• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chad Ford NBA Chat

WraithSentinel

---------

Chat with Chad Ford

Welcome to The Show! On Thursday, ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford will drop by to talk some NBA hoops.

Ford covers the NBA and NBA Draft for ESPN Insider and also makes appearances on ESPN Radio and ESPNEWS.

Send in your questions to Chad now, then join him right here in The Show on Thursday at noon ET!

Ford Archive: Chats | Columns

Chad Ford: (12:08 PM ET ) Aloha everyone. Just got back from a LONG flight from Italy to Hawaii. Reebok Eurocamp was great, but I must confess, it meant that I've missed the last three Finals games so .... we're going to have to talk NBA draft and other business today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Chicago: Chad any chance that the Bulls trade up in the draft to get Yi, and if so who do they trade?

Chad Ford: (12:09 PM ET ) They are one of the teams (the Warriors seem to be the other) trying to move up. The problem is that no one knows for sure how high they have to go. Atlanta is interested at 3 and Boston has some interest at 5. If he gets past those two teams, he could fall right into the Bulls laps at No. 9. Warriors are dangling Jason Richardson and their pick to get higher too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chad (Austin, TX): Any new information about Durant and if he has possibly slid in the draft? I say 'No Way', but dumber things have happened. Thanks!

Chad Ford: (12:10 PM ET ) No way, he'll be the No. 2 pick and go to Seattle.

Mike G. (Houston): How do you expect the return of Mike James to affect the Rockets' plans to draft a point guard?

Chad Ford: (12:12 PM ET ) I think they'll obviously be looking at front court given a pretty big glut of backcourt players and very little in the way of front court now that Juwan Howard is gone. I have LSU big man Glen Davis penciled in there. Another possibility is Nevada's Nick Fazekas.

Christopher (Phoenix, AZ): Chad, what would you do if you were Steve Kerr and needed to add depth, youth and cheap contracts all at the same time? Trade up, or something differen?

Chad Ford: (12:13 PM ET ) I know they'll try to package their picks with a guy like Boris Diaw or Marcus Banks in return for an expiring contract, but I'm not sure they'll find any takers. If I was Kerr, I think I'd hang onto Marion one more year. The Sns aren't that far away from a title.

Drew (Philly): Chad, I have a trade scenario for you. The Sixers trade Dalembert, Willie Green, Ollie (cap) and swap 1st round picks with Detroit for Rasheed Wallace. The Sixers then draft Smith at 16 and Stuckey at 21. What do you think?

Chad Ford: (12:16 PM ET ) Pistons don't have any real interest in a Dalembert for Sheed swap. If they trade Sheed, they need to replace him with someone who can score in the post. He was their most legit low post scoring option in the playoffs this year. I'm not sure the Pistons will shake it up as much as infuse some of their young players (Amir Johnson, No. 15 pick, maybe Alex Acker) into the line-up. If they can make a big trade they will, but I'm not sure Joe's ready to blow this thing up.

Phil (LA): Who do the Lakers draft at 19, do they trade to try and acquire some "help now"? Is Gasol's younger brother a future all-star?

Chad Ford: (12:17 PM ET ) That pick is one of the chips they are using to get a star to help Kobe. I still believe, at the end of the day, that the Lakers and Pacers will work something out for Jermaine O'Neal and the Pacers will get that pick.

Chad Ford: (12:17 PM ET ) And no ... Marc Gasol is nothing like his brother. He's bigger and stronger, but he's not nearly as athletic or skilled.

Anthony (NYC): Are Kobe and Curry the best inside outside duo in the L?

Chad Ford: (12:18 PM ET ) Kobe would kills a guy like Eddy Curry or Zach Randolph. If the Lakers make a move, they'll need a veteran who knows how to play.

Eddie (Hoboken, nj): Lots and lots of rumors about the Knicks and Kobe, JO, etc. You hear any truth to any of this?

