• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bruce Lee used steroids...

cyman3

I refuse to get all bent out of shape on the steroids issue. I view them as little more than an advance in medicine. When I was growing up, if a player had knee surgery then he would be gone for the year. Now, with medical advances, the same procedure costs the player 15 - 21 days. Should we now treat the records of those who are playing in the era of modern medicine differently (perhaps with an asterisk) than those who played 30 years ago.

Oh, and I know that they are NOW illegal. They did not used to be. Mark McGwire is getting screwed. He never broke a rule and he never broke a law, and now we are all morally indignant 10 years later when we all enjoyed what he did at the time. Spare me.

• Moderators

Quote:

I refuse to get all bent out of shape on the steroids issue. I view them as little more than an advance in medicine. When I was growing up, if a player had knee surgery then he would be gone for the year. Now, with medical advances, the same procedure costs the player 15 - 21 days. Should we now treat the records of those who are playing in the era of modern medicine differently (perhaps with an asterisk) than those who played 30 years ago.

Oh, and I know that they are NOW illegal. They did not used to be. Mark McGwire is getting screwed. He never broke a rule and he never broke a law, and now we are all morally indignant 10 years later when we all enjoyed what he did at the time. Spare me.

Check the rules again. Steroids were banned by the game when McGwire played - there was just no test for them...much like HGH now.

The andro he took was not banned by the game at the time (although clearly should have been). I guess if you think that is the only thing Big Mac took then you can feel good about cheering for him. Of course, if that was the only thing he took he would have just said so before Congress. If McGwire had admitted what he did it would not have tarnished is legacy as much as his horrible showing on capital hill did, IMO. By coming across as clearly guilty but not being willing to own up to it, it really destroyed his status in the game, IMO.

• Admin

I'm a HUGE Bruce fan, HUGE, but I don't know that I'd be surprised if he did. That was probably the early days of steriods and Bruce was always one to use the latest training methods. He may have simply viewed it as a way to get a better workout. He wasn't competing or cheating so it's not really the same as a pro athlete doing it. His legacy isn't viewed by numbers that can be inflated by cheating. It's a spot on his legacy for sure, but not a big one. Different time and situation compared to today.

• Premium Member

You know I bet Mary Lou Retton used Steroids. She had such huge thighs. Like Horse thighs. Her and FloJo and Gail Devers... I think they all used.

In fact, I think Bela Karolyi was dirty. Either he was giving those children Steroids or he was a molester or something. He just seem dirty. I saw him grip K. Strutt's ass during the olympics and it made me uncomfortable.

• Moderators

I think you are right about Flojo. I work with a guy who was heavily involved in track and field during that time who swears that she was dirty. Her former training partner also fingered her after she went from a marginal 100 sprinter to a superstar who shattered records. A similar path of improvement to that seen in the men's champion - Ben Johnson. Both male and female track stars accused her openly of doping as well (including one who stated he sold her HGH).

Devers was obviously named with Balco but I don't know enough about her to know.

I suspect the Mary Lou reference was in jest but you never know. Even tennis players (like McEnroe) have used so I wouldn't rule it out - especially with the long and dirty history of olympic athletes. That said, without a reason to suspect anything I wouldn't say there is any reason to believe Retton or someone like her US competitor Diane Durham used.

• Premium Member

Nothing was in Jest.

Seriously. I think that they all used. Retton was just really big for her age and her thighs developed much more differently than what you would expect for a girl her age.

My hero-ess in Gymnatsics was Svetlana (or whatever the Russian girl's name was in the last couple Olympics). She was like 5'5" and thin - looked like Kareem next to the other little fire plugs. Awesome on the uneven parrallels and the beam.

I agree that Bella K. is probably a mad scientist...his wife looks pretty scary too.

As an aside, remember the 13 year old Chinese girl diver who was the best in the world? She was definitely a feat of physio-engineering. Eastern-bloc doctors put together some awesome swimmers back in the 70's and 80's too.