• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons hire Petrino!

TroyMcClure

Quote:

Oh Yeah Chris Mortensen is a realiable source of information, but it does'nt matter Vick is the starting QB of this team whether you guys like it or not.

oh I like Vick. I think he's a unique talent. if he harnesses that talent then he'll win us a superbowl. if he continues to think he's god's gift to sports we'll continue to see the Falcons struggle.

any way you look at it he needs a babysitter. on the Schaub side of this thing if Mort is to be believed the Falcons are holding onto Schaub for this year. I agree Vick needs to be held accountable but assuming Vick gets focused I think he'll do just fine now that Knapp's whacked out system is out the door. I was really hoping we could get a first for Schaub this offseason. oh well. If Vick gets hurt next year we'll be glad Shockley isn't starting.

Paul (Augusta): Gary Hiring Petrino tells me the Falcons are serious about holding Vick accountable this year. What are your thoughts on this move?

Gary Horton: (2:12 PM ET ) I think the organization including the owner would like Vick to be the QB for the next several years because of their investment in him. But I agree, the hiring of Petrino signals that it will be up to him which direction he goes. I don't believe he would have taken this job unless he has the power to decide the QB position. I think this new staff will probably work very hard with Vick for a year to see if they can bring him around. If that doesn't work, they will look in another direction. Petrino has a history of developing QBs. Vick should make some progress under him.

Holy crap you just can't accept any negative criticism of Vick can you? Why do you get so angry and snotty whenever there is an anti-Vick opinion put out there? Are you his mother or just that sensitive?

Anyway, the fact is that if Vick doesn't show Petrino that he can play the QB position like a QB should, he will be benched in favor of somebody else. There's some cold hard truth for you. Now go ahead and call me stupid and everthing else for not supporting Vick 100%. Go ahead, we're all stupid and you know how to fix the Falcons better than anyone.

Vick wont be benched you can forget that regardless of what you say he is not the biggest problem on this team.

Because I can it's my opinion I mean duh, and until Schaub shows me he can win a game and not trip over his own feet then I will change the way I feel, But that will never happen.

• Admin

the point, which seems lost on you, is that there are no guarantees for Mike anymore. While he was NOT the biggest problem last year, his development time is over. The organization will no longer use the "he needs to learn the system" excuse for when he fails to perform at a high level. Arthur Blank made this perfectly clear in the press conference yesterday. Being the starting QB for this team is now based on results and not just who you are.

Guest Atlanta

Our WR's just got better by default. Between our new HC and new OC, the WR's will become fundamentally sound, play at a much higher level, make far less mistakes and learn the offense quickly or they will be gone. Say goodbye to the George Stewart era that led us to being #32 in passing, and say hello to new offensive minds that get excpetional production from their players.

The outstanding WR's coach Hue Jackson has just been hired as our new OC. He will work in tandem with Petrino on trying to hone this offense into a feared passing attack sooner than later.

Many here, including myself, are concerned about our new HC having only 3 years NFL expereince, but hiring quality NFL assistents like this really make me feel better.

Both Petrino and Hue Jackson are very good teachers and developers of young talent. This is huge for our team that has a lot of (slowly) developing talent on it.

'Like losing a father'

By GEOFF HOBSON

January 8, 2007

Updated: 3 p.m.

Jackson

3 p.m.

Bengals Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson lost more than a coach Monday when receivers coach Hue Jackson was tapped to revive the career of quarterback Michael Vick as the Falcons new offensive coordinator.

“It’s like losing a father,” Johnson said. “Hue’s a gem. Michael Vick will be better than ever. Those receivers down there will be sitting there with their mouths hanging open because he makes the game so easy.

“I’m mad. I’m not doing very good right now,” Johnson said. “But I’m happy for Hue because he’s going to be doing what he always wanted to do.”

Bobby Petrino’s move from Louisville to Atlanta as head coach of the Falcons had an immediate impact on the Bengals. Jackson, who worked with Petrino at Arizona State in the early ‘90s, couldn’t be reached for comment. Last week, head coach Marvin Lewis said his coaches are under contract, but they can leave for a promotion.

During his three years in Cincinnati, Jackson, 41, won praise for working with a highly-talented and high-strung group of receivers as Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh racked up the three most prolific seasons by a receiving tandem in club history. They capped it off with this season’s franchise first double 1,000-yard seasons.

While Johnson became the first Bengal to lead the NFL in receiving yardage and the first player to lead his conference in receiving with 1,369 yards, Houshmandzadeh had his first 1,000-yard season with 1,081 and led the AFC with 30 third-down catches.

