• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN Reports on DJ!

Johnson cleared to start doing noncontact drills

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Hawks guard DerMarr Johnson hopes to play this season and is back at practice, 4½ months after he broke his neck in a car crash.

"I'm way ahead of schedule, and I'm feeling great,'' Johnson said Thursday. "I've just got a little stiffness turning to my right. But other than that, I feel good.''

The 22-year-old Johnson was injured Sept. 13, when his car hit a tree near his home in south Atlanta. He wore a brace for about two months and recently was cleared to start doing noncontact drills.

As he left the court after practice Thursday, he grabbed a ball and dunked, a flash of the talent which led the Hawks to take him in the first round of the 2000 draft after only one season of college basketball at Cincinnati.

He started 46 games last season and averaged 8.4 points -- 10.5 after the All-Star break.

"I'm hitting most of my shots in workouts, and I'm jumping pretty good,'' he said. "I'm kind of surprised at the shape I'm in, going through drills and running. I really don't get that tired. Maybe because I'm young.''

Nicknamed "Slim'' by his teammates because of his lanky, 6-foot-9 frame, Johnson has been a constant presence at games, even before he had the brace removed. In fact, he often sneaks back to the Hawks' practice court during games to work on his shot.

On the court, he's had a presence, too, thanks to Jason Terry and Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Both of them wear sweatbands with "1,'' Johnson's jersey number with the Hawks (17-29).

"I think everyone's just cautious and scared for Slim,'' Abdur-Rahim said. "I'm happy he's doing so well, and hopefully, sooner or later, they'll let him get back here and start practicing.''

Although Johnson feels he's close to returning, trainer Wally Blase said doctors haven't decided if they'll approve it this season.

"I think he's doing remarkable considering the injuries he had,'' Blase said. "He has full range of motion and full strength in his limbs and upper body. It's almost a freak of nature.

"The doctors told him he's one of the only people to go in the hospital with an injury like that and walk out. The type of fractures he had, it's a miracle he's not in a wheelchair.''