• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should Dan Dickau try to score more?

TheDude

I'm one of the proDickau guys. I think he could definitely turn out to be a good point guard. He plays similiar to Nash(and not cuz he's white...maybe it's the hair). He's been less than exciting this year but has been pretty solid(turnover/assists).

I think he's playing nottoscrewup though. I know he can score. It's not like the NBA hoops are smaller or taller off the ground or anything. And he was a scorer in college. I really think he should try to look for his shots more. The reasoning behind this isn't that we need more points, it's more of to help take defensive pressure off of the other guys. Defenders will have to defend Dan more. Also scoring builds a name for you more than other attributes. I'm not saying he should get away from the things he's doing, but I do think if he looks to score more, he will make a name for himself, causing defenders to defend him more, opening up his teammates more. Plus with him coming off the bench, we'll need his scoring then.

I want dan to succeed cuz I'm a big Gonzaga fan(the cinderella kings).

The only concern I have is timing. Right now the team is doing ok. I don't want him to do anything to hurt that. But if the teams starts again on it's losing ways, we've got nothing to lose. He needs to start lighting it up then in that case.

Opinions on the dickman?

• Admin

He's shown me nothing to indicate that he CAN score more. The guy is horribly streaky in everything he does. One night he won't turn the ball over in 20 minutes of play. The next he'll turn it over 4 times in 5 minutes. One night he'll shoot 3 or 5. The next he shoots 1 of 7.

If the season is tanked, why not. But otherwise, no.

Nash:

10.5 mpg, 3.3 ppg, 2.1 apg, 1.0 topg, 0.3 spg, 1.0 rpg, 42.3% FG, 41.8% 3PT

Dickau:

9.2 mpg, 2.8 ppg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 topg, 0.3 spg, 0.9 rpg, 33.3% FG, 22.2% 3PT

Nash played in 65 games as a rookie. Dickau has played in 21 games and will likely get time in 56 games by the end of the season.

I think both players are more quick than they are fast. Nash is about 2 inches taller and about 10 lbs lighter.

I think Dan has shot the ball poorly in his first season, but I think that has more to do with the transition to the NBA and the deeper 3 point line than his ability. The guy was a great shooter in college, and I don't think he has forgotten how to do that.

What Dan has shown is that he has the instincts. He knows when to push the ball and when to slow it down to set things. He's a terrific ball handler with great court vision and good passing skills. Right now, his shooting and defense are behind the rest of his game.

He will eventually start for someone in the NBA. Whether that will be the Hawks or not depends on Jason Terry's future with the team.

• Admin

Don't try to feed me some [censored] that you actually paid enough attention to a player that rarely played, on a team that was rarely on TV to "tell that he would be pretty good". That's the biggest load of [censored] I've seen posted here in ages. ESPECIALLY coming from you! You're looking at his career stats and trying to sound informed enough to diss Dickau.

Even when the guy was playing heavy minutes his first few years in Dallas, nobody considered him starter quality. Steve Nash was a write off the first few years of his career. The guy wasn't even on the radar. You could ask 1000 people who steve nash was and none of them would dare tell you "this guy is going to be good".

I don't think Dickau has what it takes to be a starter in this league either. But don't try to BS anyone with that Steve Nash garbage.

I never said I thought he would be as good as he

is but I thought he would be a decent player.

Don't try and tell me what I did or didn't believe

you.

I don't have to try and diss Di(khead.All you have

to do is watch him play.

• Admin

I'll say it again. You didn't watch Steve Nash enough to consider him good. We all know how you are so don't try to bs anyone. If someone had come on one of the boards you trolled a few years ago (if you were even around then) and said "steve nash is going to be good". You would have dissed him like you do EVERY OTHER young, up and coming player. So please, take that nonsense somewhere else.

The things that scare me most about him are 1) his lack of quickness and 2) his inability to get his shot off. I HOPE that he is just still working his way back from his knee injury but he looks like the slowest PG in the NBA to me. I think he sees the floor very well and he knows what he should do but I think he has a difficult time executing because of his lack of speed and/or the speed of the opposing players. If he can start to knock down some shots I think that will certainly help but right now, Mike Wilks is a LOT better player and I see why Stotts was giving him the minutes.

