• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody is a Problem, the SOURCE is KNIGHT...

TexasPete

As much as I dislike Woodson as our coach it is not him that is the real source of the franchises demise. That distinct honor belongs to the infamous and legendary (in his own mind) Billy Knight. Knight has given us the following:

1. Drafted Childress over the logical Deng. Everybody just knew that Deng's name was going to be called when he fell to us...except we crapped on our good fortune and took a decent player. But Deng is an All-Star this year and our guy comes off the bench for the leagues worst team. Its OK to like Chill but to say he was as good as Deng is ludicrous.

2. Took Marvin (project) over the PG we so desperately need and have never had under Knight. A PG is so critical because a good one gets the ball where it needs to be to maximize scoring opportunities on every possesion. And there were TWO incredible PG's available and we took a project when we needed help immediately. This pick won't pan out for a couple more years and we don't have the luxury of waiting. When you suck like the Hawks...you need help now.

3. Took Shelden at 5 over a future ALL-Star (Roy) and another fine young PG in Foye. Shelden is proving to be a total stiff with zero offfensive game. None. His defense has even been questionable as he has trouble with quicker forwards. To make matters worse we promise the kid we are taking him which effectively limits our options to make a deal or trade down. We take a 23 year old rookie who is pretty much done developing. He can't block shots in the NBA. He doesn't play great defense. He isn't remotely athletic. Let us all watch Brandon Roy run off with ROY...a JJ and Roy backcourt would certainly be nice wouldn't it?

4. Signs Claxton, a banged up veteran PG with a long history of injuries. So, this is the genius's version of a starting PG? Finally, we get to see what the GM thinks about who you can get to run the team. The guy has been a disaster who can't play with knee pain. Nothing structurally wrong with the knee but our ineffective PG has his money. Why push it? Oh, and this cat is the worst outside shooter for a PG I have ever seen. Defenses dare him to shoot, sagging back. Awful signing.

5. BLO-orenzen Wright, another terrible player who had almost no interest from other teams. A fat player with lousy skills and little desire. But, we knew him because we had him before...so why did we sign this stiff who can't score even if you left him alone in the gym? What value is he bringing to the table? Why does the coach play this guy?

6. The infamous Al harrington trade which is going to get us a lousy late first round pick for the second best free agent on the market. Our organization decides to only talk with a couple of teams, negating any leverage we might have. We basically get nothing for a front line NBA scorer. Oh, and BK accepts lottery protection for good measure, just in case the pick ever really turned out to be anything. So, Billy basically said, I'll take the pick if its of no real use to you. If it turns out to be a great pick, then you can keep it. Nice work, again Billy.

Yes, our GM is truly a genius, just ask him. The fans don't know much. But, very few fans would promise a draft pick at 5 that they could get at 10...sorry Billy. If the Spirit weren't such an inept collection of dolts you would not have a GM job in the NBA. But, the worst organization in sports says you can stay.

Where do you sign up for a job where screwing everything up royally keeps up gainfully employed? I want some of that action. Kudos to the Atlanta Spirit for crapping on the few fans they have and running a potentially great franchise into oblivion. It takes an awful lot, to do what they have done, but they did it. Nice work.

• Moderators

This is why they will fire Woody and keep BK. BK still believes in the moves he made and if Woody can't make it work then he has to get someone who can. If BK stands behind Woody then he is basically saying he created a terrible team.

We are not as bad as we look. The coaching just isn't working.

Quote:

...We are not as bad as we look. The coaching just isn't working.

One thing I see game after game is our lack of defense on the perimeter. Our inside D is decent at times - until we get worn out. Woody is supposed to be a defensive guru, but other teams can get the open outside shot at will. Heck, there are tons of guys in the nba who can hit wide open shots (as we saw last night). Speedy was quick enough to hold them at bay somewhat in the first half (ended up only down 5 - which still isn't good)...but once he wilted and couldn't answer the bell for the 2nd half, they just knocked down open shots and rebounded and blew us out.

Every team knows the double team JJ strategy will work.

So, unless there is a major turnaround, it looks like we are a team with little offense and a bad defense. confused.gif

Also blame the crappy owners who are keeping this idiot gm around. I don't understand how this guy keeps his job with zero progress and the numerous horrible draft selections he has made. You and I both knew the outcome of the Sheldon Williams pick which is sad because we aren't being paid to do this clown's job.

I refuse to buy the NBA package on Directv until this team is serious about putting a decent product on the floor. Why waste the money, ya know?

Isn't it pathetic that he's still trying to "win" games. We already wasted a year with Marvin, and may have ruined his career. We are now doing the same thing with Shelden and Solomon. Royal Ivey is a better player than Speedy. He has just lost all his confidence in this situation. He can shoot and defend bigger people than Speedy. Ironic that a coach whose only supposed saving grace was player development, can't develop a player.

• Moderators

Quote:

The MW pick also cost us the chance to draft the best player available in the next draft. With MW, we had too many wings, so there was no way we could justify drafting Roy. If we'd drafted a PG, we could've justified adding Roy.

I am not sure that is the case.

We would have had the same teams and need for interior defense except flip Paul and Marvin. I think that with Paul on the team and JJ at SG there is less need for Roy than with Lue at PG and JJ at SG (as we had at the draft) and a forward combo of Chills, Smoove and Marvin. Roy could at least be rationized either as a PG or as a combo guard to start with JJ without Paul. In either case there is still a dire need for interior defense.