• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress for Telfair?

DeacKillsaDevil

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/col...02=stateChanged

Trade 5:

Ray Allen and Robert Swift to the Celtics

Rashard Lewis to the Bobcats

Sebastian Telfair to the Hawks

Adam Morrison, Gerald Green, Josh Childress, Ryan Gomes, Theo Ratliff and a Bobcats protected first-round pick to the Sonics

Why should the Celtics do it?

AllenDanny Ainge told us on the podcast last week that Paul Pierce was untouchable … so he's going to have to get him some serious help.

He tried to land Allen Iverson and Gasol, but couldn't get it done. Allen may be the only legit veteran whom Ainge could get with his combination of young players and Ratliff.

Would Allen and Swift, an Ainge favorite, put the Celtics over the top? Probably not. But unless Ainge knows some voodoo that can get him KG, I think this is the best the Celtics can do. It will give them a shot -- an outside one -- at winning the East next season.

Why should the Hawks do it?

TelfairBecause Speedy Claxton has been awful and they keep passing on awesome point guards in the draft. With so many athletes on this team, someone needs to help jump-start the offense.

Rajon Rondo (a guy they could've had in the draft instead of Shelden Williams) is better, but I don't think the Celtics are letting him go. Childress is a high price to pay for Telfair, but the Hawks really need to start grooming a young point guard.

Why should the Bobcats do it?

LewisBecause Lewis is much, much better than Morrison. Since Morrison isn't selling tickets, maybe it's better to have him pack up and move back home to an offense that will be better suited for him.

Lewis can opt out of his contract this summer, but the Bobcats are so far under the cap they can afford to pay him whatever he asks. At some point the team has to start spending money and Lewis would be a good start. Put him with Emeka Okafor, Gerald Wallace and Raymond Felton and I think the Bobcats are on to something.

Why should the Sonics do it?

MorrisonThe team is going nowhere, it's bleeding money and it's time for a different direction. This trade gets the Sonics lots of young prospects and plenty of long-term cap relief.

Morrison would be popular, Green has the potential to be a superstar and Childress is one of the more underrated young players in the game. They give up more than they get, no doubt. But the money savings and prospects make this a great deal for the Sonics if you take the long-term perspective.

Will it happen?

Four-way trades are incredibly complicated, so the odds are stacked against this trade. Still, it's something each team should consider.

The Sonics have been strangely quiet as the trade deadline approaches, but lately there have been rumblings that at the very least, Rashard Lewis might get moved.

We know the Celtics are working the phones, so they'll be game.

And given Michael Jordan's recent letter to season-ticket holders promising that the team will be proactive in getting better and spending money, this would be a good time to walk the walk.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of Childress/Salim for Sergio Rodriguez/Pick (top 5 protected, or so...)

Portland has Brandon Roy, Martell Webster, and Darius Miles until further notice. Why do they need Childress more than Sergio?

I probably wouldn't do this trade either, but I'm surprised y'all are ripping him THIS bad. He is still only 21, and people still give Marvin, Livingston, Green, and all the other countless HS players time. Besides, the type of PG he is expected/projected to be and develop into is EXACTLY the type of pg this team needs. Plus Boston has like 3 young PG's, he doesn't get as much of a chance.

I really think he will be a pretty good pg in a few years.

Quote:

Quote:

Plus Boston has like 3 young PG's, he doesn't get as much of a chance.

Rondo is a rookie who can't shoot yet he is playing ahead of Telfair. And the reason they brought Telfair in is because they weren't sold on West as a starting pg.

Rondo is also putting up worse numbers in only 2 less minutes, averages more turnovers, and isn't a good FT shooter.

Like I said, I still wouldn't do the trade, but I don't think Telfair is THAT bad. I agree he isn't playing well for Boston, but he is still only 21. If people give all these other high school players a chance, I think Telfair still deserves one, and I do think he will be a pretty good PG in the future.

Quote:

Telfair got outplayed by Jack and Blake with Portland as well.

Blake was also a 4 year college player who won a national championship, and Jack played 3-4 years, can't remember which. Both are/were older than Telfair.

Quote:

When i watch Telfair i see a shoot first pg who can't shoot. Bad combination. I don't see much playmaking ability or defense to make up for it.

He has playmaking ability, all I'm saying is that noone else writes off all these other HS players, Telfair shouldn't be written off either.

Quote:

Quote:

Blake was also a 4 year college player who won a national championship, and Jack played 3-4 years, can't remember which. Both are/were older than Telfair.

Quote:

When i watch Telfair i see a shoot first pg who can't shoot. Bad combination. I don't see much playmaking ability or defense to make up for it.

He has playmaking ability, all I'm saying is that noone else writes off all these other HS players, Telfair shouldn't be written off either.

This is his 3rd year. Most guys show something by that time. And it isn't like he was playing behind a star like JO did. Jack was a late first and they picked up Blake for 1 mil/yr as a free agent.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is his 3rd year. Most guys show something by that time. And it isn't like he was playing behind a star like JO did. Jack was a late first and they picked up Blake for 1 mil/yr as a free agent.

He HAS shown potential, but what I'm saying is he's only 21, I don't see how people are writing him off when still giving chances to all these other young players.

He will be a pretty good pg in the future, and I would DEFINITELY give him a chance, although not for Childress.