucky for him to not suffer a significant injury this year.

2. If JT still is not resigned by then, it will be a distraction.

3. One more year of the CBA backcourt - no significant $ to bring in better talent, but only time will tell here...

I also think that the playoff guarantee has screwed this team - they are really forced to make changes whereas most teams would simply "shoot for next year." This year will be a major embarrassment & failure...

I would not be totally against seeing a trade with Detroit for that first round pick (from Memphis) if it meant a chance at James or Anthony (or the European star I have been hearing about). This is a veteran team and could help one of those young stars develop, and would go along way toward building a fan base.

Just my two cents' worth...

• Premium Member

This is sorta a similar situation that faced Fratello his first term as a coach. He had to step in for Hubie Brown. That team went 0-3 under Frattello. Frattello followed Brown to NY, came back to Atlanta 2 seasons Later as an assistant turn coach. It wasn't long that Fratello with that Young team was a 50 win team. While I would rather have Fratello Now. You can't argue with the approach that Stotts is taken yet? He has to undo all the wrong that Lon did. That might take some time. Winning on the road is especially hard for us. However, with a personnell move and patience, I think we might fulfill the playoff promise. NObody else in the east is just running away... [censored], the Wiz, just dropped one to the Raptors (who dressed out 8).

I think some trades that have been made have been made from the hip, so to speak. While I agree with the trades in principle, I realy wonder what the team had in mind when they made these deals.

I don't think Pete will be back after this season. I think there is as good of a chance that he will resign as there is that he will be fired. I've got no clue who will take over. I don't really think it will be Billy Knight, unless he shows that he has a good grasp of what the make up of this team is and what he needs to do with this team.

It has to be decided if we are going to be an offensive minded team like the Dallas Mavericks, a defensive minded team like the Miami Heat, or if we are going to get a good mix of both.

I think it is unfortunate that Terry Stotts got his first head job in such a bad situation, as I'm not sure he will be retained. There is a lot of talk about getting Jeff Van Gundy, which means this team will be defensive minded.

This is nothing more than speculation and conjecture, but I've heard there is a possibility that Van Gundy will be the Hawks GM/Head Coach next year.

Van Gundy's fine...but please don't make him GM and Coach - it's a formula that never ever works...too much power, too much tinkering...ask Larry Brown and Riles, both great coaches in their own right, but Riles the coach should be in the face of Riles the GM every day...think they couldn't use Ricky Davis right now?

i know alot of posts say we need to trade this and get that guy and do this..in my first post on this thread i asked if you should think this group still needs to gel or trades need to be made...

after careful consideration i think it's a combination of the two..we should make a trade but not too many so that we don't have like 2 or 3 people trying to learn to play with each other again...

let's first look at our weakness...i think the biggest thing is good talent but not the right fit as many of you have said...so what's the most efficient way to alleviate the problems?

trade to get one guy. not two or three but just one guy so he can learn the feel of the other players..

and i think it should be a pg. if we have a tall pg who has skills then having jt at the shooting guard position will not be a hinderance...i know we have some problems fitting bigdog in our system with theo not being a big center and sar needing one..

but we can make huge strides by just getting a good tall pointguard who can defend and really play the position...we do that one thing and we will instantly be better..everyone is playing a natural position, defense is better, and matchups are ok..

sorry about the long message but after thought, i feel large-scale changes don't need to be made but that one change would be VERY effective.

for all that's it's worth, i'd like an andre miller on our team..then we just need to feel out the best indentity for the team..the d will come then if big dog works...

if the next question would be HOW we would get an Andre Miller, let's see...clippers don't like to spend money and seem to be on the outs with andre so that's good for us...we give them a 1st rounder(yes, i know, another one) and some filler like glover or something...clippers like to have number one picks it seems althought they still can't get better..that's the only thing i can think of without tampering with our starting lineup too much(as my last post said, don't want to tamper too much).

i just want to win, that's all..not asking too much..but i want to win now and i want to go to the playoffs dammit and we should be able to..