• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Blazers Say There Is No Pursuit Of Conley Jr

WraithSentinel

• Premium Member

Quote:

He'd start for at least half of the teams in the league

He would? On what teams would 11/5 and a -4 +/- represent a starting-caliber guard? He's definitely improving, but he's a backup guard on most teams.

• Moderators

Quote:

We should take a gamble on Wright or Yi because we're playing with house money.

That is what I am talking about. There is no house money here.

We either get our pick this year or we get it next year. Since we got it this year, that sure doesn't make it house money in my mind because it means that next year we will be without a first rounder unless we acquire one by trade.

• Premium Member

Quote:

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/462...t_of_conley_jr/

The Oregonian -

The Portland Trail Blazers suspect most of the misinformation flying around about their phantom pursuit of Mike Conley Jr. is coming from Camp Conley, which is run by Mike Conley Sr, The Oregonian is reporting.

There is no pursuit, the Blazers said. They like Conley Jr., but they like their young nucleus even more.

While it's true, a team source said, that the Blazers had a conversation with the Atlanta Hawks about their No. 3 pick, it was a single conversation that went nowhere fast.

The Hawks apparently wanted two young Blazers (LaMarcus Aldridge and Jarrett Jack) along with Portland's first pick in 2008 as part of the trade.

I'm bolding this because I told you guys last week when that conversation took place thanks to my own sources inside the front office and I think it got lost in the clutter of the first day of Portland trade rumors.

I've heard from another source that Knight is asking for a lot for that pick because they believe they can find both a big man and point guard out of a trade and still have the 11th pick for BPA or a project center if Hawes is still there. The basic feeling is that at least one or two of the non-Oden/Durant kids is going to skyrocket before the draft and at least one team will be willing to bite the bullet to make sure they get "that guy".

Another source I heard said that Knight is personally as high on General Yi as he was on Gasol when BK was the Grizz GM and would have ZERO qualms with taking him at #3 and whoever the best point guard left is at #11 if the value is still there to justify the pick.

Quote:

Quote:

He'd start for at least half of the teams in the league

He would? On what teams would 11/5 and a -4 +/- represent a starting-caliber guard? He's definitely improving, but he's a backup guard on most teams.

Well it was over 12 pts per game, and he is a considerably larger stronger and better defender than most PGs in the league. But just for you let me give you a sampler.

So here is a list where I would see him starting:

LA Lakers--smush parker

LA Clippers (hey livingston and cassell cannot stay healthy at all, and cassell is pushing 40)

MINN---goes without saying

DEN (blake started a lot of games for them last year and he would start over blake)

SEA Ridnour is a bad defender and jacks numbers were as good as his last year anyway..earl watson played better but is much smaller and cannot guard bigger PGs.

Memphis--goes without saying

ATL---goes without saying

ORL---he backslid last year and had one more point per game and one less assist. Again Jack is bigger and stronger and a better defender

WASH--blazers already shipped antonio daniels out and jack would start with arenas

MIA---hey even with his assists wade plays SG and jack is a hell of a lot healthier and a hell of a lot better defender and shooter than williams

Knicks---well marbury is essentially a SG and close to done so he wouuld start over nate robinson at 5-10.

HOU--Rafer alston is a terrible shooter and jack again is better defender.

Boston---Delonte West(the only guy as good of a defender), close but jack is a better distributor, healthier and a better shooter

Cleveland--daniel gibson/eric snow...gibson is a nice young player, but no.

PTL

Quote:

The Hawks apparently wanted two young Blazers (LaMarcus Aldridge and Jarrett Jack) along with Portland's first pick in 2008 as part of the trade.

LOL, holy crap! I'm surprised BK isn't asking for the moon and stars above along with all of that. tongue.gif

I say good for him. Aim high, because that #3 pick has value- and if the Blazers want it, then they're gonna have to give. Obviously not that much, as IMO Jack, Aldridge AND a #1 would be insanity for Portland to give up. But nuttin wrong with setting the bar high, and then negotiating downward.

Quote:

I got this off a Portland board. Not sure what to think.

I would think- HOLY GUACAMOLE, THAT'S A BIG-A** TRADE!

Then I would think it's probably too much, and I wouldn't want to do it. It does kind of dovetail with the rumor that Smoove might be on the block, so maybe there really is something to it. But I'd just as soon not make Smoove a part of that trade.

Quote:

I am somewhat surprised to see that Portland fans see Josh as a bad character guy. I wonder if other team's GMs have that perception also.

yeah i've been seeing that a bit more this offseason from some other sportswriters also...i really think they have it all wrong...sure josh has had an argument with woody and also yells out on the court but when you talk to him later or see his interviews later, he is always courteous and says he blames himself and that he's still learning..if it was a bad character he wouldnt blame himself and apologize like that....i think he's just emotional and plays to win and it can get frustrating for him i think...

i sure as hell hope that BK isnt falling for any of that bad character business and i sure as hell don't want to trade him...with the development he showed last year, he's going to be a force in this league.

Quote:

I am somewhat surprised to see that Portland fans see Josh as a bad character guy.

Well given their history, it's not shocking they'd be a little bit leery about possible character issues.

But I also think they're wrong. I think Smoove is very hot-tempered and can act with great immaturity at times- but that doesn't necessarily signify a lack of character. He's still young and is obviously not fully emotionally mature yet, and he also seems not too happy with his situation and very unhappy with his coach. But immaturity is something which is possible to outgrow- whereas a bad guy is just a bad guy. Smoove is not a bad guy IMO, unless there is something I don't know about him.

Quote:

I am somewhat surprised to see that Portland fans see Josh as a bad character guy. I wonder if other team's GMs have that perception also.

Smoove is an attitude adjustment away from being a Tim Duncan quality player.

I think it is reasonable to say Josh Smith has more talent than Tim Duncan, just a couple of inches shorter.

What he lacks is in the "upstairs" department. That's what puts Tim head and shoulders above everyone else. He gets "it."