• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This may be the hardest decision I've ever had to

Guest Walter

I think they want to get rid of him because with Gasol as the Grizzlies center piece, they couldn't win one game in the playoffs for 3 straight years. Gasol's huge contract and poor defense will place a ceiling on any team trying to build around him. If we trade for him, we will hit the ceiling, fans will grow tired of the Hawks, and it be time for a rebuild yet again.

There really is no center out there for what is the answer. The Point Guard issue is attainable and will happen. I believe the answer for the Hawks are in the weight room (Solomon, Shelden and Zaza) with personal trainers. Our coaches have to continue to emphesize defense upfront with what we got. singer.gif

My sig is more about my frustration with our GM's selections than ready to play talent.

I would've gladly taken Deron or Paul back in '05 and I really wanted Foye or Roy last year. Instead we got Marvin & Shellhead.

My position on the Gasol scenario is more about the Atlanta Hawks situation as a whole. I think he's a good player. My problem is not with him or his talent. It's the cap situation that he will put us in. Our owners will not likely spend money on any other players if we cap ourselves out. I'm not even sure they would even re-up with our own draftees given the financial situation they'd be in. Not to mention if Gasol gets injured again, we are completely screwed. We would have no money or flexibility to make a move. I mean, Joe Johnson is a good player, but he's not Kobe. We would mortgage away most of our talent and future on a guy that has an injury history and will eat up ALL of our cap room. In my eyes, it's not worth it. But hey, I'm not our GM, he's proven to do the exact opposite of what I think is best so I think your in good shape if your looking for us to make a deal for Gasol.

Quote:

Reasons I want Yi...

More global exposure.
cool.gif

More national exposure.
thumb3d.gif

More Hawks merchandise is sold.
munching_out.gif

More Atlanta all-star votes.
cookiemonster.gif

...those are just the financial reasons, I haven't even got to his skillset.

It works

None of that matters if we don't win and YI is not a star. Yi can't just be good he must be great if we draft him. We already got a soon to be great at PF in Smith and a rugged rebounder bruiser in Sheldon.

Gasol is 7', 260 lbs. His salary is the fair market value for a proven 7 footer. While earlier in his career Gasol was strictly a PF. Now at 260 lbs Gasol can be a great center in the East. Gasol shoots 55% from the field. The Hawks need that offensive efficiency in the post. His size makes him a better defender then ZaZa and Gasol's 2 bocks a game is pretty good. Gasol's length coupled with Smooves atheleticm and great help defense (4 blocks), thrown with the rugged Sheldon, make for a good defensive & rebounding front line if you ask me. Lo as the 4th post option is not bad either. (Guessing Memphis wants ZAZA for depth in Gasol trade)

Quote:

make as a fan & Jr. GM. The decision to take the immediate 20/10/2 of Gasol and pair it with JJ at the cost of #3/Childress/...and a very large salary OR keep the pick, draft Yi, and trade from our other, lesser forward prospects for a center (prospect).

I'm serious, I haven't faced a harder decision as a fan as to which would be more beneficial to the Hawks both now and at least the intermediate term. I can't say for sure whether Gasol/JJ/JS can contend even if our Pg pans out somewhat. I can't say that Yi won't be absolutely incredible in this league and carry a team almost all by himself.

I know Gasol isn't a defensive stallwort, but he blocks shots at a large clip. I know Yi isn't as good as Gasol right now but he has the potential to be better IMO. Right now I'm stuck on two things:

1) Cost...Yi is cheap, Gasol is not. If we could include Speedy in the deal that sways me towards Gasol some.

2) What deals for a center are available? If there is a deal for a center using our existing JC, MW, and/or SW capitol I'd be swayed towards Yi.

Anybody have any ideas that can help a troubled fan Jr. GM like me?

W

It is tough decion. Especially with salary of Gasol. However, Gasol is no Reef. Gasol probably has a 4'' to 5'' reach advantage Reef and has was the best player on some 50 win ball clubs when the Western Conference was really tough.

I can't make up my mind on Yi and Hoford at #3 or trading for Gasol. There are 2 scenerios I like in order.

1. I like trading #11 for Jack if we trade #3 for Gasol. Those 2 vets lets us compete right now !

2. If we draft Yi or Hoford at #3 I like trading:

#11 / Chills for Ridnour / Wilcox/ 2nd.

Ridnour and Wilcox would plug two needs and give Yi time to devlope and not reallly be expected to improve the teams post defense immediatly since we got Wilcox. I love Chills but he can't fill our needs at PG or C.

I have come to the conclusion that I would DEFINATLY trade one of the 2 picks for immediate veteran Help and keep Josh Smith. This makes sense for a team as young as the Hawks.

I have also come to the conclusion that I like the

Gasol / Smith combo more then Stoudamire alone. There are only 2 years age differece in Gasol and Stoudamire and Smith has not come close to reaching his potential. With Stoudamire's (25)game being based soly on above the rim atheleticm it is my prediction he will not age as well as a guy like Gasol (27 soon). I am also not sure if Stoudamire would be he same offensivly if he were without Nash and Suns system. Amare's 1/2 court offensive post game is not polished like Gasols and we already got a big who runs the break in Smoove. No doubt Stoudamire is better then Gasol but not when Gasol is paired with Smoove.

