• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Alternative to drafting a PG

Bulldog

If Conley is a risk then here are 2 alternatives. I am sure a lot of you will scream and shoot them down, but Conley could easily bust. If this was a better year for PGs I dont think he would be even considered a #3 pick. Given the need for a PG however I understand people saying forget the "take the best guy" we need a PG...

2 other options.

#1 trade for Andre Miller. He is a severely under-rated player and is the calm distributor type PG the team needs. Philly needs something back to do this - so the Hawks give up Speedy and Smith for Andre Miller and the #21. Philly then has Iggy, Smith and their #12 to build around. The Hawks get the PG they need and can pick anyone they think will fit at the 3 and maybe package the #11 and #12 for another vet or to climb up the draft board.

#2 Steve Blake. Ok he is not the marquee name people want to bring in. But he is the distributor type PG the team needs and can be got as a free agent fairly cheaply. Trade Speedy for anything the team can get, and then they have a PG who can shoot the 3 and distribute. This guy is getting better and better and Iverson and Melo were loving playing with him in Denver after he was given meaningful playing time. The Hawks wing guys could say the same.

I don't like the first trade at all. talktothehand.gif

We can get a pg with out trading our 2nd best player.

Also i disagree that Blake can be gotten Cheaply.

Someone is going to over pay for him,Hopefully not the Hawks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The Hawks would have to do a S&T with Denver, but what do they have that Denver wants?

Quote:

Quote:

The Hawks would have to do a S&T with Denver, but what do they have that Denver wants?

#11 plus an expiring contract. Denver wants Billups home.

• Premium Member

Quote:

#11 plus an expiring contract. Denver wants Billups home.

I have no doubts that both Conley and Law could put up 8/6 playing alongside Anthony, Iverson, Nene, and Camby.

He's not worth the 11th AND MLE+ $.

Quote:

Steve Blake, would be better on this team, than Conley would.

Oh no, here comes the Conleyheads, to defend their king.

Steve Blakes last deal was only 2 years at $1 million/yr. BK easily could have signed him as a free agent if he wanted to but he chose not to. I think it is a pretty safe bet he isn't interested in Blake.

You may be right, but I think most people are agreed that one of J Smith, Marvin and Childress could be traded and give the team a better balance by addressing a need such as a PG. Miller hasnt seemed to fit in Philly so something could be done there. Maybe trading Speedy and Marvin (rather than Smith) might be better for the Hawks, but if the team wants to move forward it will have to shake things up and make a decision or 2 that might sting in the short term. Miller brings veteran leadership which is needed and talent in a position that is badly needed. I think he is a better bet than the risk on Conley. An example - Marcus Williams was far higher rated out of college and he has taken time to make an impact let alone lead a team. He looks like he could get there, but coming into the league at PG is the hardest position. Conley would take time and may never get there. Miller is a proven all-star PG. Those are my reasons for going down that road. Then there is still the #3 pick to add to the mix...

Quote:

Quote:

Steve Blakes last deal was only 2 years at $1 million/yr. BK easily could have signed him as a free agent if he wanted to but he chose not to. I think it is a pretty safe bet he isn't interested in Blake.

Nobody thought Blake was this good. I am sure every GM in the NBA repents not signing him for that money, and all of them will pay him much more than that now.

Don't touch Smoove unless its for a superstar.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nobody thought Blake was this good. I am sure every GM in the NBA repents not signing him for that money, and all of them will pay him much more than that now.

Don't touch Smoove unless its for a superstar.

Blake is a free agent now and he won't command big bucks. The Hawks can sign him in July if they want they don't have to trade for him.

They can't make a move on Blake until after the draft anyway.

Yeah Smoove is going nowhere and we would be getting SCREWED in that trade with Philly. Speedy/Smoove for aging Andre Miller/#21 pick? Your nuts man!!! Smoove alone is worth more than Miller and some late 1st rounder.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Blake is a free agent now and he won't command big bucks. The Hawks can sign him in July if they want they don't have to trade for him.

There are teams reportedly interested in offering the MLE to Blake. The Hawks can best that kind of offer only through a S&T.

Quote:

Quote:

There are teams reportedly interested in offering the MLE to Blake. The Hawks can best that kind of offer only through a S&T.

There is no way they offer Blake that kind of deal considering they are on the hook for 13 million for their pgs next season.

Plus i can't imagine that even BK would be dumb enough not to draft a pg with one of his picks.

would you keep all the wing players and risk the pick on Conley then? I just dont think that is going to improve the team next year. The Team needs to find the winning culture in a bad way. That means at least a PG and some veteran leadership - plus a better balanced team. I dont think Speedy and Childress would be enough to land Miller.

I concede that maybe Speedy and Marvin may be better for the team however than Speedy and Smoove.

Quote:

Wow, you just don't want anybody but Conley do you? Did you make a bet or something?

Man you are a retard. Blake can go anywhere he wants after the draft. So you think the Hawks shouldn't draft a pg and then take a chance on getting Blake as a free agent?

• Moderators

Quote:

When you throw money at him, and have talented player on every posistion except for PG (the one he plays), then yes he would and many other would consider it.

We aren't going to offer him more than the MLE that other teams are said to the offering.

Risking the future of the PG position in Atlanta by passing on a PG in the draft and hoping that he takes similar money to what others are offering to play in Atlanta because he believes in the team so much is a big risk.