• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Salim haters>>> (come on in)....

bumpyphish1

Since he has been getting regular minutes, Salim has been

having good games. Check out the last several games.

He hasn't dominated, as he did last night, but he has

made solid contributions and scored quiet a few points.

Before the JJ injury, when he was put in the game, which

didn't happen every game, it was "Score right now or come back out of the game."

Can you imagine the outcry from all posters here, including

me, if he had been traded recently and then had a game like

last nights. We would have all gone off on management

and the coaches and anyone else we could think of.

He had a night. Enjoy it, even if we did loose. He is

capable of doing this again - and again - and again!!

GO HAWKS !!!

laugh.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

It is funny how we [censored] about not having a pg and how we should have drafted Roy or maybe Acie Law this year..but then our second year combo guard scores 37 in a game. Salim has had more big scoring games than any draft pick that we have had in 10 years. Only Woodson would put that kind of fire power on the bench.

Salim is the only guard on the team that we have never given the chance to start. We have started undrafted NBDL players at the point! You say he is not a distributor, but we don't run that type of offense anyway. Anybody can make an entry pass to Zaza. We all agree that he is the best fast break guard on the team, and that includes Joe.

This is the era of the combo guard. We got burned by a combo guard last night. Chauncey Billups is a combo guard. Tony Parker is. Barbosa is, so is Kirk Hinrich. The only pure pgs are CP, Nash and Jason Kidd and even they look for their shot.

Since we are pretty much done for playoff position, why not give him a shot to start? What do we have to lose?

This is unadulterated truth. Listen to JB. Just about everyone on this board fawns all over Marvin everytime he scores 13-18 points and pulls down 5-7 rebounds but the undersized shooting guard who scores 37 in a game sucks? Did you even see some of those layups he pulled off last night??? The guy is a baller plain and simple. He has natural scoring ability. He was the only one playing in OT last night IMHO. This team needs heart and desire right now. Who's gonna provide that? To be honest, Salim seems to have more intensity and heart than Smoove, Chill, or Marv. He relentlessly drives to the hole and isn't afraid to take big shots, hit or miss. The guy averaged 9 points in limited minutes last season, why not see what he can do if given the time? Why are we so quick to give up on a guy who has shown more in his limited time on the court than our 2nd pick in the draft?

• Premium Member

What's more funny to me is that we [censored] about not getting Roy, when really Roy does the same exact thing as Salim. In fact, Salim is a better shooter, whereas Roy is a better rebounder. All of these guys who predictably called for the GM's head for not selecting Roy after "watching" last night's Boxscores surely didn't watch the game. Roy showed absolutely no ability to run an offense. He should very little in terms of offensive play making. He scored, but his shots were mainly the same type of shots that Chillz get... From the wing with nobody around... I like Roy and I liked him before the draft, but Roy was not a fit for us. He would never replace JJ and having him beside JJ would be similar to having Jim Jackson next to JT. It looks good on Paper, but it's ineffective on the court.

What we need is a guy who can run an offense and control tempo. Going into the last draft, what we needed was a defensive big. It's just that simple. We missed out on Paul and Deron and Felton and even Jarrett Jack. We traded away Dickau. We lack a PG with the skills to share the ball and play on ball defense. Let's hope a recovered Speedy and an AJ can platoon the position until we get our Acie Law or Lawson or Augustin.

• Premium Member

Diesel, I don't understand why you are doing this. Why do you defend the Shelden pick so much? I just don't get your angle on this one. It seems that you are trying to defend the Shelden pick by saying that we didn't/don't need Roy's skillset. Roy played great last night and did a pretty decent job of distributing the ball. He played more like a seasoned veteran than a rookie. Roy could easily play with JJ in the backcourt and start for us right now. You bash the Marvin pick frequently, and perhaps justifiably so, but you like the Shelden pick? Huh??? I'm not trying to flame here but I just don't get it man. confused.gif

Because he originally thought Shelden was the right pick, so he will continue to make excuses for it as the Marvin apologists do, whether it's justified or not.

Regardless, at this point, the Shelden pick was horrible and noone can legitimately defend it.

• Premium Member

It's really simple. I still believe it was the right pick to make. I don't see the value in more duplication when we have needs to fill... It's the same reason why I feel that the Marvin pick was the wrong pick to make.

The problem now, is not a GMing problem, it's a coaching problem. Every time he plays we see goodness out of Solomon and Shelden plays well in his short stints on the court also. However, Woody refuses to play them. I cringe now when I see the lineup turn to Lue, Salim, and Chillz. And that's when the layup drill begins. You don't go small unless you're willing to play Small ball which means running.