Chad Ford: (12:21 PM ET ) With all the respect to my guy Chris Sheridan, if the Knicks get Kobe for all the junk Sheridan put out there ... it may go down as the worst trade in NBA history. David Lee's a very good role player ... the rest (Jamal Crawford, Channing Frye, Nate Robinson) ... Knicks can't give those guys away right now. Danny Ainge wouldn't give the Knicks the No. 5 pick for a combination of those players.

Morgan (Siletz, OR): Who do you think is the most NBA ready of the draftees... who will be the ROY next year?

Chad Ford: (12:23 PM ET ) Oden and Durant are obviously ready right now and I think they'll compete for Rookie of the Year, with Oden having the slight edge in year one. Also Al Horford and Al Thornton look like guys who could come in and have a big year one impact.

Marc (Virginia Beach): Is it possible that the Blazers will pick Durant because he might prove to be more marketable?

Chad Ford: (12:25 PM ET ) No. There's lots of good reasons to take Durant No. 1 ... but that isn't one of them. I've said since lottery night that there's a 99 percent chance that they'll take Oden. I'm sticking with that.

Brian (Memphis): Hey Chad, Are Blazers going to get a legit starting SF by trading Zach Randolph, say a Jamison or a Rashard Lewis in a three way?

Chad Ford: (12:27 PM ET ) I think they've focused on trying to get a draft pick in the lottery to address that need. They like Corey Brewer, Jeff Green, Julian Wright and Al Thornton and would like to get their hands on one of them. I don't think Seattle's going to send Rashard Lewis to a team in their division.

David (VA) : Do you think Jeff Green stays in the draft? Which team do you think has the most interest in him?

Chad Ford: (12:28 PM ET ) I think he should. I think he's a Top 10 pick. I think he'll be a better pro player than a college player. I understand why he wants to go back and will respect him if he does. Georgetown will have a chance to win a national championship. Really he has two good options but I think at the end of the day, he'll stay in the draft.

John (Wisco): Is Paxson going to finally pull the trigger on something while he still can with PJ Brown in a sign and trade.

Chad Ford: (12:31 PM ET ) I expect a deal for the Bulls this summer. P. J. Brown in a sign-and-trade is a valuable chip. If they don't play it, Paxson would be forced to give up multiple players he wants to keep in any trade. I put Zach Randolph at the top of the probability list, but I still believe the Bulls have a shot at KG. The Wolves are looking like a last place team in their division right now (the trade of Mike James didn't help that) and everyone else in the division is getting stronger. If they wait any longer, KG's value won't be high.

Chet (toronto): Will Ricky Rubio be the 1st player chosen in 2 years?

Chad Ford: (12:32 PM ET ) Right now? I'd say yes. But two years is a LONG time.

steve antigua: Where is Sean Williams going?

Chad Ford: (12:32 PM ET ) I'd say Nets at No. 17 or Knicks at No. 23.

Joe (Philly): Chad - Thanks for taking the time to update us non-inside folks. Who's stock currently rising/falling and who would you consider a sleeper second round pick? Curtis Sumpter maybe...

Chad Ford: (12:39 PM ET ) I'd say that everyone seems to be trying to get their hands on Al Horford ... but with Memphis almost a lock to take him at No. 4, that means they have to deal with Atlanta at No. 3. The Bucks, Bulls and Sixers would all love to move up and get him. Some are whispering that the Wolves may take Spencer Hawes at No. 7 ... in that case he's rising. Nick Young of USC also seems to be rising right now. As far as falling, I'm not sure Joakim Noah is helping himself in workouts.

As for sleeper second round picks, I don't think Sumpter gets drafted. I'd say Dominic McGuire or Jared Jordan.

D (Indiana): what do you see DET doing at 15 and 27?

Chad Ford: (12:40 PM ET ) I've had Rodney Stuckey and DeVon Hardin penciled in for weeks but I also think they'll consider Al Thornton, Thaddeus Young and Nick Young at No. 15 and there's a good chance that Hardin returns to school. Wouldn't be surprised if the Pistons also try to package the picks to move up a few spots.