Stoudamire also angered the, player friendly, Coach D'Antoni by not showing up to the team meeting following their play-off exit. JJ would be anle to give good insite to what Stoudamire islike behind closed doors like BK has that same insight on Gasol.

Quote:

I think they want to get rid of him because with Gasol as the Grizzlies center piece, they couldn't win one game in the playoffs for 3 straight years. Gasol's huge contract and poor defense will place a ceiling on any team trying to build around him. If we trade for him, we will hit the ceiling, fans will grow tired of the Hawks, and it be time for a rebuild yet again.

Sheldon and Smith are ideal front court compliments for Gasol. If we hang on to ZaZa that make a deep, versatile front court.

Gasol never had a player any where near as good as a 25 year old Joe Johnson.

Battier and Miller don't ball like Johnson. Heck, I don't think either Miller or Battier are as good as Smoove. Gasol has never had the pleasure of playing with an elite shot blocker like Smoove on defense.

I really like the Gasol and would support it 100 %.

If we did not have Smoove I would be all for Yi or Hoford. With Smith at (21), and Marvin at (20), I would bring in the soon to be (27) Gasol who is just now entering his prime to compete right now.

I bet Smoove weighs in at a legit 250 next year making him a true PF and Gasol will be a 7', 260 pounder. I like that front line with either Sheldon or Za Za off the bench.

Quote:

Gasol has a huge contract.

Gasol would cost us more than the 3rd pick.

It's not worth it.

Don't trade the pick

Any 26 year old (soon to be 27) legit 20 ppg/ 10 rpg/

2 bpg/ 55% FG/ 7'. 260 lb guy is going to have a max contract and Gasol is worth every penny of it.

In saying all that I agree in that I would not give up "too much" in a trade for Gasol. To me "too much" mean I will not include #11 or Josh Smith, or JJ. Any one else is fair game.

If the Hawks can give up #3 / Chills / and spair parts such as:

Speedy / Lo / or even ZaZa I am all for it.

I am guessing:

#3 / Chills / ZaZa or Sheldon / Speedy or AJ wil be our final offer to take it or leave it.

#3 , Chills (24), ZaZa (23), Speedy or AJ for Gasol is a simple a no brainer to me.

They can have Lo too,if they want him, he is cap relief in the last year of his deal like AJ. There is value in those 2 teams if the trading partner is looking toward the future more then the now.

Gasol / Smith / JJ / Jack will put us in the playoffs. Let the 2 Williams fight it out for who fits chemisty wise with those 4. There is room for both Marvin and Sheldon to get 30 MPG. That team is young while at the same time having enough expierence to win now and not just compete. Gasol at 27 & Johnson 26 would be the oldest starters entering the primes of their careers.

Sheldon are Marvin would really compliment our roster depending on need. If we need a bruiser, rebounder, and toughness go with Sheldon. If Sheldon's defender is double teaming JJ and Gasol too much throw in Marvin to make them pay with his mid range jumper.

I kind of like Sheldon starting setting a tough defensive tone to games. Then when one of our scorers needs a break we bring in Marvin to pick up the scoring we lose when JJ or Gasol rest.

That is a team with roles that works and have a plan behind it.

I like it !

Quote:

There really is no center out there for what is the answer. The Point Guard issue is attainable and will happen. I believe the answer for the Hawks are in the weight room (Solomon, Shelden and Zaza) with personal trainers. Our coaches have to continue to emphesize defense upfront with what we got.
singer.gif

and i think that ties into what BK said about shelden playing center....i mean we NEED a defensive presence in the post but there is nothing worth the #3 out there..so maybe telling us about shelden playing center WASNT a smokescreen and just a setup for the fans to get ready for him to pick Yi at #3....

• Premium Member

Let me add one more factor through the eyes of BK..

BK is being awfully polite lately. Really, BK is celebrating in his heart... All the people who were saying "BK Sucks" are now saying " I wish I was BK"... that's because BK's luck took us from possibly no pick to two lottery picks.

However, with great power comes great responsibility.

That means that we have to hope that we can get a good enough pick to make Phoenix regret their trade of JJ.

Like it or not, if we take Yi and we're still a mediocre team, Phoenix gets a good pick. BK looks like a fool... Even though Yi's potential is very high.

Gasol or JO become strong possibilities because Either guy would definitely put our CORE into the ECF our core being JJ, Shelden, and ??Marvin??. I hate to say it but I believe to get one of these Major players, Smoove has to be in the trade.

BUT.. YI would give us championship possibilities and FAN Following for the next 10 years. The way I hear it, we have already made a deal with Yi... My question is will we keep him or trade him or will we reneg on the deal?

Quote:

Like it or not, if we take Yi and we're still a mediocre team, Phoenix gets a good pick. BK looks like a fool... Even though Yi's potential is very high.

One word. SUNK COST. BK should only do what is in the best interest of the franchise which is to maximize the probability of getting as many championship as possible for as long as possible. Gasol doesn't make us a championship team.