My major point is that I expect that it will be a different story when we get better coaching.

Shelden was the right pick.

We had the worst interior defense in the entire NBA.

The entire NBA and we were the worst.

No exaggeration either we literally statistically were the worst team.

So we tooked the most polished interior defender.

Calling him a bust after his rookie season where he has been physically limited by a bum shoulder is ridiculous.

The Shelden pick was terrible.

But I am not going to go all-out and bash it, because it is his rookie season, and he has been hampered by a bad shoulder...

BUT, I will say that from what I have seen Shelden is one of, the worst offensive players in the NBA.

Straight up terrible.

Quote:

These are the very same fans that called Josh Childress a bust after his first season with the Hawks.

And the same ones who said Smoove was just a ticket seller who would never amount to anything.

Yet do they admit they were wrong of course not?

Just like when they are wrong about Marvin and Shelden they won't admit jack squat.

They will have known all along.

Mike Woodson is a terrible coach, but if anybody thinks Salim is ever going to become a 34 mpg guy in the NBA, they're kidding themselves. He cannot create his own shot, he plays bad defense (despite what the Salimophiles say, "he's an underrated defender," yeah yeah I've seen him play and that's BS...he gambles and gets a steal occasionally but usually he gets burned), and bad things tend to happen when he puts the ball on the floor. The Salim dream is to someday be in a situation where he can be the Steve Kerr for his team. But he's always going to be a role player who is brought in to knock down 3 pointers. The idea that he is going to get "regular minutes" like he's some kind of starting PG in the League is absurd. Guys like him are expected to play limited minutes and hit shots. If he can't hit shots with limited minutes, he doesn't belong in the NBA.

To say he can't create his own shot is absurd. And I don't recall Steve Kerr ever scoring 37 points or have a 25 point quarter like he did at NOK last year.

The point is that someone who can produce like that, even sporadically, deserves some damn PT. When you only have won 27 games you cant have +30 point scorers on the bench getting less than 20 mpg. I don't care what you think of Salim as a complete player, you can't deny that truth...and if you do you are indeed a hater and even worse a moron.

Quote:

To say he can't create his own shot is absurd. And I don't recall Steve Kerr ever scoring 37 points or have a 25 point quarter like he did at NOK last year.

The point is that someone who can produce like that, even sporadically, deserves some damn PT. When you only have won 27 games you cant have +30 point scorers on the bench getting less than 20 mpg. I don't care what you think of Salim as a complete player, you can't deny that truth...and if you do you are indeed a hater and even worse a moron.

It's good that a few people around here use this thing called logic.

You're absolutely right. It's not like we have some winning formula that Salim isn't a part of.

We've basically given everyone a chance to start but him.

He and Solomon get shafted in the minutes and ironically they both could probably produce.

Reminds me so much of Norwood on the Falcons.

Use him!

Think of it from Salim's angle. He is thinking "When my shot is on I am virtually unguardable, I score 37 points in an NBA game and I have never gotten a chance to start. Cedric Bozeman can start 5 games but I don't get one effin measley shot."

And people complain that he only makes faces on the court. It is amazing that he isn't a full blown malcontent and call out Woody's azz in the media.

Quote:

Think of it from Salim's angle. He is thinking "When my shot is on I am virtually unguardable, I score 37 points in an NBA game and I have never gotten a chance to start. Cedric Bozeman can start 5 games but I don't get one effin measley shot."

And people complain that he only makes faces on the court. It is amazing that he isn't a full blown malcontent and call out Woody's azz in the media.

You know I really really try to find ways to defend Woody but he makes some decisions that I can't help but question.

Solomon and Salim's minutes are my biggest pet peeves.

Im glad Chill got more minutes and Lo Wright less, but those other 2 guys seriously need more minutes at this point.

Don't be blinded by one great game. That's classic Salim. One great game followed by 10 lousy ones. The guy's got a PER this year of 10.07 and plays lousy D. He'll probably always have a place in the NBA because he can make open 3's, but he's a role player and nothing more. I mean, the guy is shooting under 40% and has almost as many turnovers as assists and you guys love him?

If you look at the games where he gets minutes, he usually has a good scoring game. You don't score 37 points in an NBA game by luck. He is the most talented scorer we have drafted in at least 10 years. If you don't think that he could be the answer at PG then that's fine, but you are crazy if you don't think that he needs more than 10-15mpg.

Quote:

::Hits nail on head::