• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you really need a great point guard?

ncthompson11

Would it really be neccesarry for us to draft conley at 3 or trade for a great point guard? I feel like with the players we would have if we drafted yi they wouldnt need someone to set them up all the time. Marvin, Joe, Smoove, and Yi can all create there own shots and dont need an all star point guard in my opinion. I feel Anthony Johnson or a pg at 11 can do well enough to get us to make the playoffs next year.

Josh Smith was the only one who would push the ball up the court. The Hawks offense last year was just down right offensive. It was either stand around and watch Joe like he's Jordan or Kobe, or throw up your worst ill advised shot. Then there's the worst the Lue (you know dribble the logo off the ball then throw up a shot as the shot clock expires). The offense needs structure, someone to run the offense, a true point guard, someone who improves the play of his teammates, someone who can stop the opposing point guard from driving to the hole at will. That's why Conley is the right choice at 3 because he can and will do those things and more. With Yi the defense is no better.

Trade the #11 pick, Speedy, and Sheldon to Philli for Dalembert and the 21st pick.

We need offense before defense. We were last in the league in scoring at 93 ppg. We were 15th in defense while giving up 98. The defense wasnt great but it wasnt as bad as everyone says it was around here. The offense lost us more games especially late when no one would step up besides joe.

We were also 2nd to last in field goal percentage and last in 3 pt percentage.

Quote:

We need offense before defense. We were last in the league in scoring at 93 ppg. We were 15th in defense while giving up 98. The defense wasnt great but it wasnt as bad as everyone says it was around here. The offense lost us more games especially late when no one would step up besides joe.

That's why you take the best point guard! The team needs someone to run the offense. Not only will Conley run the offense but he will set up easy opportunities for fast break points. With his wingspan he deflects a lot of passes and gets plenty of steals. Also with that wingspan and his feisty defense he patronizes the opposing point guard.

Quote:

that's why i'd like to find a way to trade the #11 for ridnour...defense isnt great (but neither is Lue's or AJ's) but he would provide an instant spark, almost all we actually need at this stage. but you get Horford or Yi and then Ridnour, and you're good...

Have you watched the post season? Even Deron Williams couldn't slow down Tony Parker from driving to the hoop. Conley is the best point guard in the draft. Law or Crittenton would just continue the Hawks trend of allowing the opposing point to go to the hole at will. Yi is a prospect forward at 22 years old!

Parker has made my point for me if you were watching tonight you would see that. Even Billups had trouble slowing down Gibson in the last series.

Quote:

"Law or Crittenton would just continue the Hawks trend of allowing the opposing point to go to the hole at will."

I think crittentons upper body strength and height will help him body up smaller guards. Law may be a defensive liability but is quick.

It not about upper body strength to defend quick guards it more about being able to move your feet. Conley's wingspan is just as long as Crittenton if not longer. Mike's also stronger than Javaris. I like Crittenton more than Law but he's going to have come off the bench for a while behind a veteran, he just not ready to come in and run an offense right now even if it is Woody's.

As for Yi he could become a good player in the league, I just don't see it happening with the Hawks. We all know what happened with Diaw, and then Batista couldn't even get off the bench yet he's better than Bi Lo.

Quote:

"Law or Crittenton would just continue the Hawks trend of allowing the opposing point to go to the hole at will."

I think crittentons upper body strength and height will help him body up smaller guards. Law may be a defensive liability but is quick.

You dont want any PG in the draft. You dissed all of them yet tou say we need more offense in one post and and Law & Critt sich defensivle in another. Conley is very good defensive PG.

A PG like Conley is what creats offense. Conley is excellent at being a creative dribble drive distrributor breaking the defense down when nothing else is there. He would create easier shots for our offense. Right now we are one of the most turn over prone teams in the leagew b/c our scorers are repeatedly forced to create offense causing them too force too. Of course this results in increase # of turn overs. Conley would make us a better team in the 1/2 court and with his speed & vision a better team on the break.

Quote:

Have you watched the post season? Even Deron Williams couldn't slow down Tony Parker from driving to the hoop. Conley is the best point guard in the draft. Law or Crittenton would just continue the Hawks trend of allowing the opposing point to go to the hole at will. Yi is a prospect forward at 22 years old!