Josh (Boise, ID): Mike Conley to the Hawks at pick 3, here is why: when was the last time PURE point guard, projected as a top 10 pick, didn't work out? I can't think of any highly regarded pure points that didn't at least become a starter. Maybe lesser talents like Mateen Cleaves, Frank Williams and Jacque Vaughn, but HIGHLY regarded pure points don't bust, they just don't. Centers and athletes do.

Chad Ford: (12:41 PM ET ) I'm forwarding your letter to Billy Knight. Makes sense to me ... though I could see a scenario where they trade down a few spots (to a team like the Bucks for example) pick up an asset and get Conley there.

Steve:College Park: thoughts on Dj Strawberry's future?

Chad Ford: (12:42 PM ET ) He has the potential to be a lock down defender so ... I think someone takes him in the second. I kind of like him.

Chris (Orlando): Can the Magic keep Darko and sign Lewis or another top free agent this summer?

Chad Ford: (12:46 PM ET ) No ... I think Darko probably gets a deal averaging $8 or $9 million a year and it sounds like the Magic really want to sign him. That will eat most of their cap room.

Johnny(phx): How far does Acie law fall if the Hawks don't take him at 11?

Chad Ford: (12:46 PM ET ) Clippers like him at No. 14. I could also see the Warriors and Wizards taking a look.

Jordan (PHX): Do you see the suns possibly using a pick to take Jared Jordan as a replacemnet for Nash. Seems that people are saying hes a great pure point gaurd.

Chad Ford: (12:48 PM ET ) He is a great pure point guard, but he's not the athlete or shooter than Nash is. It's not out of the question that he goes in the first round (we keep hearing that Isiah loves him) but he's more likely a second round pick.

Mike (Milwaukee): What would the Bucks have to give up to swap picks with Atlanta? They NEED Horford.

Q (ABQ): Is there anyone the Spurs could get at 28 to be their backup point next year?

Chad Ford: (12:50 PM ET ) Probably would cost them Charlie Villanueva ... or maybe Mo Williams in a sign-and-trade?

Greg (Bedford, MA): What's your take on Brandan Wright? He's obviously still pretty raw, but how long do you think it will take for himto become a big-time contributor?

Chad Ford: (12:52 PM ET ) I'm torn on him. Love the physical tools ... not thrilled about his energy and skill level. I don't know why someone would take him over Al Horford. Both are roughly the same size, length and athleticism ... but Horford has 40 pounds on him and is more skilled.

Bill (Boston): Do you think Jared Dudley can sneak into the first round?

Chad Ford: (12:52 PM ET ) Maybe from a team that thinks he can fill a Shane Battier type role in the pros. That's who scouts are comparing him to.

Sean, Salt Lake City: Will the Jazz trade Kirilenko, and what will they do with their pick? Thanks!

Chad Ford: (12:55 PM ET ) I heard they almost moved Kirilenko at the trade deadline to the Raptors for Mo Peterson and change. Not sure if they're still inclined to move him now. I think they like Derrick Byars and Morris Almond, both big shooters, with their first round pick.

John (Boston, MA): Do you think taking Corey Brewer with the 5th pick would be too high for him?

Chad Ford: (12:57 PM ET ) No, it's not too high. Danny likes him. ... I think he's in the mix with Yi and probably Brandan Wright for that pick. Just think, at the end of the day, the Celtics trade this pick for some immediate help. Too many teams are trying to move up and the Celtics are in a good position. I think it would be a mistake not to "sell high"

Jay (Chicago): Which will have higher ratings? The Finals or the Draft?

Chad Ford: (12:59 PM ET ) Wow ... Realistically the answer is the Finals ... but I hear you. Lots more interest from NBA fans on this year's draft than the Finals. But I've been saying that for months. Drafts are great when they have franchise players in them. It's the one time of the year when fans of the worst teams in the league have a little hope.

Chad Ford: (12:59 PM ET ) Got to run everyone ... will do this next week. Look for the next mock draft coming out on the 19th.

• Moderators

Ford did say Atlanta was looking at Yi at #3 twice during the chat. I don't think he is willing to commit to who Atlanta will draft.

