• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hot - - Or not??

Gray Mule

Here's something to ponder on as we await the draft

and / or trades that are coming up shortly.

Last season, what kind of offense did the Hawks run?

I believe it was mostly a jumpshooting team. And, as

the High School cheer goes:

When you're hot, you're hot !!

Whan you're not, you're not !!

Last season, when the Hawks were burning the nets,

dropping in those occasional bombs for three, grabbing

those loose balls and rebounding and showing a lot

of energy, we could stay with anyone - Yes! Any one!!

Trouble was, there was no guarantee that those shots would

fall every game - Sometimes they did and sometimes - -!!!

You get the picture.

Now, the question is: Was this our game plan, or did it

just work out that way? Usually, there wasn't a great

deal of movement without the ball. Why? Was it the

fault of the P.G. or the game plan?

The thing is, we all want a super P.G. No one will

disagree with that - But, if the Hawks are going to stand

around, waiting for the clock to run down, then take

the open jumper, why do we need him?

It's all the fault of our present players who play P.G.

Is it really, or could a tiny part of it be due to the

Hawks game plan??

Before J.J. went down for the remainder of the season,

too many times to count, the Hawks simply gave him the

ball, then stood around, waiting for him to bail them

out, get double or triple teamed and force a turnover.

Then, with no J.J. they improved their play and became

more of a team, getting others involved much more. They

had no choice. J.J. wasn't there any longer.

Still, they were jumpshooters more than anything else.

Will a new P.G. cure this? Nope. Hawks must have

a game plan that works, regardless of the P.G.

Play defense and hope the jumpshots fall? Learn to

hang on to the ball? Stop silly turnovers?

What, besides adding players, do the Hawks need to do??

confused.gif

I only recently discoverd this board and have found it curious that this is not discussed more often.

We can get Steve Nash, Pau Gasol AND Kobe Bryant and we still won't win until we get a better coach. (okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get the point).

I think Marvin, Salim, and Shelden have all under-achieved because they don't really understand their role. And like you say, there doesn't seem to be much of an offensive game plan. People talk about how we were the lowest scoring team in the league as if we need more individual scorers, but the reality is we have all the scorers we need. We just need a coach who knows what he is doing.

To justify the remark that we have scorers, consider that JJ is a given. When he went out in March, Josh Smith routinely scored 20+ points per game. When Josh went out, Marvin scored 20+ points per game. Without looking it up, I bet Speedy, Lue, AJ, Salim, Josh, Lo, and possibly Shelden have all had 20 point games in their career.

A real PG is desperately needed, but a real coach is needed more.

• Premium Member

I definitely agree that Woodson just is not up to snuff to be a NBA head coach.

That being said...we have not had a reliable low post game either on the starting or primary bench unit since SAR was here. That was years ago. We need a low post scorer more than we need anything, point guard included. A great point guard only can really shine when there is some kind of post scorer to draw attention and demand respect from the defense.

Otherwise you are just a jump shooting team. And you can't win a title that way.

They were talking Hawks on the radio today and someone called in and said that games are won and lost in the last five minutes. That's when coaches earn their money. That being said, how many games have we lost due to coaching in the last five minutes? Seems like a lot.

Quote:

I only recently discoverd this board and have found it curious that this is not discussed more often.

We can get Steve Nash, Pau Gasol AND Kobe Bryant and we still won't win until we get a better coach. (okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get the point).

I think Marvin, Salim, and Shelden have all under-achieved because they don't really understand their role. And like you say, there doesn't seem to be much of an offensive game plan. People talk about how we were the lowest scoring team in the league as if we need more individual scorers, but the reality is we have all the scorers we need. We just need a coach who knows what he is doing.

To justify the remark that we have scorers, consider that JJ is a given. When he went out in March, Josh Smith routinely scored 20+ points per game. When Josh went out, Marvin scored 20+ points per game. Without looking it up, I bet Speedy, Lue, AJ, Salim, Josh, Lo, and possibly Shelden have all had 20 point games in their career.

A real PG is desperately needed, but a real coach is needed more.

Wait till the season. I'm the biggest Woodson hater on the board but it's not really the time. He sucks. Most everyone knows. Right now is about BK sucking. Just wait till the season.

Quote:

Quote:

[/indent]

What are you talking about? It says you registered in 02'.

Quote:

They were talking Hawks on the radio today and someone called in and said that games are won and lost in the last five minutes. That's when coaches earn their money. That being said, how many games have we lost due to coaching in the last five minutes? Seems like a lot.

that sir is so on point. my thoughts exactly!

how many times have the hawks had the ball with under a minute to go coming back from a timeout, they then have an extremely rough time inbounding the ball, once/if they actually do get the ball in play they spend the remaining time looking like a bunch of lost clowns until someone puts up a desperation heave with time running out.

maybe someone can help me but is there a coach worse than woody in the nba? i don't think so.