• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are the Hawks a better team on the road?

Swatguy

That question was posed by Sekou Smith on the AJC.

Sekou

It seems the negative distractions of home are dominant in the collective fragile psyche. We have a young team and when on the road they bond. They come home to Atlanta and negative press, negative fans, ever-present rememberance of failures (drafts and so on). We win and only the Hawks really celebrate. The negative is ever-waiting to turn on the ugly if we lose. Losing mind-set be fans and media seem to have a prophetic effect.

Its terrible not to want to come home.

So to you haters, there, you have your want.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

What a lame conclusion.

It's not "hating" this team to expect or want more for this franchise than what this team has to offer and realizing that with the ownership as it is we likely will not be able to make significant changes (hopefully upgrades and not just changes, but that becomes more and more difficult as time passes) for 2-3 years.

Hating this franchise is wanting what this year's team has to offer it for the next 5-10 years.

W

Quote:

What a lame conclusion.

It's not "hating" this team to expect or want more for this franchise than what this team has to offer and realizing that with the ownership as it is we likely will not be able to make significant changes (hopefully upgrades and not just changes, but that becomes more and more difficult as time passes) for 2-3 years.

Hating this franchise is wanting what this year's team has to offer it for the next 5-10 years.

W

It seems you expect and know what the end is writing "realizing that with the ownership as it is we likely will not be able to make significant changes". You rend success/support for failure and yet you express to be fan-like. Your output is doom and failure ("...(hopefully upgrades and not just changes, but that becomes more and more difficult as time passes) for 2-3 years.")

So what is lame is to purport support as you tear down the fabric of the organization.

That is lame.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Sekou

It seems the negative distractions of home are dominant in the collective fragile psyche. We have a young team and when on the road they bond. They come home to Atlanta and negative press, negative fans, ever-present rememberance of failures (drafts and so on). We win and only the Hawks really celebrate. The negative is ever-waiting to turn on the ugly if we lose. Losing mind-set be fans and media seem to have a prophetic effect.

Professional basketball players get paid good money to do their "job". No complaining...No more flimsy excuses...DO YOUR FRIGGIN JOB!!!!!

Quote:

Quote:

Sekou

Professional basketball players get paid good money to do their "job". No complaining...No more flimsy excuses...DO YOUR FRIGGIN JOB!!!!!

Are you speaking as an owner? Or are you just renting space with opinion?

It is not excuse, the team plays better away from home.

I believe the team collectively needs to mature. Be it from time or addition. A coach can only coach what he has. This team depends on young kids rather than depending on veterans. JJ, Lue, Lo and Speedy are known commodities. The rest are not mature and their effectiveness varies game by game.

The real answer for success is maturity by age or addition. That can be realized by patience or/and addition. It's not really Woody's fault. I know many have to point at the villian, but the villian is maturity.

Interestingly the team will no doubt mature before the message board(s)fanbase.

shocked.gif

That in itself is a reason why they probably play worse at home. The only sell out crowds they get are on nights of concerts or when LA/CLE/some superstar team comes in town and the crowd either sits around on their hands or cheers for the other team. I think this could be a reason.

Quote:

That in itself is a reason why they probably play worse at home. The only sell out crowds they get are on nights of concerts or when LA/CLE/some superstar team comes in town and the crowd either sits around on their hands or cheers for the other team. I think this could be a reason.

anybody thought of that?

the team is still a year away from being competitive, especially without a center.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sekou

Are you speaking as an owner? Or are you just renting space with opinion?

It is not excuse, the team plays better away from home.

It's just my opinion, no harm intended. If they play better on the road, so be it. But I don't want to hear that nonsense about their losing being based on fan support(or the lack there of). Let's face it, they've earned their attendance figures through their play during the last few seasons. It's simple cause and effect. They stink up the joint for the last 8 years and as a result, people decide not to spend their hard earned money on a bad product. Honestly, there was little to no negativity on this board or among the fanbase in general when they were winning at the beginning of the season. The attendance seemed to be better too. All of the negativity didn't start until this team experienced some injuries and began to take a serious nose dive. It reached an all time low when the team appeared to give up a few weeks ago. There were posts everywhere about tanking the season. Then JSmith comes back and we win three straight. Then we lose to the Bobcats TWICE! That's what it has been to be a Hawks fan for the last 8 years. There may be a lot of underlying reasons for why we play the way we play, but it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. What really matters is results. If the Hawks win CONSISTENTLY rather than building everybody up just to let them down time and time again, people will show up and support this team. And why wouldn't they? BK has done a pretty good job of bringing in some strong character guys. All they have to do is win to be embraced by the fanbase. The Falcons are proof of that.

• Premium Member

I think it has nothing to do with location.

I think it's all matchup driven. You saw the other night, we lost to Philly however, the game went like the previous 2 did. We got down, we fought back. However, Philly has bigs that play good defense and they have shooters who can spread out our defense and keep us honest in the zone.

Where we play seems to bring no advantage.

Quote:

I think it has nothing to do with location.

I think it's all matchup driven. You saw the other night, we lost to Philly however, the game went like the previous 2 did. We got down, we fought back. However, Philly has bigs that play good defense and they have shooters who can spread out our defense and keep us honest in the zone.

Where we play seems to bring no advantage.

We can only win if we are on FIRE and can't really miss a shot, but so can any Nba team. It's beucause of Woody that we can't win when we don't shoot well. He doesn't get everybody involved in the offense. If JJ doesn't shoot well for the night than we are done.

• Moderators

Quote:

Hidden in the article are interesting comments from JJ. He says "we aren't built to be an elite team. We've had all these chances."

Could that be a slap at BK?

That stood out to me big-time from the article as well.

• Premium Member

Nah. That's not it either.

I think we played best the other night when JJ was out of the game. I mean, Lue, Smoove, Chillz started out 2nd qtr, 3rd qtr comeback. Matchups are about scoring and getting stops. Andre Miller dominated us in the fourth. That had nothing to do with Woody's style. It had everything to do with our Pg defender. It was right after Chillz went to the bench with his 5th (?) foul. What that suggest to me is that better defense on the PG could have won this game for us.

Yes, it's true that if Smoove or JJ has a bad night, we're in for trouble... however, I think that that's true for any team.

Quote:

Hidden in the article are interesting comments from JJ. He says "we aren't built to be an elite team. We've had all these chances."

Could that be a slap at BK?

absolutely!

However, Joe walked into the situation knowing Marvin was on hand. that pick along with trading our selections for Joe himself (espcially this year's) are the only picks really that can be slam dunk debated on.

Chillz is arguable. Shelden is arguable. where are "these chances?" The Al trade?