Parker has made my point for me if you were watching tonight you would see that. Even Billups had trouble slowing down Gibson in the last series.

I've watched Parker for several years and I've said all along comparing Conley to him is a joke because Parker is the fastest PG in the league and possibly the best finisher.

That's a ridiculous bar to set for Conley.

And Parker also has the best player in the league since Jordan retired on his team in Tim Duncan, we don't.

We need more talent period. Spurs win games because they have loads of talent at several positions.

We need to hold off on PG so we can get two top notch players instead of one.

I wouldn't say Bruce Bowen, Oberto, and Finley are LOADS of talent would you? Bowen can't do anything on offense but hit the occasional 3 and play defense. Oberto is just terrible in my opinion but starts at center. Finley is still a good shooter but that is about it and is aging quickly. So really the only 2 real players that start that have immense talent are Duncan and Parker. Brent Barry, Robert Horry and Elson are all role players and have been their ENTIRE careers. I guess you think Jacque Vaughn has a lot of talent. Dude is a bum man. Of any team in the playoffs I would say the Spurs have the LEAST amount of talent at key positions but they still find a way to get it done.

Quote:

Quote:

That's why you take the best point guard! The team needs someone to run the offense. Not only will Conley run the offense but he will set up easy opportunities for fast break points. With his wingspan he deflects a lot of passes and gets plenty of steals. Also with that wingspan and his feisty defense he patronizes the opposing point guard.

Agreed.

And the only reason the team gave up a mere 98 points per game is because they wasted so much time with pointless dribbling and an ineffective offensive system that slowed the pace of the game down.

Quote:

Quote:

I've watched Parker for several years and I've said all along comparing Conley to him is a joke because Parker is the fastest PG in the league and possibly the best finisher.

That's a ridiculous bar to set for Conley.

I disagree.

Why do you think Parker is quicker then Conley ?

They are both a blurr. There is no way to tell who is fastest until they match up. I'd say they will be #1, #2 in the league in terms of speed with the basketball.

Conley has the genes of a world class Olympic track & field and it shows in on the floor. He was the fastest player at the combine and a blur with the basketball, 40" vertical, and unreal wing span, and uncanny strength for a man his side. He is a world class athelete with great basket ball IQ and floor vision. That is a one of kind PG right there. His upside is tremendous !

His floor vision is ahead of what Parker had at 19. He is stronger & jumps higher then Conley whilehave a great feel forthe game. No reason to think Cojley can't be as good or better of a finisher than Parker.

Conley will be better than Parker. Mark it down !

He is simply a world class athelte with great genes and uncanny basketball IQ. Once he gets his shot down he could be the #1 PG in the NBA by the time he is 22.

Quote:

Why do you think Parker is quicker then Conley ?

They are both a blurr. There is no way to tell who is fastest until they match up. I'd say they will be #1, #2 in the league in terms of speed with the basketball.

Conley has the genes of a world class Olympic track & field and it shows in on the floor. He was the fastest player at the combine and a blur with the basketball, 40" vertical, and unreal wing span, and uncanny strength for a man his side. He is a world class athelete with great basket ball IQ and floor vision. That is a one of kind PG right there. His upside is tremendous !

His floor vision is ahead of what Parker had at 19. He is stronger & jumps higher then Conley whilehave a great feel forthe game. No reason to think Cojley can't be as good or better of a finisher than Parker.

Conley will be better than Parker. Mark it down !

He is simply a world class athelte with great genes and uncanny basketball IQ. Once he gets his shot down he could be the #1 PG in the NBA by the time he is 22.

Well when Tony Parker was 20 he averaged 15.5 PPG and 4 APG.

Good luck beating that next year Conley.

Why do I think Parker is faster, because it's OBVIOUS.

Conley wasn't even the fastest PG in college basketball last year and you think he's just as fast as Parker?

Please. Tywon Lawson was noticeably faster than Conley.

I don't care if Conley JR. can beat him n a track meet. That has nothing to do with speed with a basketball and ability to finish.