• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

RealGM fan mock draft shows why MCJ at3 isnt ideal

johnnyde

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=667273

The creator of the thread says it himself:

"I'm going to give it till midnight tonight, but this is the most disarray selection I've seen in the past 2 years of me doing this."

All because of picking Conley at 3. If this is representative of how teams will pick, as fan bases tend to have a better idea of who their team may pick, do you see how the Hawks posters themselves are confused as to what to do when the #11 selection comes around?

Guest Walter

Quote:

do you see how the Hawks posters themselves are confused as to what to do when the #11 selection comes around?

Listen to the pro-Conley at 3 posters. NOT ONE OF THEM HAS SUGGESTED WHAT WE THEN DO AT 11!

No need to wonder why. We shot our (talent or center gathering) wad on a reach Pg at #3 when 2 equal Pgs would be available at 11.

Is there a pro-Conley poster here who is willing to suggest Al Thorton/Conley is better than Yi/Crittenton or Law? Seriously. Anyone. Remember we had the 4th worst record in the NBA and our top 2 players DO NOT MEASURE UP. We can't come away without TALENT. ANYBODY?

(crickets)

W

Quote:

Listen to the pro-Conley at 3 posters. NOT ONE OF THEM HAS SUGGESTED WHAT WE THEN DO AT 11!

Because we think that there IS a significant talent difference between Conley and Law/Crittenton. Is that so hard to understand? Don't whine and moan when Conley is blowing up, and Law/Crit are just playing adequate. At least we'll have our "project" forward.

I actually think we could package the #11 and one of our swingmen and get a decent bigman. I'd like to get Camby, personally. Denver is definitely looking to deal him in order to avoid luxury tax.

Don't under estimate Thornton he could make all rookie just doesn't get much pub. Walter I want to see more reports on Yi etc etc on other players before I I crown Yi has the Golden Child. You can only tell so much on tape so I am going to let it play out and hopefully one player breaks out among the pack which does 2 things gives us a clear cut fav at no3 or lets us trade the pick for something good.

If Conoly went 3 I would probably take Hawes.Its bad enough not finding a defensive center so if no defensive center is there I'll take an offensive center and hope he develops his defense. I know we have ZaZa but Hawes has a better build than ZaZa and is worth the risk.

Here you go Walter. Wow, what to do with 11 is so hard.

11 BPA...Whoever falls and there will be somebody. It could be Brewer or Noah. It could be Hawes. It could even be Brandon Wright.

Or, trade 11 for Brendan Haywood, an OK defensive center.

I could go on. But, a very surprising player will fall to 11. Because somebody does something CRAZY every year and reaches. This year look for a Thornton. I think either Brewer or Noah fall to 11. There will be a very pleasant surprise at 11.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

Because we think that there IS a significant talent difference between Conley and Law/Crittenton. Is that so hard to understand?

Yes. There isn't evidence to support Conley being significantly more talented than either Law or Crittenton. In fact, there is evidence to support Crittenton is the most talented of all.

Anyhow the point isn't "is there a difference", the point is is there a difference that makes Al Thorton?/Conley > Yi/Crit or Law. A clear no.

Quote:

Don't whine and moan when Conley is blowing up, and Law/Crit are just playing adequate.

Are you serious? Conley "blowing it up" and Law/Crit "adequate". On what basis is Conley significantly more talented than Law or Crittenton? This is absolute hogwash.

Quote:

At least we'll have our "project" forward.

Yi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Al Thorton

Quote:

I actually think we could package the #11 and one of our swingmen and get a decent bigman.

Man, oh man does the 4th losingest team with 2 stars that simply don't measure up need more DECENT.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

If Conoly went 3 I would probably take Hawes.Its bad enough not finding a defensive center so if no defensive center is there I'll take an offensive center and hope he develops his defense. I know we have ZaZa but Hawes has a better build than ZaZa and is worth the risk.

...and I'm not sure he's better than even ZaZa. He certainly fills none of our needs at the center position while filling the center position. He doesn't rebound or defend well. Next to JS we need that.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

I could go on. But, a very surprising player will fall to 11. Because somebody does something CRAZY every year and reaches.

You mean like Conley at 3?

I KNOW that one of the top 3 Pg will be available at 11. You can't even hope with a straight face that Brandan Wright will be there. Please.

W

Quote:

Yes. There isn't evidence to support Conley being significantly more talented than either Law or Crittenton.

I guess having a 2x better assist to turnover ratio (the most IMPORTANT asset for a PG) doesn't qualify.

Quote:

Are you serious? Conley "blowing it up" and Law/Crit "adequate". On what basis is Conley significantly more talented than Law or Crittenton? This is absolute hogwash.

I've already shown STATS to prove that Conley's FRESHMAN year is comparable to Deron's JUNIOR year. Guess you missed that one.

Quote:

Man, oh man does the 4th losingest team with 2 stars that simply don't measure up need more DECENT.

You're right, Smith isn't going to get better, considering he's already 21 years old. I guess a good PG won't MAKE our best players more efficient either. You're making a complete strawman argument.

I don't think Hawes and ZaZa are good comparisons they do have 2 similarites there forte isn't rebounding or shotblocking. I still would take Hawes over ZaZa.Hawes has an outside shot and will be a very good passer.When was the last time we had a Hawk team that could pass the ball? If you add a point and Hawes its at least a start. Now also consider as mentioned by another member there probably will be someone that slides.Would you draft Corey Green or Thornton? I don't want another forward but Green could be our Tayshawn Prince and Thornton could be the power forward SW should be?

It still all comes back to how these players play in the tryouts we have to hope someone breaks out right now many are grouped similarly.