In 2005 Jackson was a key figure in the drafting of Chris Henry in the third round. In the past two seasons Henry has sat out four games stemming from four arrests, but he’s also been the touchdown maker Jackson saw at West Virginia with 15 of his 67 catches going for touchdowns.

Houshmandzadeh, who had 62 catches in the three seasons before Jackson arrived in 2004, said last month that Jackson is the reason his career took off and reiterated it Monday.

“Hue could relate to you as people,” Houshmandzadeh said. “Everybody knows their Xs and Os, it’s how you get it out of people.”

He certainly got it out of Johnson, whom credited Jackson for helping him mature. Jackson was also a key figure in Johnson’s half-time implosion during the Wild Card Game loss to Pittsburgh at the end of the 2005 season. But both denied published reports that said Johnson put Jackson in a headlock.

Jackson was fond of saying the proof Johnson didn’t do it was because he walked out of the locker room after half time.

“Who am I going to put into a headlock now?” Johnson joked. “The guy knew all about you and how to deal with your off-field problems and adjust and make it work on the field.”

Guest Atlanta

Zimmer_Mike_150.jpg

Mike Zimmer

POSITION: Defensive Coordinator

COLLEGE: Illinois State

NFL EXP: 13th Year

COWBOYS EXP: 13th Year

In 12 NFL seasons - six as the Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator - Mike Zimmer has established himself as one of the league's top assistant coaches. Seven times in his 12 seasons, the Dallas defense finished the year ranked in the top 10 in total defense, and seven times the club ranked in the top 10 in pass defense.

Zimmer assumed the Cowboys defensive coordinator position on Feb. 1, 2000 after directing a Cowboys secondary that was one of the league's best throughout the second half of the 1990s. During his time in Dallas, Zimmer has been a part of six teams that qualified for postseason play, four NFC Eastern Division winners and the Super Bowl XXX champions.

Zimmer has earned respect and recognition from around the NFL as he has adapted his defense to the Cowboys changing rosters and 2005 was no different. He successfully oversaw the transition from the club's base 4-3 defense to a 3-4 system; the first time in club history the Cowboys utilized a 3-4 front as its base defense.

Incorporating as many as three rookies (DeMarcus Ware - who tied for the team lead in sacks with eight - Marcus Spears and Chris Canty) and another first-time starter (Bradie James - who led the team with 109 tackles) in the front seven, Zimmer's unit finished the year 10th in the NFL in total defense. A veteran secondary anchored by three-time Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams and third-year starter Terence Newman, allowed opponents to complete just 54.7% of their passes, the second lowest figure in the league.

Zimmer's 2004 defense struggled with the loss of veteran safety Darren Woodson (back) for the year while rotating through four different players at right cornerback. The Cowboys defense finished the season 16th in total defense, but the unit came together over the final half of the season, recording 17 sacks and 17 turnovers while holding three opponents to 12 points-or-less.

In 2003, Zimmer's defense surrendered an NFL low 253.5 yards-per-game - the sixth best single-season performance in club history. The Cowboys led the NFL in pass defense, and closed the season third in rush defense. The end result helped return Dallas to the playoffs after a three-year absence. The defense held six opponents to less than 10 points while finishing the year as the only NFL club to boast an opponents' pass completion percentage of less than 50% (48.6). The defense also led the NFL in fewest yards allowed on first down (4.13) and fewest first downs (14.3 per-game) while ranking second in scoring defense (16.3). For the first time since 1998, three Dallas defenders earned Pro Bowl recognition as Williams, Glover and linebacker Dexter Coakley represented the NFC in Hawaii.

Despite playing with the youngest secondary in the NFL in 2002, Zimmer's squad finished the year 18th in the NFL in total defense, 15th against the run and 19th against the pass. Only six teams allowed fewer touchdowns than the 32 given up by Dallas, and the 10 rushing touchdowns given up by Dallas was the fifth best total in the league. Five times during the year, the Dallas defense allowed 13 points-or-less. Setting the pace with young players, Zimmer had two rookies, safety Williams and cornerback Derek Ross, tie for fourth in the NFC with five interceptions each.

In 2001, the Cowboys allowed 1,710 rushing yards, a figure that was 927 yards less than the club allowed in 2000 - the largest turnaround in the NFL in 2001. The club's overall defense jumped from 19th in 2000 to fourth in 2001. The Cowboys were third in the NFL (second in the NFC) in pass defense, giving up 180.6 yards-per-game.

