• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks' strategy and Game Theory

emorywjs

On Garnett, what should Hawks do to make Amare-to-Atl happen?

From Sun's perspective, they don't want Garnett to join Kobe. That will decrease if not kill their chance of champion.

I can see Sun may try to hang on to Amare. But if Hawks can somehow "show" they are interested in facilitating Lakers to get Garnett. They will put Sun in a hurry to get Garnett.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

What the Hawks need to do to make it happen is to partner with Minnesota. If the best offer Minny can get is picks from Atlanta then we can demand whatever we want from Phoenix. If we demand Amare, I think they have to do the deal because that would put them in championship position and the past few years have shown they are not there with their current pieces.

If we threaten to accept Bynum/Odom/etc. from LA to facilitate the trade that puts even more pressure on Phoenix because they would then have to contend not only with SA, Dal, etc. but LA would be a legit contender.

Minny should also insist to Phoenix that the deal isn't going to happen unless we are involved - not because they like the Hawks but because the #3/#11, etc. is better than what Boston is offering.

Steve Nash is the Pheonix suns - they sucked before he got there and they will suck when he retires. Steve Nash has 2 to 3 years of quality ball left in him and so do KG and Tim Duncan. THe Suns can't beat Duncan with Nash and Amare - so might as well try KG = afterall he is a better all around player.

If I am some yokel in Atlanta that knows this then so do the rest of Pheonix Suns. There are very few players in the NBA that are better than Amare but KG is one of them. FOr the short term anyway.

The Suns have to have KG. If I am Billy Knight, I remind them of the closing window they have in front of them in the form of Steve Nash's back. If you want to win and do it now - you get KG. You get KG by giving us Amare, a player that has proven he can't get you over the hump.

If not = we keep the third pick and take the closest thing to Amare in the draft. A player that hasn't had the benefit of Steve Nash to boost his credibility. (If we give Nash the credit for Diaw, why not Amare?) A player with the exact same deminsions, without micro surgery on his knee, and is three years younger. A two-time proven winner that makes $10,000,000 less a year. (I am almost convincing myself)

You tell that to Pheonix and stand firm.

Any chance we could somehow luck up with Amare and Barbosa in this deal? That would solve two problems. I believe Marvin/#3/#11/Lue/Wright for those two works in the tradechecker. I'd be happy with:

Barbosa/Speedy/AJ

JJ/Salim

Chillz/

Smoove/Shelden

Amare/ZaZa/Jones

Yes, he is...

Ahh, with trading off Childress or Marvin the small forward position is SCARCE.

The Hawks will need to find a way to get some depth at the SF/SG spot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm sure we could get a BU SG/SF in Free Agency. I also think we could probably move Salim Stoudamire for a early 2nd rounder and pick up a wing with talent who fell a little.

There's a good chance that the Hawks will be getting a late 1st rounder from Phoenix. That can be used for depth at the wings.

Or, there's always the Calderon/Graham -for- Childress/Jones trade.

Josh Smith doesn't have the ball handling skills to play small forward. His position is PF. Plus, Josh is working on his post game this off-season so he's concentrating on becoming the best PF he can be.

Trading Marvin and Childress cannot be done. One of them is tough, but is a necessity to get a real PG, IMO. FA is difficult because the Hawks are only 4.25 or so under the cap. Depending on what we take back in salary on a trade that could be gone. From my understanding the Hawks can't go over the cap due to the Belkin issue, so these trades for a superstar are going to be difficult to arrange, IMO. Please correct me if I am wrong on my understanding of either cap space or the Belkin issue.