It sounds like he has definitely committed to saying Atlanta should draft Conley:

Quote:

Josh (Boise, ID): Mike Conley to the Hawks at pick 3, here is why: when was the last time PURE point guard, projected as a top 10 pick, didn't work out? I can't think of any highly regarded pure points that didn't at least become a starter. Maybe lesser talents like Mateen Cleaves, Frank Williams and Jacque Vaughn, but HIGHLY regarded pure points don't bust, they just don't. Centers and athletes do.

Chad Ford: (12:41 PM ET ) I'm forwarding your letter to Billy Knight. Makes sense to me ... though I could see a scenario where they trade down a few spots (to a team like the Bucks for example) pick up an asset and get Conley there.

Let's test this hypothesis. Here is the list for the last ten years of top 10 point guards. It is a pretty low bust rate, IMO. * = player devastated by injury

Deron Williams

Chris Paul

Raymond Felton

Shaun Livingston*

Devin Harris

Kirk Hinrich

TJ Ford

Jay Williams*

Keyon Dooling

Steve Francis

Baron Davis

Andre Miller

Jason Terry

Mike Bibby

Jason Williams

Chauncy Billups

Antonio Daniels

I think Durant is plenty ready on offense. But, his defense will be so bad he may end up a net liability.

His athleticism will likely prevent him from ever being a good defender but right now he will be about as effective as Adam Morrison on defense.

That ain't good.

Quote:

Ford did say Atlanta was looking at Yi at #3 twice during the chat. I don't think he is willing to commit to who Atlanta will draft.

It sounds like he has definitely committed to saying Atlanta should draft Conley:

Quote:

Let's test this hypothesis. Here is the list for the last ten years of top 10 point guards. It is a pretty low bust rate, IMO. * = player devastated by injury

Deron Williams

Chris Paul

Raymond Felton

Shaun Livingston*

Devin Harris

Kirk Hinrich

TJ Ford

Jay Williams*

Keyon Dooling

Steve Francis

Baron Davis

Andre Miller

Jason Terry

Mike Bibby

Jason Williams

Chauncy Billups

Antonio Daniels

especially if you compare it to the bust rate at other positions.

I think we could get possibly Minny's future 1st that is owed to Boston (it's got a ton of protection so we won't see it for a few years) along with their 2nd rounder to exchange picks. is that asking enough?

hell I'd even ask for Rondo. that's fair if they want a player that is likely to be gone in Yi or Horford through trades if they don't make a move.

#3 for #5, Minny's 1st, Rondo.

Ricky Rubio - just looked him up. 16 year old Spanish point guard.

Became the youngest ever to play in Spain's ACB at merely 14 years of age! Won the MVP Award at the 2006 U16 European Championships after arguably the most dominant performance in tournament history, leading the competition in points, rebounds, assists and steals. Scored 51 points, grabbed 24 rebounds and dished out 12 assists in the 110-106 finale victory over Russia...

Wow - we could use him!

• Moderators

Quote:

I think we could get possibly Minny's future 1st that is owed to Boston (it's got a ton of protection so we won't see it for a few years) along with their 2nd rounder to exchange picks. is that asking enough?

hell I'd even ask for Rondo. that's fair if they want a player that is likely to be gone in Yi or Horford through trades if they don't make a move.

I think that is probably too much. Rondo alone or the 1st/2nd combo would be more likely, IMO. Rondo alone might be too much, though, since he is a player Boston is planning to build around.

Quote:

Quote:

I think that is probably too much. Rondo alone or the 1st/2nd combo would be more likely, IMO. Rondo alone might be too much, though, since he is a player Boston is planning to build around.

that Minny pick has some absurd protection on it for the next 4 to 5 years though. what is the average life span of an NBA GM? it would be a throw in to make the deal look sweeter for BK in the newspaper.

Quote:

Quote:

Deron Williams

Chris Paul

Raymond Felton

Shaun Livingston*

Devin Harris

Kirk Hinrich

TJ Ford

Jay Williams*

Keyon Dooling

Steve Francis

Baron Davis

Andre Miller

Jason Terry

Mike Bibby

Jason Williams

Chauncy Billups

Antonio Daniels

The devastated by injury ratio is very high. Bobby Hurley/Penny Hardaway was cursed too.

