• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I don't understand the trade talk...

CBAreject

Sekou published an article today that echoed the opinion of many Squawkers: we need to make a significant trade by the deadline.

I just don't get this line of thinking. What will said trade do for us? Help us win 3-4 more meaningless games? Who are we going to get that's going to make us a playoff team? Anthony Johnson? For crying out loud. This is the most nonsensical foolishness I've seen recently. And people say I'm unrealistic.

If a trade is made, it needs to be one to build for the future. I would trade Lue in the right deal, and that would only help our cause in the draft. This franchise needs a game-changing player, and Anthony Johnson is not what I have in mind.

sometimes to take a few steps forward you must begin by taking a step back.

trading Lue would be a perfect example. trading Ren to a team looking to dump salary or a longterm contract for example. even trading Pachulia may make sense at this juncture, although I'd like to see what he could do under another coach.

• Admin

I think they are looking at players that could help chemistry.

I think we should be looking for impact players. Gasol can be had for the right package. What about Marvin/SW/Zaza for Gasol? Then go after another big man like Ely. A couple second rounders or something.

Ely/Lo

Gasol/Jones

Smith/Thompson

JJ/CHildress

Claxton/Lue

Gasol and JJ would make an awesome combo. Throw in Smith and Childress and you have a team that can compete. Gasol can play a little center and Smith can play a little PF so I think we are covered.

Trading for a player when you still have the same lousy coach will do nothing for you. The player will probably quickly lose respect for BK, Woody and the whole organization. His game and confidence will struggle accordingly. CBA is right. Trading when you are 12 games under won't help anyone. Except the team you are trading with.

I would not give them all that for Gasol. There are 2 reasons. One is it would make them worse, so they'd get a better pick than we would. Second, we're doing them 2 favors in taking him (making them worse, and taking his big contract), so why do we have to give them our last 2 top-5 picks?

JJ/Gasol is a very good combo, but it's not *great*. With Smoove/Childress, I could see the makings of something nice, but we give up our depth and trading chips, so we'd still be without a franchise PG and have no way to acquire him.

I'm for trading for Gasol, but I want to make sure we give up as little as possible and leave ourselves ways to improve further. Because we'd likely miss the playoffs anyway, I'd rather just tank really hard and make that same trade at the end of the season. All the players are under contract, so why not do it after we finish below Memphis?

Quote:

I think we should be looking for impact players. Gasol can be had for the right package. What about Marvin/SW/Zaza for Gasol?

Why not first try and earn a top 3 pick and then offer MW, SW, and ZaZa for Gasol? Then you line up

Oden or Thabeet/Lo

Gasol/Jones

Smith/Thompson

JJ/CHildress

Claxton/Drafted Pg

Quote:

I think they are looking at players that could help chemistry.

I think we should be looking for impact players. Gasol can be had for the right package. What about Marvin/SW/Zaza for Gasol? Then go after another big man like Ely. A couple second rounders or something.

Ely/Lo

Gasol/Jones

Smith/Thompson

JJ/CHildress

Claxton/Lue

Gasol and JJ would make an awesome combo. Throw in Smith and Childress and you have a team that can compete. Gasol can play a little center and Smith can play a little PF so I think we are covered.

I like that line of thinking. The Hawks need to use their young assets (i.e., some combination of Marvin, Sheldon, Zaza, Salim and the Indy pick) to acquire a legit big man like Gasol, Garnett, J. O'Neal or Elton Brand.

You don't make a trade to improve yourself half-way into a season with a franchise-center heavy draft when you're the worst team in the league. We are 1 win away from the worst record in the league. If you take away our 4-1 start, we're the worst team.

There's no reason to trade mid-season when you could wait until the year's over and you've tanked good and hard. We're not making the playoffs either way.

• 1 month later...