We

lose too many young studs,

kill our cap flexibility,

lose more players in the future for lack of $,

lose a potential superstar who could take us to promised land,

lose too much $ from money generated by Yi,

lose Yi who may have given us extra $ to fell free to pay luxury taxes.

All this to get a player whose left foot is his achilles hill which caused him to play more than 60 games only once in the last 3 years.

Guest Walter

I'm setting aside all the other reasons (Gasol is better now, Yi looks to be more talented). The reason that firmly places me in the "draft Yi at 3 over trade #3/Childress/Speedy for Gasol" side of things is the cost of Gasol and the timing of that cost.

Gasol's deal is large. We all know that. Even with moving Speedy as part of the deal, it's large. Two years ago that would not have been bad. With the contracts of JS and MW coming up next year and the following year it might. Yi's contract will not be up for 4 years and I believe in as early as his 2nd year he will be putting up 15/8 at least. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I have too high of hopes for Yi. Maybe I'm miscalculating Gasol's salary hit now and in coming years...I reserve the right to change my mind, particularly if details change...but...

...I choose Yi.

Note: I also choose Yi because if he does do well we retain restricted FA rites with him and can expect to resign him.

W

• Premium Member

We're different. Not b/c I'd choose Yi, or b/c I'd choose Gasol... or for that matter, Horford.

No, we're different b/c I don't think one can make an educated choice either way unless one knows what the actual cost in terms of assets would be.

Just on principle, you don't answer a multiple choice question when all of the answers are incomplete sentences that you don't know how they'll end.

And we won't know that unless an actual trade transpires, of course.

munching_out.gif

Guest Walter

Quote:

We're different. Not b/c I'd choose Yi, or b/c I'd choose Gasol... or for that matter, Horford.

No, we're different b/c I don't think one can make an educated choice either way unless one knows what the actual cost in terms of assets would be.

Just on principle, you don't answer a multiple choice question when all of the answers are incomplete sentences that you don't know how they'll end.

And we won't know that unless an actual trade transpires, of course.

munching_out.gif

I feel stuffed but malnurished.

I reserved the right to change my opinion if details change. I think that qualified my choice enough to avoid any of your stated pitfalls.

W

Walt, you're making the reasoned call, bro. I think we are of like mind in this difficult time.

I say it again - if we're constrained to the salary cap by management - Gasol is a NO GO. It would be different if we would be allowed, just like all the other competitive teams, to spend cash on our own. The court problems are not going away before the draft so how can we take the risk? Also, Gasol probably will cost more than your best case #3/Chill/Craig scenario. If I ask you to put Smoove in instead of Chill I think you're even deeper in the Yi camp.

If the deal were Smoove/#11/whatever, it would change the dynamic of the deal completely and I'd have to reconsider that.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Walt, you're making the reasoned call, bro. I think we are of like mind in this difficult time.

I feel I could be wrong on this one but I simply believe in Yi more than Gasol in terms of BOTH contention and franchise well-being (which leads to sustained contention. There are deal specifics that could change this but not many.

JS/#3 is a laugher for me and JS/11 isn't much better. I don't like the idea of keeping the #3 pick I-F we're not going to get Yi. I don't like the idea of trading JS as I think he is a perfect do everything without always needing the ball, third piece to a contending team.

W

I thought a little more about the JS/#11/Speedy for Pau scenario (assuming that's even valid), and I think you would probably still want to take the value of Yi at #3 (or maybe even Horford). A front line of Gasol and Yi could be something great. Then you still need to make a trade for a PG, but you should have the excess pieces to do it. Probably would make sense to move Zaza because I would like the front line rotation of Gasol/Yi/Shelden/Solo - that is versatile as hell. I think Zaza + (Lue or AJ) could bring us back a young PG or maybe late lotto pick for Crit.

That leaves you with:

Crit?/ Lue or AJ

JJ/ Salim

MW / Chill

Yi / Shelden

Gasol / Solo

You know it's not half bad. smile.gif No irritating duplication. People in backup roles who were made to play backup roles. Without a really big salary for Smoove, I think it works out financially, though without breathing room.

Quote:

Quote:

I feel I could be wrong on this one but I simply believe in Yi more than Gasol in terms of BOTH contention and franchise well-being (which leads to sustained contention. There are deal specifics that could change this but not many.

JS/#3 is a laugher for me and JS/11 isn't much better. I don't like the idea of keeping the #3 pick I-F we're not going to get Yi. I don't like the idea of trading JS as I think he is a perfect do everything without always needing the ball, third piece to a contending team.

W

Agree 100%. Also, as I have mentioned in the past, Chillz is no filler. He is like Forest Gump who is always at the right place at the right time. You want to be champion, you better not treat him like a filler.

I ran the numbers of that JS/#11/Speedy trade scenario, and actually it works out great. We could resign everyone and be right at or near the cap. The thing that makes it work is moving the expected big salary of Smoove, and the mid-sized deal of Speedy.

Would Memphis do that? I think I would, but only if I knew I could line up the deal for the PG.