• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Michael Vick vs. John Elway

CBAreject

John Elway is the QB Reeves compared Vick too. I was interested to see how they stacked up at this point in their careers. I compared Vick's first 6 seasons as a passer to Elway's first 6.

Vick (age 21 - 26):

-games: 74

-comp%: 53.8

-ypa: 6.7

-TD: 71

-INT: 52

Elway (age 23-28):

-games: 85

-comp%: 54.3%

-ypa: 6.8

-TD: 102

-INT: 96

It's interesting that people talk about Elway in discussions about the greatest QB of all-time. However, it's rarely mentioned that Elway would not have been a hall-of-famer if he'd retired at age 32. At that point in his career, he had 158 TDs vs. 157 INTs and a career comp% below 55%. It was what he did between 33 and 38 that made him a HOFer (142 TDs, 69 INTs, 60% comp).

This is just one story of many about QB development. I think Reeves was right when he told Blank his firing would set Vick back. It did, but he's still young, and he has a lot of playing left.

Those are interesting statistics, and they are both #7!

Seriously though Vick will be a lot better if our receivers don't play with butter on their hands this year. Vick actually passed very accurately this year. Plus he ran for 1,000, it seems as if people just disregard those rushing statistics. He accounted for over 3500 yards, had TONS of key drops and still gets bashed by most as the sole reason for our franchise woes.

I realize that every team has drops, but ours are more frequent and seem to come at the worst possible times, like 3rd downs.

Yeah, I don't think Vick passed very accurately, either. I am one of Vick's biggest critics on here. I do, however, think he will be much better under an OC who isn't an idiot. I think he was one of the top players in the NFL under Reeves. The blame can partially fall on his WR's, but Vick just wasn't that good this year. I think if he had a pro-bowl level WR, he probably would've made the pro-bowl, but that says more about the weak NFC QB crop this year.

The stats I posted aren't meant to say Vick will be John Elway...just to say QB's develop into their thirties. It's really not a complement to Vick because John Elway just wasn't that good in his twenties, and Vick hasn't been, either.

An important thing to gather here is that Elway never posted great accuracy marks, and they were kind of stinky in his first 6 years. The reason he still had some good teams is that his deep passing made up for some poorly thrown balls and INT's. If you aren't the most accurate passer, but you have a strong arm, the best thing to do is throw it deep. You have to make shorter passes at a much higher clip to sustain drives. A good WCO QB needs to comp. 65% or more. A deep passer can get away with closer to 50% if he makes a couple of big strikes a game. That leads to big scores and opens up the run game.

The interceptions is a huge difference, other than that I am very surprised that the numbers are so close. I think it was a very wise decision to keep Vick's position coach. Hopefull that will help in the transition.

I think Vick needs a more mature coach than what Mora portrayed. More has to grow up some to become a successful NFL coach.