• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should Dan Dickau try to score more?

TheDude

At least as a general rule. Hopefully Dan will continue to improve and become a positive contributor to this team. We certainly need for him to step up.

As for Jay Williams, I am not the least bit surprised by his struggles. In fact, I EXPECTED them. Everybody kept talking about what a great PG he was going to be but I never thought he was a sure thing. He was a turnover machine in college but more importantly, he played just as much SG as PG. It always amazed me how people would talk about JT not being a "true PG" in one breath and then saying that Jay Williams was the next great "true PG" in the next breath. I thought he looked a lot more like a SG in college than JT ever did. Chris Duhon is much more of a true PG than Williams ever was a Duke. I think Jay Williams has a chance to be a very good PG but he is definitely no sure thing and even if he does get good, he will not be a J Kidd/John Stockton type PG.

He may lack speed, but he doesn't lack quickness.

I watched Steve Nash when he played at Santa Clara in college. Santa Clara played my Mississippi State Bulldogs in the first round of the 1995 NCAA Tournament when Nash was a junior. That was my first opportunity to see him, and I follwed him from then throughout his senior season at Santa Clara.

At the collegiate level, his game and Dan Dickau's game were identical. They both were players who were more quick than fast. They both were playmakers who had the responsibility of being their teams only scorer and passer. They both had a dead eye shot from the perimeter, could penetrate and kick at will, and could set up their teammates. Both players had the "Can they defend quicker point guards" question mark when they entered the draft.

Nash was a two time conference player of the year and honorable mention AA, while Dickau was conference player of the year in the same conference and a 1st team AA in 2001-2002.

Their college #s over their last two college years:

Steve Nash:

1994-1995

20.9 ppg, 6.4 apg, 4.2 tpg, 1.8 spg, 44.4% FG, 45.4% 3P

1995-1996

17.0 ppg, 6.0 apg, 3.6 tpg, 1.3 spg, 43% FG, 34.4% 3P

Dan Dickau:

2000-2001

18.9 ppg, 6.3 apg, 3.7 tpg, 0.8 spg, 48.5% FG, 48% 3P

2001-2002

21.0 ppg, 4.7 apg, 2.9 tpg, 0.8 spg, 44.1% FG, 45.7% 3P

Their rookie numbers are very comparable as well.

I see nothing that makes me think Dickau won't develop into a Steve Nash type of PG.

....there is some argument over his pro ability. There was a blurb in Sports Illustrated where a pro scout was comparing Duhon to Jameer Nelson from St. Josephs, and this guy stated that he would take Nelson over Duhon.

Honestly though, I thought Dickau was the best pure point guard in the draft, even though some may argue the he wasn't a pure point because he had to score for his team. I didn't think the draft was very strong with point guards though.

This year, I think the best point guard out there is Luke Ridnour at Oregon.

Steve Nash LOOKS quick to me. DD does not. I NEVER thought Nash looked slow or lacked quickness. Even when he was in Phoenix as a backup, I saw a lot of potential in him. Nash is VERY quick with the ball. He gets into the lane at will. He can get his shot of one on one against anybody. He is very difficult to press. None of those attributes apply to DD. I just don't see the comparison to Nash at all. I don't know what NBA player I would compare DD to at this point but it certainly is not Nash.

a better pro. Ford's J leaves a lot to be desired but he runs a team as well as any young PG I have seen in a long time. If he lands on a team with a lot of athletes, look out! If I'm Golden State and I can't get one of the top 5 guys, he's my man.

I agree with you that last year's draft was a very weak PG draft. I didn't think any of them were sure things. I think Jay Williams will be a solid NBA player but I never saw him as a superstar.

Even when he was in Phoenix as a backup, I saw a lot of potential in him."

Agreed!Although Chillz seems to think this was impossible=)

I think Dickau can be slipped into the Vaughn catagory.

• Premium Member

I've been looking at this kid for 3 yrs. He's the next Penny. I know Penny types are out of style.. But he's a 6'6 PG who has handles.... strength and Speed.

I really like Luke.

I like TJ Ford some...

But i have a good feeling about Big House Gaines.

He is no Penny Hardaway though. Penny was the man before his knees went to [censored].

I think Gaines would fit our team right now VERY well. He would be the perfect complement to JT. It wouldn't matter who played the point but Gaines could guard the SG on D. Too bad that we will be sending our pick to the Bucks.