• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

@ what point if any do you ? our need for JJ

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

Just curious. Having never considered it before, do we consider trading Joe Johnson with the success, albeit at home against lesser teams in a small sample size? How about Joe/MW/SW for Pierce/Al Jefferson? Joe/Lue for JO? Joe/ZaZa for Chandler/Mason/10th(?) pick

In the later we lineup:

Chandler

JS/SW

MW/Childress

Childress/Mason

Drafted Pg

I'm not saying it's the end-all lineup. I'm just asking when if ever do we consider JJ legitimately tradable and for what? Is now not the best time?

W

No way, just like Philly without AI, do you actually see that team going anywhere without a significant upgrade?

Unless we get equal value (i.e. an all-star) at a needed position, no way. There is no way in hell Boston would do the Pierce/Jefferson trade, absolutely not possible.

This team has won a few games, but it's obvious we aren't going to do any REAL damage without JJ. If anything, Woodson now realizes he doesn't have to play JJ so many minutes (making his time on the floor more productive), the players know they don't have to rely on JJ as much, and by the same token JJ will now realize he can trust his teammates.

Quote:

This team has won a few games, but it's obvious we aren't going to do any REAL damage without JJ. If anything, Woodson now realizes he doesn't have to play JJ so many minutes (making his time on the floor more productive), the players know they don't have to rely on JJ as much, and by the same token JJ will now realize he can trust his teammates.

Exactly

Yeah...our wins have been impressive, but our opponants have looked like crap over the last 4 games. I'm not even sure how we're doing this...it almost seems like the Wizards, Sixers, and Grizzlies came to lose. The Minnesota game was really impressive and more of a battle, but that's about it.

So overall I feel very confident that we're better off with JJ. I would only trade him if something incredibly unlikely came along....for instance, if Dwight Howard demanded a trade to the Hawks because he wanted to live in Atlanta. In that case, I'd think about giving up JJ. But that's about the only type of scenario I could think of.

Yea I agree with you Walter we should trade JJ, i mean we won 4 straight games without him.

No seriously, why is everybody trying to trade JJ now when we won 4 in a row against bad teams?

I never saw someone post a JJ trade this season until this last few days.

Lakers started like 5-1 this season without Kobe. Cavs have a winning record without James. Miami is like 6-1 or something like that without D-Wade(finals MVP). Seattle has a winning record without Allen this season i believe. It's not because JJ is not playing we are playing well. It's because our coach can not adjust with JJ in the game. Give it to JJ and watch him work. JJ needs to be less involved and be more of a decoy on this team if we want to be successful. Plus he is not selfish and won't get mad if he loses a few touches to let's say J-Smoove.

I would trade JJ for a very good big (meaning a real athletic center) and a solid young role player.

But I don't think we could. SG's aren't that valuable.

IMO anybody who doesn't see the improvement in ball movement lately isn't watching closely. Take away JJ and TLue and we move the ball and get it inside around half the time. We get FTs and get more short offensive rebounds (which JS and Zaza excel at grabbing and can put back up...often getting an "and 1" out of them).

So much of JJ's game (the way Woody has allowed him to play it...or made him play it) has hurt us inside.

Seeing what I've seen recently - if we go back to the "JJ's the man at crunch time" - "it's JJ's team" approach..we will again be where we were before...on another losing streak.

stirthepot.gif

P.S. - defensive effort has improved recently - for some reason or another.(?)

Quote:

IMO anybody who doesn't see the improvement in ball movement lately isn't watching closely.

Nah that's just because we're playing horrible defensive teams and/or tanking teams.

Remember us playing PHX or Golden State, we looked like the Mavs or Suns offensively. In the playoffs and/or big games, you get slowed down to a half court game, and you HAVE to have players that can get their shot. Smith is the only player that can do that now, and I wouldn't yet call him a "goto" player that can get his shot at anytime.

Quote:

...In the playoffs and/or big games, you get slowed down to a half court game, and you HAVE to have players that can get their shot...

