• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can you develop franchise cornerstone players?

TroyMcClure

*** Coaching and GM issues for us thrown totally to the side ***

I know there are a few examples. I haven't thought about it before, just off the top of my head. There might not be. With all the talk about Marvin, Childress and Shelden developing into this or that, what examples do we have that it will matter? Your franchise guys are prominent stat stuffers by at leat their 2nd or 3rd year. Often times, the 1st. In addition to playing sound defense.

There's no agenda here. We never really talk about how the timeline of a player's development and importance coincide with the team's development and ultimate goal.

So, in essence, how do we think these guys will develop, and when, and how will it help the team?

Are we saying that Joe and Smoove are the cornerstones and these guys will be role players? Has a team ever won big with a max contract Joe Dumars demeanor type leader and a 17th overall? I don't know. I think it is at least possible with these two guys.

I think Joe and smoove have to be our franchise players and marvin has to show he can be that third or maybe even 2nd guy next year or we should look somewhere else. I hope shelden gets a fair shot at some minutes next year, I think he will surprise a lot of people.

Quote:

I think Joe and smoove have to be our franchise players and marvin has to show he can be that third or maybe even 2nd guy next year or we should look somewhere else. I hope shelden gets a fair shot at some minutes next year, I think he will surprise a lot of people.

I'm talking about examples of a team drafting high like us and then having to "grow" what should already be "grown". How can that work? Has a team ever drafted this high, and then actually won with the drafted talent 4 or 5 years down the road?

Guest Walter

Quote:

yeah, cause JO, JJ, Kobe, and many others all had such GREAT stats by year 2/3

His stats were incredible! 15.5 PPG in 26 MPG. That's impressive for a HS player's 2nd year on a playoff team with 4 other stars.

In an age where HSers didn't play and on a team were there were many stars already, Kobe was obviously a superstar from the get go. He was not "developed" into one.

O'Neal and perhaps JJ were (although I don't see him as a superstar) "developed" into stars. However, these are precisely the types of players TM is refering to. However good they are, neither has won a GD thing. There's your proof.

W

Was Boozer a stat stuffer in his 2nd year in the league?

Was McGrady a stat stuffer by year 2 or 3?

What about KG?

I don't think if you don't have big time numbers by your 2nd or 3rd year it means you can't be a star.

I also don't think we need any more star power out of Shelden and JChill. Shelden develops into a 15-17/8-10 guy and he helps out a ton.

We just need a PG.

That's what really separates us from those top notch teams right now. All those PGs are 10 times better than what we have now.

Quote:

I don't think if you don't have big time numbers by your 2nd or 3rd year it means you can't be a star.

The guys you just mentioned all had immediate impacts. KG certainly was a star in his first year. We could all see it. He's the only one still playing with the team that drafted him. Not Boozer or T-Mac. T-Mac was going to be a star from day 1, too. You kind of got the idea, but try to think of players that "grew" into being a cornerstone.

We need a pg like the desert needs rain!

Quote:

Quote:

The guys you just mentioned all had immediate impacts. KG certainly was a star in his first year. We could all see it. He's the only one still playing with the team that drafted him. Not Boozer or T-Mac. T-Mac was going to be a star from day 1, too. You kind of got the idea, but try to think of players that "grew" into being a cornerstone.

We need a pg like the desert needs rain!

What exactly about McGrady's numbers suggest star in his first few years in the league?

Guest Walter

Quote:

What exactly about McGrady's numbers suggest star in his first few years in the league?

....when hawksquawk was just a twinkle in someone's eye. T-mac's per48 numbers were incredible. It was obvious to most everyone but Diesel who called him "Vince's shadow". Boy another reason he looks silly. Too bad T-mac's back is bad.

W

Quote:

With good coaching, you can develop anything.

With bad coaching, even good players will look bad...

See Bob Weiss for an example.

Well stated.

With Good coaching Salim could be a solid combo guard.

Shelden could be a solid interior player on both sides of the floor.

Josh Smith could be VC on offense, Ben Wallace on D.

Josh Childress could look like less of a mistake and so could Marvin.

But instead, our coaching has been actually holding our players back.