• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves offseason...

CBAreject

Quote:

So, you think Frenchy, McCann and Chuck James are gonna' fill the seats? If we lose Andruw, you have to replace him with a younger, cheaper player with similar positive qualities on the the rise. That is J.S. mo. Who's it going to be? Frenchy?

McCann is the most important player to the Braves at this time, when you factor in age! He is truly exceptional. I'm not sold on Frenchy, but he's definitely the fan-favorite of that group (though chubby lil McCann is a close 2nd.)

What will fill seats are wins and a belief that we can win in the post season. Andruw is in no way considered a clutch player in Atlanta. Even Chipper isn't considered clutch due to injury. Andruw in no way "fills seats". Yes he's an exceptional defensive CF, but there are other guys in the majors who can play close to his level- Torii Hunter for example. Andruw is not irreplaceable, especially if he asks for 15-20 mil per season. The only guy I can think of that has such a contract and put up the numbers to back it is Jeter. Manny is a flake, A-Rod can't handle NYC, Beltran- give me a break, who else?

I thought this would be a more eventful offseason for the braves but I am happy with what we did, and didnt do. I absolutely love the deal we made with seattle. The 1 thing that has me worried is Andruw Jones. I think it is a foregone conclusion he will be gone after this season. I understand it and I am cool wiht it. I am not cool with just letting him walk without getting some talent to offset his loss. Now, we arent going to get someone who is going to come in here and hit 50 hrs for him but I believe it is a must to use him to replce some of the young talent we have sent out over the last few years.

One thing most people forget when they talk about the amount of payroll Andruw's departure will create is how Tim Hudson's salary nearly doubles in 2008. There goes alot of that salary space. Smoltz will also be a free agent. He may retire, but something tells me he's got at least 2007/2008 left.

Quote:

Andruw is in no way considered a clutch player in Atlanta. Even Chipper isn't considered clutch due to injury. Andruw in no way "fills seats". Yes he's an exceptional defensive CF, but there are other guys in the majors who can play close to his level

Who says Andruw is not clutch? You? He is hitting the other way more the last two years and is absolutely murdering the ball to left. He has had virtually no protection. How can you say Andruw doesn't sell tickets? I don't pay hard earned money to see Ryan Langerhans ground out. I don't know anyone else who does either. We have maybe 4 players non sports fans (wives, kids, business men, etc.) might know.

(Andruw, Smoltz, Chipper, Francoeur)

Quote:

Quote:

Andruw is in no way considered a clutch player in Atlanta. Even Chipper isn't considered clutch due to injury. Andruw in no way "fills seats". Yes he's an exceptional defensive CF, but there are other guys in the majors who can play close to his level

Who says Andruw is not clutch? You? He is hitting the other way more the last two years and is absolutely murdering the ball to left. He has had virtually no protection. How can you say Andruw doesn't sell tickets? I don't pay hard earned money to see Ryan Langerhans ground out. I don't know anyone else who does either. We have maybe 4 players non sports fans (wives, kids, business men, etc.) might know.

(Andruw, Smoltz, Chipper, Francoeur)

Not including McCann?

• Moderators

Quote:

Braves just traded Adam LaRoche for some picther named Mike Gonzalez- closer from the pirates.

That has long been rumored. Gonzalez is a very good reliever. What has been under discussion is what else the Braves would get and it looks like we aren't getting any of the players we targeted (Duffy or a young pitching prospect).

Quote:

Quote:

Braves just traded Adam LaRoche for some picther named Mike Gonzalez- closer from the pirates.

That has long been rumored. Gonzalez is a very good reliever. What has been under discussion is what else the Braves would get and it looks like we aren't getting any of the players we targeted (Duffy or a young pitching prospect).

I think the prospects part of it aren't public yet. I don't care about Duffy. I think if we keep Gonzalez, it's still a good trade for us. JS sold LaRoche high.

Andruw has a .220 BA with runners in scoring position, and he strikes out way too much. Clutch hitters drive in runs consistently, see Manny Ramirez or even Ryan Howard for examples. A.J. just doesn't produce in the clucth. Yes he has increased his production over the past few years, esp when Chipper has been down, but he is still too inconsistent.

People go to games when the team is winning and they think that the team will do well in the playoffs. Look at the attendance numbers over the past 35 years, and the perception of the team. Players come and go in pro-sports. Yes, we all have favorites, but ultimately most people cheer for a team not for individuals over the long run.

Quote:

Andruw has a .220 BA with runners in scoring position, and he strikes out way too much. Clutch hitters drive in runs consistently, see Manny Ramirez or even Ryan Howard for examples. A.J. just doesn't produce in the clucth. Yes he has increased his production over the past few years, esp when Chipper has been down, but he is still too inconsistent.

People go to games when the team is winning and they think that the team will do well in the playoffs. Look at the attendance numbers over the past 35 years, and the perception of the team. Players come and go in pro-sports. Yes, we all have favorites, but ultimately most people cheer for a team not for individuals over the long run.

we can argue back and forth with one another until we're blue in the face. if we're going to do it right let's start referring to Andruw as the "18 million dollar man"