The Cowboys 2000 defense battled through a string of injuries that forced a total of five key starters to miss a combined 33 games. The Dallas pass defense once again landed near the top of league rankings, finishing third in the NFL.

Prior to being promoted to defensive coordinator, Zimmer spent five years as Dallas's defensive backs coach and a year as a defensive assistant working with the nickel defense. In six years under Zimmer's watchful eye, the Cowboys pass defense surrendered an average of 190.6 passing yards-per-game, the second lowest figure in the league over that time span. In addition to finishing as one of the top two pass defenses in the league three times in that time frame, Dallas was the only team to have allowed fewer than 176.0 passing yards-per-game over a season three times.

His 1999 unit helped the Cowboys pass defense finish fourth in the NFC and also tied for sixth in the league with 24 interceptions - returning four for touchdowns which tied the club record. His group in 1998 held eight opponents to 200 yards passing-or-less. Deion Sanders led the team with five interceptions and earned his third consecutive Pro Bowl berth, while Woodson earned his fifth straight Pro Bowl appearance after leading the team with 136 tackles. In 1997 the Cowboys finished at or near the top of several NFL pass defense categories, including fewest completions allowed, net yards-per-pass play and yards gained-per-completion. The Cowboys held five opponents to less than 120 yards passing. In 1996, Kevin Smith returned from a ruptured Achilles tendon to tie for the team lead with five interceptions. Woodson earned his third consecutive Pro Bowl berth after finishing with 118 tackles and five interceptions to tie Smith for the team lead. In his first season as defensive backs coach in 1995, Zimmer lost Smith for the year with a ruptured Achilles tendon in the season opener and did not have Sanders' services until Week Nine. Despite the injuries, the secondary surrendered only 204.5 passing yards-per-game, and Dallas returned four interceptions for touchdowns, tying the club record.

As a defensive assistant in 1994, Zimmer worked with the Dallas nickel defense, which helped the secondary finish as the top ranked pass defense in the league.

Before joining the Dallas staff, Zimmer spent five seasons as the defensive coordinator/secondary coach at Washington State. Zimmer's first Cougar defense in 1989 established a school record with 24 interceptions and 48 sacks. In 1993, the Cougars finished eighth in the nation in total defense and second in rushing defense.

Prior to joining the Cougars staff, Zimmer was an assistant at Weber State from 1981-88. Zimmer coached inside linebackers from 1981-84, while adding the duties of defensive coordinator in 1983. From 1985-88, he served as coordinator and oversaw the secondary.

Zimmer began his coaching career as a part-time assistant on defense at the University of Missouri in 1979, coaching, among others, All-Pro cornerbacks Eric Wright (San Francisco 49ers) and Johnnie Poe (New Orleans Saints).

Zimmer played quarterback at Illinois State in 1974. After redshirting the 1975 season, he suffered a broken thumb in the spring of 1976 and was moved to linebacker. A neck injury, suffered during the 1976 season, led to surgery and the end of his playing career. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in physical education in 1979.

Zimmer was a two-time all-conference quarterback at Lockport, Ill., H.S. in 1972-73, playing for his father Bill, who played football at Bradley and later with the San Francisco 49ers. Mike also earned all-conference honors in wrestling and baseball.

Born June 5, 1956 in Peoria, Ill., Zimmer and wife Vikki have three children, Adam (1/13/84) - a coaching assistant with the New Orleans Saints, Marki (4/30/87) and Corri (2/22/90).

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team_coachExec.cfm

could be our new defensive coordinator.

• Moderators

Quote:

His offense does not fit him at all. Now that is not to say that petrino can't tweak it to take advantage of vicks strengths but to say that vick fits his system currently is foolish.

What is his system?

• Admin

His system is real football, not this side show gimmick they've been trying to use around here for years. He likes big blockers, picking up 4-6 yards per rush and making big passes down field.

Honestly I don't see how anyone can say his system doesn't fit Mike Vick. Mike's at his best as a passer when he has to cover some distance and can effectively use the power his arm generates. The short passes the old regime had him doing were obviously not his strong suit. That is evident by Mike's own words and by watching him play in that system.

I think Petrino is a perfect fit here. He's going to give Mike the kind of system he's said he wants, he's going to let him make the passes he's said he can make and he's going to give him the responsibility of being the QB that Mike says he can be. If Mike can't handle it, he'll be gone before Petrino is.

Plus Petrino is about as creative on offense as they come. He will have Mike doing things that nobody expects. Gone are the days of running the college option 10 times per game because that's our OC's idea of creativity.