• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Andruw Jones has done himself in

CBAreject

I've been thinking about posting on this for a couple of weeks. Now Jayson Stark has made AJ the "most overrated CF of all time".

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2880979

That's a great article that spells it out. Andruw Jones is not worth his current contract, let alone a BIGGER ONE.

Andruw's defense has slipped considerably as he's approached 30. He's now just an average centerfielder who has the reputation of being the best.

Andruw's offense has always been just average for an outfielder. He hits homeruns, but that's at the expense of batting average and situational hitting. He's had exactly 2 very good (not great) seasons. Even with 51 homers, he didn't put up the type of MVP OPS that a Chipper Jones (or even a Jim Edmonds) does.

Andruw has pouted about being put on waivers last season. He threatened to veto any trade in the offseason, crippling the Braves in any effort to move him. He's put on weight to try to hit more homeruns to get a bigger deal, all to the detriment of his once other-worldly defense. He's refused to listen to Terry Pendleton's teaching, attempting to pull everything in an effort to hit more homeruns.

Andruw is out for a mega-deal. The Braves, I hope (I HOPE), will NOT be rewarding him one. He is no longer an above average player, so he certainly does not deserve to be paid like one of the best.

I wish he would hit a little to make our team better offensively, BUT, after the season is over, I will be glad he flopped in his contract year so that he wouldn't be rewarded. He won't get his 100 million dollar deal, but even at a discount, I would probably let him WALK.

It's painful to watch him right now, when he literally falls down in the batter's box (and a lot of those double plays he grounds into as a result of having to get up before he runs.)

• Premium Member

Andruw is struggling badly at the plate but he is hands down the best defensive outfielder in the history of baseball. I'd like for the Braves to keep him at a reasonable contract but we all know the new owners are too cheap to keep him and that some owner will overpay to get him.

Quote:

he is hands down the best defensive outfielder in the history of baseball.

Change "is" to "was" and "hands down" to "arguably" and I might agree.

We shouldn't pay him because of who he was. If that's the philosophy, we should just sign Willie Mays.

Quote:

Andruw is struggling badly at the plate but he is hands down the best defensive outfielder in the history of baseball. I'd like for the Braves to keep him at a reasonable contract but we all know the new owners are too cheap to keep him and that some owner will overpay to get him.

I think it's time people realize he's not going to get any better as a Brave. Perhaps he doesn't put the work in on the offensive end.... Perhaps the nightlife is just too much of an distraction.

Whatever the case is.... He's not worth the big payday he will be seeing. I've always liked Andruw, but that's how it is.