Again, I HOPE DD steps up and becomes a good player but right now, I don't know. He just looks so much slower than I remember him being in college. I remember that nbadraft.net said that his NBA comparison was Jason Terry and that he was just as quick as JT with a better J. That comparison was obviously WAY off the mark. JT is quicker than DD running backwards!

• Premium Member

At this point, I don't expect Dickau to prove anything but PROGRESS. Even if JT is traded, I imagine that the Hawks would bring in a veteran for a year or two at the very least...Dickau's contract is cheap, so as long as he gets better, he's a good investment.

BTW, how has Terrence Morris turned out?

A guaranteed 3 year deal is not all that cheap if he doesn't contribute. We could have had Mike Wilks this year for half of what Dickau is making and if we didn't want to keep him after this season, we wouldn't have to.

I NEVER thought DD was brought in here to replace JT as many did but I DID expect him to come in here and at least come close to giving us what Jacque Vaughn gave us last year. That CLEARLY has not been the case. If DD can give us what Jacque gave us last year (and that is not really asking for much), I would be happy with him but as things stand now, he is a tremendous liability when he enters the game. We lost ground against Cleveland and Orlando almost as soon as he entered the game and he wasn't very good against Philly either. Right now, if JT doesn't play AT LEAST 38 minutes, I don't think we can win.

Again, I HOPE he makes it. I think he understands the game and he has a great attitude. I like him! But he has a LONG way to go before I think he can be a quality backup, let alone the successor to JT.

As for Terrence Morris, who cares? He was a 2nd round pick who we didn't have to sign if he didn't pan out in training camp. He went in the 2nd round for a reason, just as Dickau would have if we hadn't stepped up and taken him with the last pick of the first round.

Ok Doc, you say if we give him a chance he will be good. Basically that means JT will have to go. I will take my chances letting Dickau go then JT anyday. Jt has shown that he can play the point. Of course he is not the best PG in the league, but he gives some nice passes and and he gives Reef and Bid Dog the ball in good scoring position. Like I said he is not the best, but he is darn good.

I NEVER thought DD was brought in here to replace JT as many did but I DID expect him to come in here and at least come close to giving us what Jacque Vaughn gave us last year"

i was lumping DD in that group before the season started

he has shown NOTHING at all.And the fact that we lack

vet guards to help him it could be his downfall.

JTFan,

I don't doubt that JT can play ball.

I would rather keep JT than Big Dog, or anyone else (except Reef) for that matter. I think JT and Reef work well together.

I just don't know about salary at the end of the season.

Also, I wish he would reach some sort of equilibrium at PG. Sometimes, when things are covered, he has to score. But, when he plays PG, he won't do it. And we end up with Benjamin shooting a three.

I think if anyone other than Reef is the primary option, it should be Terry. He can create. He NEEDS to understand this.

Play.

I like Dickau too but I think right now Stotts is handling the situation perfectly. Dan will only get better with experience and the knee operation didn't help. Dan is not as slow as he looks. I watched him play in the summer league and was very impressed with him. Stotts plays him to give JT an important rest and as long as he's playing well, he keeps him in. He has a good shot but looks to pass first as a point guard should. Really wish we could find a way to bring Wilks back till Dickau matures. Wilks performance over Philly was exciting!

well by all means i'm not saying get rid of anybody...i'm saying that IF we start sucking again, I'd like to see Dan score some more. If not, let him play his minor minutes and do what he can to win the game.

But we don't need to get rid of JT just because we've got Dan. But I do think Dan can become a very good point guard. And he's also a rookie. I dont' know of many point guards who come in and do well as a rookie. You can see that in Jay Williams. It takes some time. Point guards have to know more than anyone on the court as far as setting up plays and so forth.

Just give the man some time. As someone showed earlier, stats compared to Nash are similiar.