• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Speedy

sturt

• Premium Member

Please forego the urge to dump on Speedy, as I ask this question:

What was the last anyone knew about Speedy's off-season health, and any therapy or strengthening program he might be doing that could give Hawk fans some kernal of optimism that he could return to the form that originally caused the gushes of optimism flowing here and elsewhere upon his signing?

confused.gif

(Again, unless you have actually have some valid answer or partial answer to contribute, just pass this thread by, okay?)

I doubt you can really find useful news. With that kind of injuries, the more you rest it, the better it feels, period. I'm sure Speedy feels fine right now. The question is if he tries going at true NBA game speed again day after day right now, how will the knees hold up?

So in other words, due to the nature of the injury, unless there is surgery, I don't think you can really know much until the real stress test of training camp comes around.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I doubt you can really find useful news. With that kind of injuries, the more you rest it, the better it feels, period. I'm sure Speedy feels fine right now. The question is if he tries going at true NBA game speed again day after day right now, how will the knees hold up?

So in other words, due to the nature of the injury, unless there is surgery, I don't think you can really know much until the real stress test of training camp comes around.

Possibly. I'd just like to hear that from a medical professional via some reporter's inquiry rather than just more of our speculation... I was hoping maybe something had been reported, and I just didn't catch it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

we don't need to depend on speedy. we have anthony johnson. the guy can play some good minutes. in fact i like him more than speedy and lue.

I concur, insomuch as we're talking about dependability. But I think Speedy brings slightly more energy to the floor when he's healthy.

My "thing" is... would ATL medical staff tend to believe that Speedy's condition is chronic?

I've stated before, I'm among those who truly don't like the PG value in this class; not Conley @ 3, not Law @ 11 and not Critt @ 11... and yes, I'd even wince at Conley @ 11, though it would be understandably hard to pass up.

Other major consideration is that Lue and AJ are FAs after the season, so it does make some sense to address PG in some fashion regardless...

But does it make more sense to address that, or to address another position where you could lose Childress and almost certainly will lose Stoudamire--and that being a position where the draft class stacks up much more reasonably and with more depth?

Which is where I come back to Speedy: the answer is self-evident if Speedy's condition is diagnosed as chronic and more likely to hound him through the balance of his career... and of course, that almost to be the default conclusion.

Otoh, if two or more medical opinions would come back saying otherwise, and thus, if BK could have some reason to be more certain of his future health than 06-07 demonstrated, then the need to address PG with a selection from this group is reduced.

slash.gif