• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Per Ford Insider: Boston vs. Atlanta Offer for Pau

jaywalker72

The only way Boston has a chance to get Pau is if they send Al Jefferson to Memphis along with the 5th pick.

Memphis wants Al Horford badly enough that they may trade Pau to the Hawks for the pick and Josh Childress. However, if they could get Al Jefferson, they would satisfy their desire to get a big, physical low post player, and they would happily use the 4th and 5th picks on Mike Conley Jr. and Joakim Noah.

Don't be surprised though that if they do trade Pau, they end up taking Horford and Noah.

Well...3 is definitely better than 5. And to me Josh Childress seems like a better player than Delonte West.

I gets it just comes down to whether you value talent or an expiring contract more, because otherwise the Hawks' deal looks better.

But at this point I'd almost rather take Horford and trade the 11 pick for Jarrett Jack + the Blazer's second-round pick and call it good.

It would be a noooooooo-brainer for MEM to do either deal.

Getting Jefferson would be mind boggling, considering the paychecks that Pau gets to cash. Getting a pick also so they can grab another big (Noah) makes MEM a 50 win team again.

I can't believe that teams still are willing to trade top of the draft players for vets that carry a huge salary. There is a reason these guys are being traded for exactly the players you are giving up. Those guys are going to produce about the same for a ridiculously low amount of money for the next 5 years.

There is no doubt that Gasol would make one of these teams better next year, but what about the year after, and then after? Are these teams going to start over again?

For the Hawks...it's five years of building and then....POOF! Trade for a year or two of .500 ball? I really think the Hawks should avoid a deal unless it's for another young player, like when the Clippers dealt #2 for Elton Brand.

For the Celtics, I can see it...You don't have Paul Pierce and rebuild. You either deal him or get some guys around him. Even still, the C's with Gasol and Pierce are alright, but not title threatening.

But the Hawks still can do it without mortgaging these picks...

I've been having similar feelings. This does seem an awful lot like our original SAR/Gasol deal although I think Gasol is a better player than SAR ever was. How old is Gasol? 27? He still has a lot of good basketball left. I think I'd rather just draft at #3 and find a way to acquire our 'big name' player using a combination of Childress, Zaza, Salim and Marvin.

I agree with you. I don't want to deal for Pau because it would be bringing in a player that doesn't do it on both ends of the floor, and Pau is also miscast as a center. Yes, he would definitely help out Joe Johnson offensively, but he wouldn't improve the Hawks one bit defensively. I said in another thread, Pau Gasol makes the Hawks a 7th or 8th seed in the East that gets eliminated early in the playoffs.

If the Hawks draft Horford, they probably won't make the playoffs this coming season, but I believe they will be set up better for success in the playoffs once they get there.

With that said, it really seems like Billy wants to trade for Pau Gasol. He drafted him in Memphis and still loves his game. If Billy can't come to an agreement with Memphis, my gut tells me that Billy will take Yi Jianlian. He's the player that is most similar to Pau in the draft, and I'm sure the Hawks ownership has plans in the works to market this guy internationally. I'm just not convinced that Yi is the right pick.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The only way Boston has a chance to get Pau is if they send Al Jefferson to Memphis along with the 5th pick.

Memphis wants Al Horford badly enough that they may trade Pau to the Hawks for the pick and Josh Childress.

Again, I've been saying this for weeks. You guys really should pay me more attention than this.

saythat.gif

Propose a better offer for Gasol than the Hawks'

I think adding in Zaza (whose skills are redundant with Gasol on the roster) gets this deal done.

I'd break it down like this...

#3 > #5 Horford (a replacement PF) is available at 3, not at 5.

Delonte vs. Chillz - Thats an intriguing comparison. I'm not sure who is rated higher. I think it would largely depend on what type of player Memphis is looking for in return. I think this would be a push.

Theo vs. Our Garbage - I think this is another preference scenario. I think our offer would be more attractive due to the fact that smaller contracts are easier to move if they wanted to do a trade later down the road. However, if Theo ever does bounce back to close to the player he was, he would easily be better than the trash we'd be offering.

I think our offer is better due to the Horford factor. Boston may have to consider throwing in Green to tip the scale in their favor.

Agreed. I don't want Gasol either because we'd be pretty much all capped out. I just don't get why we'd do that. I guess he is the proven commodity, but for a team that has some serious (court imposed) salary restrictions placed on it, I just can't see it as a wise move.

Quote:

However, if they could get Al Jefferson, they would satisfy their desire to get a big, physical low post player, and they would happily use the 4th and 5th picks on Mike Conley Jr. and Joakim Noah.

Wow. And just like that, Memphis would become a serious player. If they can get Jefferson AND the #5 for Gasol, then Danny Ainge is even dumber than I possibly imagined, which was pretty f'in dumb. The Celts would be insane to do that trade.

• Premium Member

Boston isn't offering Jefferson. If they had, Gasol would have been in Boston two seconds later.

It's basically a combination of the following:

1. Theo Ratliff (monstrous expiring contract)

2. #5 pick (Brandan Wright/Mike Conley)

3. Gerald Green (wing with potential)

Atlanta counters with:

1. Expiring contracts (Wright?)

2. #3 pick (Al Horford)

3. Cap space (up to $5M)

4. Josh Childress (wing with talent)

They're very comparable deals IMHO.

• Premium Member

Think about it..

IF Boston traded Jefferson, Theo, and a PG, let's say West... for Pau and maybe they trade picks 5 for 4..

Memphis will get everything they want:

They get a PG.

They get a BIG.

They replace Pau with a large ending contract.

Boston gets a sidekick to Pierce who can put up 20 a night.

Boston also moves up in the draft to be sure that they get either Yi or Horford.

I don't think Boston would take Horford, but if Atlanta takes Yi, Horford it is.

I also think Memphis with the 5th pick can take either Brewer or Noah and close out it's front court or go for a guy like Conley Jr.