• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Unfortunately Chad Ford's Analysis Was Right

clrumph

Her is Chad Ford's draft analysis of the Hawk's 2006 draft:

Quote:

Round 1: Shelden Williams, PF, Duke (No. 5)

Round 2: Solomon Jones, C, South Florida (No. 33)

Analysis: The good news is that the Hawks ended up with a solid player. Shelden Williams will be a decent NBA rebounder and shot-blocker.

The bad news?
The Hawks drafted fifth and, in my opinion, ended up with a player
who didn't belong in the top 10 or, perhaps, the top 15.

Williams is a poor man's Antonio Davis.
Several players on the board, most notably Brandon Roy and Randy Foye, fit a need for Atlanta and will be better NBA players than Williams.
In deciding on Williams, I think the Hawks jumped to a conclusion too early.

If they don't make major changes in the offseason, they'll be back in the high lottery next year.
And if the pick isn't in the top three, it goes to Phoenix.

Grade: C

Looks like Chad Ford was exactly right about Shelden, Roy and Foye and also our destiny to be picking at the top of this year's draft because of BK's ineptitude. We must get lucky this year and keep our top 3 pick or we might as well starting looking forward to the 2008 draft because we'll be picking high AGAIN!!

The 2008 draft could get us a real player! We will likely be bottom 8 again.

Seriously - if the legal battle goes to Belkin - he's set.

First fire everybody...then trade JJ for a center (and include Speedy in the trade). Get the best PG at the Indy pick (my preference is Augustin).

Draft Brewer at the #3 pick (which we get lucky and get). Piece-O-Cake

banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

Quote:

then trade JJ for a center (and include Speedy in the trade).

I would keep JJ and J-Smoove, but everybody else is trade bait...and I would LOVE to pawn off Craig Claxton to somebody but even Isaiah isn't that stupid (I don't think).

By the way if we get the #3 pick I would trade down slightly and then draft Hibbert while getting another pick or player from our trade partner. I think a Hibbert/Pachulia combo can be our long term answer at center because they should complement each other well.

Quote:

Quote:

then trade JJ for a center (and include Speedy in the trade).

I would keep JJ and J-Smoove, but everybody else is trade bait...and I would LOVE to pawn off Craig Claxton to somebody but even Isaiah isn't that stupid (I don't think).

By the way if we get the #3 pick I would trade down slightly and then draft Hibbert while getting another pick or player from our trade partner. I think a Hibbert/Pachulia combo can be our long term answer at center because they should complement each other well.

I somewat agree...but Brewer would be a nice 2.,,and much more athletic than JJ.

Like the old NFL story does...hell boy, we can lose just as good without you.

I don't think JJ will really get us anywhere. tongue.gif

and when I say a center - with JJ as trade bait - I ain't talkin about trash - more like maybe Garnett or the likes.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Analysis: The good news is that the Hawks ended up with a solid player. Shelden Williams will be a decent NBA rebounder and shot-blocker.

The bad news?

Several players on the board, most notably Brandon Roy and Randy Foye, fit a need for Atlanta and will be better NBA players than Williams.

If they don't make major changes in the offseason, they'll be back in the high lottery next year.

Looks like Chad Ford was exactly right about Shelden, Roy and Foye and also our destiny to be picking at the top of this year's draft because of BK's ineptitude. We must get lucky this year and keep our top 3 pick or we might as well starting looking forward to the 2008 draft because we'll be picking high AGAIN!!

It's really kind of funny how some on this board just ripped Chad Ford apart on this too. I would post those messages but I don't have time. Maybe they should show up and eat crow themselves!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The bad news?

It's really kind of funny how some on this board just ripped Chad Ford apart on this too. I would post those messages but I don't have time. Maybe they should show up and eat crow themselves!

I have repeatedly ripped Ford in the past and will do so in the future. The guy hates BK personally and goes out of his way to trash the Hawks. I don't think he is wrong with everything he says but it really irritates me when he is inconsistent. He frequently will do something like (1) run an article saying no one should pay Eric Dampier 10M/year because the guy isn't worth it; (2) watch Dampier sign with Dallas; and then (3) write an article bashing the Hawks for not paying 60M over 5 seasons for Dampier.

Give me my crow for criticizing the man who still refuses to accept that the guy he said he might take over Lebron (Darko Milicic) is a bust.

Quote:

I have repeatedly ripped Ford in the past and will do so in the future. The guy hates BK personally and goes out of his way to trash the Hawks.

The fact that he "hates BK personally" just adds to his credibility. I was trying to be fair and defend BK a year ago, but now I "hate BK personally" too. The Hawks are a miserable product and BK has responsibility for the organization - he needs to be fired NOW. I don't like Ford much but I think he is on the mark with BK.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I have repeatedly ripped Ford in the past and will do so in the future. The guy hates BK personally and goes out of his way to trash the Hawks.

The fact that he "hates BK personally" just adds to his credibility. I was trying to be fair and defend BK a year ago, but now I "hate BK personally" too. The Hawks are a miserable product and BK has responsibility for the organization - he needs to be fired NOW. I don't like Ford much but I think he is on the mark with BK.

I think BK deserves a lot of criticism and don't begrudge Hawks fans who hate him.

That said, a journalist should not have such an obvious axe to grind and there is plenty to criticize about BK without having to "reach" and get "creative" like Ford does with BK. Criticizing him for taking another SF with the Marvin pick is fine. Pretending like the guy BK picked was not the guy you just spent 3 months pumping as the top talent in the draft is disingenuous and worthy of being ripped.

AHF, your point is fair and reasonable. Unfortunately I am no longer fair and reasonable when it comes to the Hawks management. They need to produce or be replaced.

crazy.gifIf our attendence drops any more, maybe we'll be the first "studio team" that doesn't play in front of a live audience. Just an court surrounded by blue screens so we can make it look like someone still gives a damn by faking an arena and fans. The ASG would love it, they wouldn't need an arena contract anymore. banghead.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

AHF, your point is fair and reasonable. Unfortunately I am no longer fair and reasonable when it comes to the Hawks management. They need to produce or be replaced.

crazy.gif
If our attendence drops any more, maybe we'll be the first "studio team" that doesn't play in front of a live audience. Just an court surrounded by blue screens so we can make it look like someone still gives a damn by faking an arena and fans. The ASG would love it, they wouldn't need an arena contract anymore.
banghead.gif

Yeti, I agree. It is obvious what this franchise has turned into. Started a long time ago when Ted sold the team.

Guest Walter

Might be both but it just goes to show you that a little more BK-hate could go a long way towards more people seeing this team for what it is rather than what they want it to be or should be.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Who the hell evaluates a draft class after one year??????

What? This was after the draft when all of these "so called experts" evaluate what the teams did in the draft and they throw in a couple other comments.

Unfortunately for Hawks fans he was dead-on in his hatred.