• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

When does the future begin?

AmishBoy

Or when can we expect to compete for a championship. If we draft Yi we are preparing for the future. JJ and Gasol together should be expected to begin competing for the chance to represent the East in the Finals immediately. There will be no need to worry about Gasol's contracts effect the future cap flexibility of the team. The future would begin immediately.

In terms of Yi. JJ has three years left on his contract. How long will it take for Yi to become great? At least 2 years. We have a team now that can conceivably get to the playoffs next year without much contribution for Yi. We make the playoffs next year and the year after while Yi develops. In the third year he's great and we make a run for the title. Well that year JJ's contract is up and he becomes even more expensive along with a resigned Marvin, Josh Smith, Childress, Shelden, Solo, and Salim.

Inevitably we will have to go over the cap. If we keep worrying about not signing this player or that player because of cap flexibility we will never have a good team.

The way our prized player contracts are staggered it's impossible for us to stay under the cap, while simultaneously all the players reach their max potential(someone pointed this out earlier). If Yi is the pick than fine but we really need to get on with this winning thing.

At least next year we won't have to worry about the future superstar player because we won't have any picks. J/K. People will be screaming about how we need to trade into that draft.

I wonder do fans of other teams worry about money they are not spending like this one?

This is a good post and a good argument.

As long as we could keep a decent bench around a JJ/Gasol team, I would be for it. I've argued elsewhere that this can't be done if we keep our current core (minus Chill), and can only spend up to the cap. The point of the argument being, we're not going to win a championship with JJ/Gasol and no depth. You may disagree with that, but that's my opinion.

So, it comes back to, what does Gasol cost? The two most likely trades I see:

a) #3/Chill/Zaza/Craig - we can compete immediately and be very strong next year. I think the team will stagnate (near 50-55 wins?) after Smoove's extension costs us the bench in 08. Hell, it's not that bad honestly. At some point we have to get to the winning, as you say.

b) #11/Smoove/Craig - we get better immediately because Gasol>Smoove. Gasol is so much more efficient offensively. We pack up Smoove, his 31% jumper, and his shotblocks into the frontrow. We pick Yi at #3, trade Zaza/filler for a young PG. Without Smoove's big extension, we can spend that 8-10M on our deep bench, and Childress is a big part of that. I think this team starts out good and continues to improve as Yi develops his immense talent at PF. Gasol plays mostly at C in either scenario. If we get the right PG in the trade we are cooking.

Quote:

So, it comes back to, what does Gasol cost? The two most likely trades I see:

a) #3/Chill/Zaza/Craig - we can compete immediately and be very strong next year. I think the team will stagnate (near 50-55 wins?) after Smoove's extension costs us the bench in 08. Hell, it's not that bad honestly. At some point we have to get to the winning, as you say.

You realize the best team in the EAst this year had only 53 wins and only 2 teams in the east had over 50 wins. Detroit had 53 wins and I doubt they meet that total next year.

A 50 win team is the class of the EAst right now.

Pull the freakin' trigger and get Gasol.

If Smoove stays at PF he will not shoot as many J's as last year. We forget the 1st 2months of the seasopn Smoove logged most of his minutes at SF.

I'd love to get Gasol, but like you put it, it would greatly weaken our bench. Grant it, there are alot of teams who play with basically an 8 man rotation. Our youth and inexperience might limit that. By my best guess, trading for Gasol will leave us with 11 people under contract and very close to the cap.

#3, Childress, Claxton (they'd probably rather have Lue), ZaZa for Gasol

AJ, Lue, JJ, Salim, Marvin, Smoove, Shelden, Gasol, Wright, Jones, and the #11 pick

If we can get them to take Claxton over Lue, we're in better shape since we move the bigger contract and obligation, but if I'm Memphis, I'd ask for Lue over Speedy any day. Either way, you're still limited to what you can do to fill the roster out. Remember, we don't have a draft pick next season so the draft is out. We could always sign undrafted players and FA, but we're working off a tight budget so it makes it tougher. I think we're a playoff team regardless of who we sign, but how deep could that team go? Who knows.

• Premium Member

Amish,

Unfortunately we root for a franchise that will not spend the money. Look at the Braves for example, after Ted sold the team the payroll keeps getting cut, the new owners are no different, and the Braves are not a upper echelon team anymore.

IMO it is not the fans responsibility to worry about the payroll, that is why you have ownership and a GM.

Our ownership and GM are lacking IMO.

I say the future begins june 28th. We should get out future pg in this draft at either 3 or 11, hopefully 11 and a good player will be taken at 3. We will make the playoffs if BK drafts well, and we dont trade any of our main pieces. If we have another injury plagued season I feel we should still make the playoffs, because we will have much better depth and year of experience.

I've preached this sermon since the ping-pong balls stopped swirling in Secaucas. We can keep betting on tomorrow all we want to but we're not the ones bleeding $$$ because of the empty seats and no playoff revenue coming in. We can't continue this perpetual rebuilding plan we've been on.

We have to get back to the business of winning basketball games and postseason play, especially in the weak East. If 44 wins got Miami the SE division crown and 50 earned homecourt advantage for the first two rounds of the playoffs, why NOT go for the gusto while the gettings good? Again, if (and that's a big if) Gasol can be had at a decent price, you pull the trigger and make the deal.

Tell the Grizleys, - "Here's our players. You can have

any of them you want, up to the salary match, for Gasol."

What would we have left? Nothing. No draft picks.

Josh Smith - Gone. Either Marvin or Shelden, or both.

But, we've got our man! Nothing else matters !!

Seriously, this ain't happening, but if we are to get

this guy, he's going to cost - A LOT!!

They aren't giving him away, that's for sure. Can the

Hawks afford to give them what they would ask? Sure,

we can make them an offer they can't refuse, but, is he

worth THAT much? That's the question we must answer.

The real question is not, do we want him. Sure we do.

Go down to the local car dealership - looking to buy

a new car in the $16 - $20 thousand price range.

Man oh man! Look at that baby, and only $48 Grand!

If we sell our house and get two full time jobs, we

could buy that one. Should we ??

Question - What's the cost ????

confused.gif

We all know that everything is pure speculation right now until pen hits paper. I've said from jump street that if Gasol comes at the expense of JJ/Smith and/or both picks, forget it. I'm sure the Grizzlies don't want to give him away either but then again, did anyone think the Nets would get Vince Carter for what they gave up? We don't know what the Grizzlies are REALLY wanting for Gasol; do anyone really know what the actual asking price is and what they're willing to settle for?

If it was up to me, I'd love to get Garnett, Amare, McGrady, see if Duncan's available or call up Nash's agent. But last I checked, none of those guys are available, let alone attainable. Who knows, Gasol may not be, either; but until that's verified.....

• Premium Member

I have said all along that if Yi really is expected to be a younger version of Gasol then is the difference between him and Gasol THAT MUCH that it is worth trading for Gasol? And HOW MUCH of a difference? If its just one or two pieces then make the trade. If it is something more than that then as much as I really like Gasol's game then stick with the pick and take Yi (or Horford if you really think he can bring it).

Gasol has come out and publicly stated recently that if Memphis doesn't get him some help, he wants out. Grant it, they don't have to honor his request, but who wants their highest paid star ticked off? He's got a great deal of value so they'll either get him some help or trade him, and honestly, I don't see where they have a great deal of tradeable assets to acquire a big name player to offer the type of help Gasol might be looking for. Miller has value as a scorer, but plays no defense so that kinda' cuts some of his potential suitors out. Who knows what they could get for anyone? I think it's exactly like you said, anyone's guess until something actually gets done.