AJC article on the Loss to the Bobkittens

Guest Walter

Woody says that he's going to play the guys who defend and rebound . . . yet, Solomon Jones got a DNP last night.

The PG penetration is exactly the reason why we acquired Speedy Claxton, to slow down or stop all of that, so it doesn't surprise me that opposing PGs are exploiting that now.

Woody isn't the worst coach in the league, because the players have to take some pride in what they do. But I always said that if Woody has one MAJOR flaw, is that he's stubborn. Stubborn to the point where he seems as if he doesn't think "outside the box" at times, and go with something radical to shake up the team. And his trigger finger to pull the youngsters out of games, is far more itchy, than with the vets who may give the same type of pizz poor effort. It's the same type of ish that did in Larry Brown with the Knicks last year.

I would really like to see this lineup start for the rest of the year.

G - Salim ( and no, that doesn't necessarily mean that Salim strictly plays the point. He can Chill can alternate initiating the offense. But him being in the game, especially without a legit perimeter threat on the team, does help us . . even if he gives up points on the other end. )

G - Chill

F - Williams

F - Smith

F - Jones or Shelden ( doesn't matter to me which one starts. I just want to see one of them play 30 minutes a game. Let them take their lumps against the bigger post players, and see if they can make enough positive plays to help the ballclub. )

At least with that group, the effort and energy level will somewhat be there at all times. Even if they make mistakes, the effort on both ends of the floor should be there. And hopefully, the extended PT will help them in the long run.

Last night's game was living proof that ALL of our kids need to continue to develop. Smoove, Chill, Marvin, Salim, the whole bunch. If you sit anybody for the rest of the year, sit the veterans who you know aren't going to get any better. But the kids are FAR from being developed.

Roll with the kids, and see if they can win games. Play the vets with spot minutes. But I want to see those 5 play 30 - 35 minutes a night minimum. And I want them to play to win with that group.

• Premium Member

Quote:

i think woodie might be sticking with his vets in a desperate attenpt to save his hide with a strong finish.

It would be rather silly for the AS to be impatient with Woodson's team when the leader and All-Star SG is out with an injury, especially considering how patient they've been when JJ was healthy.

Methinks Woodson is just trying to teach the players a lesson in "playing hard, tough-nosed defense." Personally, I wish he would teach that lesson to the young players. The veterans and starters should already know that.

That's the logical explanation. But at some point, you have to give kids like Solomon and Salim extended minutes, and see if they can help you more than they hurt you.

You know that Lo isn't going to give you much, other than occasional position defense . . maybe occasional is a bad word. Sporadic is probably the right word.

You know that Lue isn't 100% healthy, so he isn't going to be the Lue that we saw at the beginning of the year.

AJ is fine, but even he may need to take a backseat these days to Salim, and see if he serves the team better as Salim's backup. AJ should still probably play in crunch time over Salim though, even if Salim is the starter.

To me, he has nothing to lose by playing the kids who can have a big impact on a game, one way or the other.

Solomon not seeing any playing time last night is a complete joke!! How do you not get that guy any minutes? I just do not understand Woody and his logic at all. This team has years to go before we can even think contender unless our moronic GM BK makes some serious moves to help this team. If we make no moves we can expect much of the same next year. Speedy will be hurt, Lue just sucks now, Smoove, Marvin, Zaza and Chill will still improve, we will still have a gaping hole at Center and no REAL legit young PG. It never ends with this team! I'm just fed up with the idiot coach and GM we have running this team. Most of us on this board can do better than BK. And with our luck we will get NO pick in next years draft. What can we realistically expect next year?

I'm going to play those players who WANT to play defense and rebound??? Wanting to and doing it could be two different birds, as we witnessed last night. Maybe they WANTED to, but they didn't "Get 'er done" for the Hawks.

Are we to take it then that the players - DNP, coaches

decision, didn't WANT to play defense and rebound? Sure makes it sound that way, doesn't he.

To have young players and refuse to let them on the floor, especially at the end of the game when all hope was lost, is inexcusable.

What did we gain from using our "old Pro" players in the last game? Experience? Nope. Victory? Nope. Make the coach "Look good" ?? Nope.

What did our young men on the bench who didn't get to set foot on the floor gain from all this? Nothing. Nil. Well, maybe a few corns on their backsides, but that's all.

blush.gif

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

Solomon not seeing any playing time last night is a complete joke!!

Could be they're resting him up for the summer league.

That was funny.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

what about Este??????????????????????

You mean Boris Diaw part deux?

Batista is gonna blow up somewhere, just watch it. Can I kick Woody when it happens?

W