NBA Comparison: Brad Miller

Strengths: Hawes is very long and has very good hands. He runs the floor very well for his size. His ball-handling, is fantastic, especially in the open court, as he played a lot of guard before his reaching his full height. Hawes is very smooth on the court, and has a great, soft touch around the basket. He possesses good shooting form, and has range out to three point distance, but is only consistent to about 18 feet. He is very fundamentally sound, with excellent footwork in the post. He will immediately be one of the best passing big men in the country, whether it’s out of the post, double team, in the open court, or on the perimeter. He is a decent shot-blocker, but does position himself well on defense.

Weaknesses: Definitely needs to bulk up more for life in the paint in college. He needs to develop alternate post moves. He lacks great quickness. He will occasionally settle for taking outside shots instead of attacking from the post. His rebounding skills could be improved. Spencer is not an amazing athlete and has trouble with smaller quicker opponents. He could improve his overall defense.

Notes: Hawes chose Washington over North Carolina, Connecticut, and Stanford, among others. He participated in the 2006 McDonalds All-American game. Won a state title as a senior, after somehow not qualifying for the state tournament as a junior with 2005 lottery pick Martell Webster in the lineup with him.

Logan Lemberger - 4/8/2006

Strengths: A center with very good offensive understanding with developed moves ... Has a sweet offensive repertoire with hooks and drop steps ...A tough nosed player with great attitude ... Has the ability to use either hand inside with very good touch ... Has a good frame with long arms and excellent hands ... Competitive and very coachable ... Good passer ... Hard worker whose game has improved leaps and bounds in a short time ... Good athlete, gets up and down the floor well ...

Weaknesses: His legs are still weak, must add strength to his lower body ... Has good toughness, but must get stronger and more consistent ... Not an imposing force defensively or a great shot blocker, but improving defensively ...

Notes: Would be the top rated center in most classes (Oden) ... Comes from a very tall family, both parents are very tall (his Uncle Steve played in the NBA) ... Committed to Washington ...

Conley is much more of a sure thing then Yi is. I dont care but we do not need any more projects. One guy by the name of Marvin Williams is enuff. We have to come out of this draft with the best point guard period. I do not think Acie Law Or Critteon are on the same level of a guy like conley. Those guys are more shooters and scorers then assits court general types like conley is. Conley is a really good defender who puts pressure on the ball and goes for steals. They dont have the speed or court vision that Conley does. We already a made a devasting mistake passing on Deron Williams and CHris Paul over a project in Marvin Williams. My Vote is too take Conley at 3 or trade to 5 with the Celtics but he wont get past 5. Then with the 11th pick package it with either Childress or Shelden to land a good center like Gasol, Jermaine Oneal. If we can come out of this draft with a staring PG of the future and an allstar type Center PF its a good offseason. Gasol in the east would be dominate and Jermaine Oneal has been playing center for years. Even though he is injury prone the fact that he can score in the post and block shot is huge.

Conley

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Jermaine Oneal/Pau Gasol

Bench

Zaza (Where he should be he is not a starter in the NBA)

Childress/Shelden

Salim

Lue

Claxton

Solomon Jones

not a great bench but its better then last year by moving wannabe starters in Zaza and CLaxton/Lue to the bench.

Thats a playoff team. NO MORE PROJECTS PLEASE WE NEED TO WIN NOW!!!

Wright is a project and Ive seen him at 10 twice. SOMEBODY will fall. The Blazers certainly want Conley at 3 and Pritchard is proving to be a nice GM.

So, if we take him its bad but I'm sure the savvy fans in PTL would be thrilled. On this board we got guys like you singing the praises of a player they have never seen before.

I've seen Conley plenty and we need a great young PG. You keep pushing a player you don't know.

Quote:

Quote:

do you see how the Hawks posters themselves are confused as to what to do when the #11 selection comes around?

No need to wonder why. We shot our (talent or center gathering) wad on a reach Pg at #3 when 2 equal Pgs would be available at 11.

Is there a pro-Conley poster here who is willing to suggest Al Thorton/Conley is better than Yi/Crittenton or Law? Seriously. Anyone. Remember we had the 4th worst record in the NBA and our top 2 players DO NOT MEASURE UP. We can't come away without TALENT. ANYBODY?

(crickets)

W

LOL I notice the exact same thing, thats what us anti-conley people have been trying to say, this just proves it.

Quote:

Quote:

I actually think we could package the #11 and one of our swingmen and get a decent bigman. I'd like to get Camby, personally. Denver is definitely looking to deal him in order to avoid luxury tax.

[/indent]

so we're gonna trade one of our talented foward and our 11th pick, just to reach for Conley at 3, that's not maximizing our picks.

• Moderators

Draft Conley and Law (if no good bigs are left at 11). Trade Lue, AJ, Wright for whatever PF/C we can grab and see what happens. These guys have some value both as players and ending contracts. If both young points pan out then we can trade one of them. We still would have Speedy as a good backup at some point.

This is where we pull the trigger with Portland and get Aldridge and Jack for #3, then draft Law at #11.

If Law moves into the top #10: Hawes or Noah will fall to #11.

One thing with having 2 draft picks. You need a plan A,B & C, b/c you never know how its going to shake down.

The Portland trade gives us a young big man and two young 6'3'' PGs who are better then any PG we have had since Mookie.

Would you rather have Aldridge /Jack or Yi out of the #3 pick ?

We know Aldridge is a post player. We know Jack is at the minium a good starting PG. Law at PG too !!!!!

Now if Yi is impressive in workouts I am all for him at #3 but I can't jump on his badwagon until theor is more proof in the pudding.

Quote:

LOL IT WAS YOU! You're the one who was saying Conley was better as a freshman, than Deron as a junior.

Looks like we're now having trouble with reading comprehension. I said his freshman season was ARGUABLY better than Deron's junior season, which is true. All I can do is show you the stats, I can't read them for you as well.