• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interview with Marvin Williams

bhatta

I had a chance to quickly interview Marvin this week. It's not much, but he gave some insight into his game and Smoove also chimed in with some thoughts. Check it out: http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_20848.shtml

I hope you enjoy it! I'm hoping to get a chance to speak with some other guys this weekend if I see them around Vegas. I'll post anything I can get.

• Moderators

Quote:

I was hoping he would trying to get better taking his man off the dribble and attacking the rim instead of being just a spot up shooter.

I think all of us see that as a necessary part of his development. Hopefully the coaches will instruct him to do that over the second half of the year. Taking it to the hole is what made him so good in the summer and he has to keep doing that and improve at it to take his offense to the next level. And he already does it some nights.

Thanks for the article!

Well, if Peter Vescey can copy his articles off a Lakers blog, I'm pretty sure I can come here and see what frustrates Hawks fans!

Marvin's a good dude and is really just doing what the coaching staff is asking him to. He really should take it to the basket more often, but the team is trying to establish Zaza and Smoove in the paint, which doesn't really leave much proper space for three slashers. Marvin is one of the best shooters in the league as far as in his form. He's got a Michael Redd-like consistency to it. It'll come together for him soon, and when it does I'm sure he'll be looking to get people in the air with a pump fake and then create a little.

IMO, the Hawks are not using him to the best of his ability. He needs to have the ball in his hands a little more to set up other guys. It's really a shame his passing isn't being utilized more often. I guess that comes down to the Hawks getting more movement as well.

And whenever he drives, he goes through the middle and tries to beat all 5 defenders. How do you fix this?

Isolate him that means put him on one side of the court and everybody else move to the other side and let him go 1 on 1. I can swear he would score 60% of those drives and other 15-20% from the free throw line.

Marvin beats his man of the dribble with ease, but the help defense is what hurts him the most. He usualy comits a charge on a help defender and gets it blocked by the other defender.

Also Marvin needs to do better job of buddy contact with defenders. He needs to go right to their bodies and than put up a layup. He doesn't shield the ball very well.

Running iso plays for Marvin is a really good idea, but that just isn't how Coach Woodson wants to use him. I don't know what else to tell you, really. In speaking with Marvin, he's comfortable in his role and he did a good job of not hinting in any fashion that he is unhappy with it. Smart kid.

Making body contact was one of Marvin's strong characteristics in college. I really am not sure why he is less physical now - probably because he's been moved to the wing. It's really too bad.

Marvin has shy away from contact since injuring his hand. When he came back and he hurt his left hand again when he was being aggressive. He is starting to be aggressive a little bit more of late. His rebounding is an example I am using. He is rebounding better of late then he was right after he came back. He still isn't where he should be. It is a positive sign. Perhaps Roy Williams can help him over the break.

Great article. Sometimes we forget how young Marvin is and how much time we should give him to develop.

All this Chris Paul talk will follow this team until Marvin blososms but whe he does, I am condfident we can make the media finally STFU about the whole situation.

Remember how Damon Stoudamire looked his first 3 years in the league compared to Garnett.

Im not saying, Im just saying.

Don't be surprised if Marvin blossoms and Paul doesn't get any better.

As for now, I want to see Marvin show his athleticism more often. A power slam shouldn't catch me by surprise. I should expect it. Here's to Marvin attacking the basket like Smoove.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Well, if Peter Vescey can copy his articles off a Lakers blog, I'm pretty sure I can come here and see what frustrates Hawks fans!

Marvin's a good dude and is really just doing what the coaching staff is asking him to. He really should take it to the basket more often, but the team is trying to establish Zaza and Smoove in the paint, which doesn't really leave much proper space for three slashers. Marvin is one of the best shooters in the league as far as in his form. He's got a Michael Redd-like consistency to it. It'll come together for him soon, and when it does I'm sure he'll be looking to get people in the air with a pump fake and then create a little.

IMO, the Hawks are not using him to the best of his ability. He needs to have the ball in his hands a little more to set up other guys. It's really a shame his passing isn't being utilized more often. I guess that comes down to the Hawks getting more movement as well.

You're 100% corect and now you can see what kind of screwed up GM and coach we have. Marvin is far and away the best post up player we hae and they are having him shoot jumpers. IMO ZaZa is a complete joke, he might as well be 6-2.

Quote:

You're 100% corect and now you can see what kind of screwed up GM and coach we have.
Marvin is far and away the best post up player we have
and they are having him shoot jumpers. IMO ZaZa is a complete joke, he might as well be 6-2.

rollin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Great article. Sometimes we forget how young Marvin is and how much time we should give him to develop.

Definitely. For reference, in the entire rookie-sophomore game, there were only 3 guys that were as young as Marvin (Farmar, Gay and Bynum).

Great, great point.

It's too bad how impatient people are at times.

I mean I find myself guilty being frustrated with Marvin but how can people not be encouraged about his chances of improving when they watch Smoove blossom before their eyes?