• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks have a ton of options...

sick_five

Everyone has his/her own opinions about who should be drafted, where they should be drafted, what kind of trades should be made, etc, etc...

There are so many possibilities in this draft for the Hawks that I don't think there is one single scenario that is the "right" one, meaning that there is more than one way to skin a cat. The object is to make this team a playoff contender, to add some of the last pieces to a club that has been built from the ground up. I'm certain that it is possible to achieve that in the next few days in more ways than one.

IMO, any scenario that trades away a lot of the young talent should be avoided. I'm sure that a young player will have to be moved if a vet is brought in, but Knight has to be careful as not to remove too many of the younger guys for guys who aren't going to get any better than they are now. If the young players continue to develop, the team will be better on progression alone. As jaywalker stated in one of his threads, in so many words or less, there is no reason to sell the future for a couple of average to above average seasons. The objective is to build a consistent championship contender. It may take another couple of years, but you can't get too greedy after being so patient for so long. In some ways I would like to see Gasol here, but in some ways I would see it Babcock-esque to trade for him and pay him all that money.

With that said, I think we all know that the Hawks need a PG and a C. But aside form a position standpoint, the Hawks need interior defense (and defense in general) and another scoring threat. And that's why I'm realy liking the Camby talk... he's a guy that, although older, is perfectly fits the defensive need at C. The Hawks would have to pay him for 3 years, but by then you "should" have a guy ready to replace him. I think with a little more strength conditioning and experience, Soloman Jones could be an ideal fit in a couple of years... just in time.

If Camby is acquired, it knocks out one need. The Hawks would still need a PG AND a scorer, and that's a big reason I am a fan of Acie Law at 11. He fills both voids and is an excellent leader and clutch player that would also help the team right away. He may not be the pure point that Conley is, but his value is exceptionally better at 11 than Conley's is at 3, IMO. And he provides an outside scoring threat that will alleviate some pressure off of Joe, especially during close games in the 4th Quarter. That's a point that I don't think should be overlooked.

I think Acie Law and Marcus Camby would fill two huge voids and contribute immediately, and I haven't even talked about the #3 pick. If you pick up a guy like Camby, would you then choose Al Horford? Josh Smith's best position is PF. Shelden Williams is a PF. I personally wouldn't IF Camby was acquired. I would go with the biggest risk pick - Yi. But he is also the biggest reward pick because of the value on AND off of the court to the franchise. He could develop into a C, but if he doesn't he can still play both forward slots.

This is just one scenario, but it's the one I prefer. There is logic in a lot of different scenarios and I can definitely se where many of you would like Horford and many of you would like Conley. In all honestly, if the Hawks get some inside presence and PG help, along with a vet out of this draft, I will be happy... as long as the future isn't mortgaged for a quick (get me over the hump) fix.

There are definitely some logical scenarios that could take place. I do feel that if the Hawks are able to acquire Marcus Camby, then that is a sign that Mike Conley Jr. is clearly a player they are considering with the 3rd pick. If they get Camby, it only makes sense to take Conley at 3, IMO.

This is a great post. I posted something similar earlier, but just as long as some people share the same views as me, I know I am sane.

Trade for Camby.

Get your PG with Law

Draft Yi.

It's that simple. You maintain your depth, you get an experienced PG, and a player who will do wonders for this city.

I agree that the drop off isn't that great, and in fact might even prefer Acie Law on some levels. However, I figure that any deal for Camby will probably include the 11th pick. The point guard will then be the only position the Hawks need to make a move and fill.

Trading for Camby doesn't really solve everything as he is not a post presence on the offensive side. Without a post player to free up the outside, it will be tougher waters for a PG, especially a rookie.

I do like Camby though, injury record aside. I have always had a particular liking for shot blockers, and Camby definitely qualifies.

Well hopefully Josh Smith has worked on his post game.

The defensive issue is much more important than the post issue right now. Teams were running layup drills on us this past season with ZaZa flopping at NON-CONTACT plays. Camby's PPG wouldn't hurt this team.

I have a strong feeling a trade like this WILL happen, although I never see any meaningful BK trades (trades that bring in a big-time player). BK basically gave up Diaw and the picks for free in the JJ trade, seeing that PHX wouldn't have signed him

if it includes #11, then we use #3 for pg

but since law/critt not much diff than conley...trading 11 isn't much diff than trading 3 for us

so we better get something REALLY good for it

camby for 11/filler better not be 11/chill/zaza...or something like that

if they wanna avoid lux tax and want a sg shooter, then 11/slim/lue for camby

• Premium Member

Absolutely not... he eats too much cap room, he's got nowhere to go but down hill at this age, and he's always been too injury prone.

No to Camby.

EDIT: Oh yeah... and like Jay said, and like I should've said before I said anything else... Camby's not the low-post offensive option that most of us acknowledge we need to add.

Again... no to Camby.