I don't agree with your whole point(s) but mostly. I really don't see AJ as anything other than (considerably better than pretty bad). He shoots more than he should and isn't very fast or quick anymore. He's just better than what we had. That's all...and for now it's working. He isn't cr#p. He can still play.

As far as players who can get their own shot - yes - it's important...but ball movement also gets shots and/or situations in our favor.

(and I guess I didn't really address your point at all did I ? - LOL - sorry)

Walter, I'm of the belief that nobody is untradable. I don't get overly sentimentally attached to the individual players...my loyalty is to the Hawks. Joe Johnson is a very good player, but there are plenty of guys in the League I'd rather have.

So to answer your question, yeah I'd consider trading JJ. But not because we won 4 in a row against bad competition without him.

• Premium Member

I think the main thing here is in JJ's role with the team and how Woody is doing his job. That's what's really going on. JJ's a good shooter and a good passer. He's a goto guy and it's "his" team so to speak. So, these young guys are deferring to him on the court. They're standing around watching him and even trying to emulate him with their outside shooting.

Woody hasn't been helping. His gameplan is centered around JJ (as it should be) but it's like he doesn't know what to do with anyone else on the roster.

Hate to Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif but I gotta say Woody is more of the issue here. And you're right, if we bring JJ back with that same gameplan, I see more of the same.

Good grief, Paul Pierce??? Ugh. I watched a ton of Boston games while living in Connecticut and Joe is simply better than Pierce. Paul disappears and is moody as all get out. He's a chucker no doubt about it. Plus his defense is soft.

We can JO without trading JJ IMO. The Pacers have to tear it completely down and start over again. They will want to clear cap, thus we can send other players for JO while keeping our All-Star.

I agree that you have to look at any and all trades regardless of the player, but the trades you mention aren't worth what we have in JJ.

Guest Walter

...and I think Jefferson is just what the doctor ordered for us in the post.

Quote:

We can JO without trading JJ IMO. The Pacers have to tear it completely down and start over again. They will want to clear cap, thus we can send other players for JO while keeping our All-Star.

I don't think Indy can afford to trade JO for less unless they unload the ridiculous amount of contracts they took on from GS to appease him. In short, they won't just trade JO unless they either get something of real value in return or get rid of 1 or 2 BAAAAAAAAD contracts.

W

Quote:

Good grief, Paul Pierce??? Ugh. I watched a ton of Boston games while living in Connecticut and Joe is simply better than Pierce. Paul disappears and is moody as all get out. He's a chucker no doubt about it. Plus his defense is soft.

I agree that you have to look at any and all trades regardless of the player, but the trades you mention aren't worth what we have in JJ.

pierce is better than JJ to be honest, plus the others was kickin our A55 so he wasnt needed.

Quote:

I've never seen such pessmisitc, fickle, flip-flopping posters.

Question our need for JJ because we won a few games without him?

And I do mean few...

The REAL problem is how few games we won WITH him...even when the team was fairly healthy.

JJ probably isn't the problem, we need a top quality PG so JJ doesn't just get double/triple teamed...oh yeah...and a coach that coaches a TEAM. In reality - that coach could even be Woody - if he learns...and gets a PG.

Quote:

The REAL problem is how few games we won WITH him...even when the team was fairly healthy.

JJ probably isn't the problem, we need a top quality PG so JJ doesn't just get double/triple teamed...oh yeah...and a coach that coaches a TEAM. In reality - that coach could even be Woody - if he learns...and gets a PG.

WHen was our team fairly healthy? We've had the injury bug all season long. Even before the season started we were hit with the injury bug.

Quote:

Quote:

pierce is better than JJ to be honest, plus the others was kickin our A55 so he wasnt needed.

Stats say otherwise. Add the fact that JJ is 5-6 years younger and there is no way I'd take Pierce over JJ.

pierce may be older but think about it, pierce has benn better longer than jj, he hits more game winners and when he got injured boston stunk it up.. they went 21-29 with him in the line up..which isnt good 0-18 without him. if he played in 18 of those games they would go at least 9-9 which will be 30-38 which will prob put em in the playoffs. pp is a future hall of famer