Bust ratio is low but I see a lot of disappointments.

Billup/Daniel picked before McGrady.

Francis/Davis/Miller/JT picked before some players who have played better.

Bibby over carter/Dirk/Pierce,

Jason williams over dir/Pierce

Jay Williams over Stoudamire.

Jamal Crawford was drafted as PG too.

TJ over Josh Howard.

Livingsont/Harris over Jefferson/Smoove.

The first point guard in the 2000 draft was at #22 (Daryl Sasser) and then #24 (Raul Lopez) unless you call Forte #21 a pg. All of them drafted before Dalembert, Parker, Tinsley, GWallace, Arena, Okur and Watson.

Anyway, his point should include Law too, since he is also a highly regarded point guard. Law will be there at #11. So, why is that email important to BK?

Quote:

Became the youngest ever to play in Spain's ACB at merely 14 years of age! Won the MVP Award at the 2006 U16 European Championships after arguably the most dominant performance in tournament history, leading the competition in points, rebounds, assists and steals. Scored 51 points, grabbed 24 rebounds and dished out 12 assists in the 110-106 finale victory over Russia...

Wow - we could use him!

His body probably developed before the other kids. When the others catch up he won't be that special. You have played with overdeveloped kids when you were young? They, often, can't stay with you when you grow up. I hate them.

funny thing is i was thnking before i opened this that al thornton could contend for ROY if on a team that he gets a lot of playing time. and now chad mentions that in his chat...

i wouldnt mind trading down couple spots to get conley and something out of it. don't think they'd give us jefferson though. but then you have to figure who we get at #11....pray that noah falls?

• Moderators

Quote:

The devastated by injury ratio is very high. Bobby Hurley/Penny Hardaway was cursed too.

Bust ratio is low but I see a lot of disappointments.

PF is not free of these concerns either - paricularly guys who are dissappointing (several significant injuries have been overcome like Nene, Amare, etc.).

Lemarcus Aldridge

Shelden Williams

Dwight Howard

Charlie Villanueva

Channing Frye

Ike Diogu

Chris Bosh

Mike Sweetney

Drew Gooden

Nene Hilario

Chris Wilcox

Amare Stoudamire

Kwame Brown

Pau Gasol

Eddie Griffin

Kenyon Martin*

Stromile Swift

Marcus Fizer

Elton Brand

Lamar Odom

Raef Lafrentz

Antawn Jamison

Robert Traylor

Dirk Nowitzki

Keith Van Horn (I am reading Duncan as a C)

Tony Battie

Danny Fortson

Quote:

Quote:

Wow - we could use him!

His body probably developed before the other kids. When the others catch up he won't be that special. You have played with overdeveloped kids when you were young? They, often, can't stay with you when you grow up. I hate them.

He is playing with men now and still having on impact. The kid is the Spanish LeBron James. Stud.

I agree every player drafted has a bust factor. The claim that Conely will be a star is silly. How many 19 year old points have come out and been exceptional? I can't think of one. The NBA eats in-experienced PGs for breakfast. They then loose confidence, and their game goes south.

• Moderators

Quote:

I agree every player drafted has a bust factor. The claim that Conely will be a star is silly. How many 19 year old points have come out and been exceptional? I can't think of one. The NBA eats in-experienced PGs for breakfast. They then loose confidence, and their game goes south.

Well the question isn't a fair one since you can count the number of 19 year old points who have come out in the history of the NBA without using your toes. Simply too small a sample size to be meaningful.

Anyone think Magic, Isiah and others who left after their sophmore years would have been flops if they had left after their freshman year instead? Me either.

Age is certainly not helpful for a quick impact for a pg but I think the sample size is just way to small to draw much of a conclusion.

Tony Parker is the most recent stunning success. He was also the youngest PG to lead a team to a title, and is about to be the first foreign (other than Virgin Islands) Finals MVP. And he is the player whose game is closest to Conley for what it's worth.