• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft thoughts from a newbie

AtlHomer

• Premium Member

Hi all. I'm a long time lurker and participated in the days when most of the current posters were on AJC and the previous site.

Like many, I was ecstatic when it became obvious we would have two draft picks this year. That said, this has to be the year that we turn all the 'assets' we've drafted over the past few years into a team capable on making the playoffs, perhaps even go a few rounds. Anything less will be unacceptable. I would love to give the Suns a pick in the late teens or twenties next year.

I'd like to see the Hawks come out of this draft with a current player via trade at a minimum. I like the idea of using the #3 pick and a package that would return either Gasol (Memphis), Jack/Aldridge (Port), or Jefferson (Bos). If Portland insisted on Randolf being in the package, I'd look for a 3 way opportunity with a team like Washington for a package that would include Haywood at a minimum. I think the change of scenery would do him well. Based on what we got back, I'd use the #11 pick on the BPA. If we only got a big man back, I'd probably choose Law over Crittendon with this pick, assuming both are available.

My untouchables now would be JJ, JSmith, and Marvin, in that order. It would have to be a major return package to consider trading one of these players.

Bottom line, drafting two young players won't help the Hawks for next season. We need the right kind of veteran help integrated with the team to help us get to the next level. It will be interesting to hear all the speculation/rumors before actual Draft Day.

With the assets now available, THIS is the time that

will either make something of the Hawks, put them into

a position to go far, or blow it all.

We are well aware of what injuries can do for a season.

That can happen again and blow everything. If it doesn't,

THIS MUST BE THE YEAR THE HAWKS MOVE INTO THE PLAYOFFS!!

Many of the pieces are already in place. Some of our

current roster may be traded. Different posters here

have their own favorite Hawk player they want gone.

They think their favorite whipping boy has little or

no value.

Whoever the Hawks draft or whoever they trade away or

trade for, rest assured it will be the wrong move in

the eyes of some.

But, the facts are, this MUST be our season to move up.

If we fail to do so, heads must roll. Only two things

I can think of would stop this. Draft picks that are

failures - They fall flat on their face in the NBA.

Injuries again rear up and rob us of too many players

for too many games.

stirthepot.gif