• Raised $390 of $700 target

Remember to Keep Perspective Hawks Fans

AHF

• Moderators

The last poll I ran for this week showed that approximately:

1/3 of the board favors Conley

1/3 of the board favors Yi

1/3 of the board favors Horford

We'll see what the numbers today show but the point is that the majority of Hawks fans on here are not going to get their preferred person at #3 (assuming the Hawks keep the pick).

That is not a reason to abandon the team and go root for some other franchise.

Remember that this is a board for Hawks fanatics. This has been a hard few years and I hope nobody jumps to some other team's bandwagon after this important draft.

If it were really a disagreement on talent, you'd be right. But this comes down to the dysfunctional nature of this franchise. If we don't get Amare and end up taking Yi due to some owners' private "business interests" at the expense of putting a winning team on the floor, fans should have every right to go root for a team that actually wants to win. After what I've heard the past few days, I'm not sure this one does.

Quote:

If it were really a disagreement on talent, you'd be right. But this comes down to the dysfunctional nature of this franchise. If we don't get Amare and end up taking Yi due to some owners' private "business interests" at the expense of putting a winning team on the floor, fans should have every right to go root for a team that actually wants to win. After what I've heard the past few days, I'm not sure this one does.

If this is conclusively proven, i.e. far beyond the likes of just Chad Ford reporting it, I am seriously done with this franchise after following it for 23 years. I'm witholding judgement but the ASG 9 ring circus doesn't inspire oodles of confidence.

Quote:

If we don't get Amare and end up taking Yi due to some owners' private "business interests" at the expense of putting a winning team on the floor,

I can't buy that argument, simply because Amare would make us SO much more money than Yi. We would instantly sell thousands of Amare jerseys, we'd be a playoff team, we'd have a ton of sellout games and new season ticket holders, and we'd get national TV exposure.

Yi only POSSIBLY sells jersey's in China, and if he doesn't do well, his name and appeal will fade fast.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

If we don't get Amare and end up taking Yi due to some owners' private "business interests" at the expense of putting a winning team on the floor,

I can't buy that argument, simply because Amare would make us SO much more money than Yi. We would instantly sell thousands of Amare jerseys, we'd be a playoff team, we'd have a ton of sellout games and new season ticket holders, and we'd get national TV exposure.

Yi only POSSIBLY sells jersey's in China, and if he doesn't do well, his name and appeal will fade fast.

That is similar to where I am sitting -- although I think the argument is something along the lines that two of the owners do a lot of busiess in China and expect to make a lot more money doing that business (unrelated to the Hawks) if they are the people who own the team that drafted Yi. Until there is something more substantive showing that the owners disregarded talent to take Yi, I would not ditch the franchise over second hand information.

If the team does turn down an Amare deal just to do more business in China, I am done with the ownership and am rooting for Stern to force a sale to a third party ownership entity after the court rules. I am skeptical however that (1) the Suns agreed to this and (2) we would turn it down for that reason. Like Atlas says, there is a lot of money and good will to be made from a trade acquiring Amare.

Quote:

Quote:

Not true, Amare would raise interest in Atlanta but not what Yi does finanically on a full scale.

Yi is finally in the NBA, the most popluar Chinaman is in the NBA.

He will bring in sponsers, think Beckham, TV contracts that much more then just 64 games on SportSouth/FSN South, not to mention always being in media eye, this is what the owners know. They will do there best to market the hell out of him and he instantly is the face of this franchise. He was the candy in these owners eyes the whole time. This is what those owners wanted and since they are the owners they make the final decision.

Amare does alot if traded here, but many in the NBA circle think he a product of the system and is K-Mart pt.2, that scared away the owners who felt Yi was safer, this is what I know. I'm a businessman myself, not bigtime but parttime since I'm in school at the moment. I know what risk are and the Hawk onwers aren't stupid, they know too about Amare. They see Yi being a more profitable and safer buy then Amare. Is he as talented as Amare, hell no, but this is a business and the owners look at the things on a short/long term scale and felt this was the way to go.

Quote:

He will bring in sponsers, think Beckham

Think Beckham? Dude you need to quit making shite up, it's getting annoying as hell. Beckham is like Jordan, EVERYONE knows who he is, even people that don't follow soccer. Yi is NOTHING like this, only people that closely follow basketball and Chinese know who he is. Like I said, he'll be good marketing for the short term, but if he struggles in the NBA his appeal will quickly fade.

Quote:

Quote:

He will bring in sponsers, think Beckham

Think Beckham? Dude you need to quit making shite up, it's getting annoying as hell. Beckham is like Jordan, EVERYONE knows who he is, even people that don't follow soccer. Yi is NOTHING like this, only people that closely follow basketball and Chinese know who he is. Like I said, he'll be good marketing for the short term, but if he struggles in the NBA his appeal will quickly fade.

I just said this was my own opinion on this one, Beckham is internationally extremely popluar, Yi is that way in China and only China, that was the reference I was refering too. Don't be a dumbass. He won't stuggle in my mind, there going to do him like Josh Smith and force him to be good and put up stats, the Hawks showed this with Josh Smith last season.

Difference is Atlanta Hawks has 35,000 thousand fans I'm guessing currently.

China has 1.something billion people

35 million people are in to basketball in China I'm guessing again.

Yi is their favorite player though various reports in China.

rings-a-bell.

The draft is the least of the Hawks problems right now. If any of the reports in the media (from ESPN to Sothron) or true, the ownership situation is bordering on the absurd. Donald Sterling would be an improvement.

I would love to meet with the owners and ask WTF they were thinking when they inked that intial deal with Belkin - did they even read it? Did they hire competent attorneys? Do they have any idea what they are doing? Do they realize they have turned this franchise into a total embarassment?

Quote:

He won't stuggle in my mind, there going to do him like Josh Smith and force him to be good and put up stats, the Hawks showed this with Josh Smith last season.

So why didn't Smith put up those stats in his first 2 years? What a horrible argument. Denver wanted Skita to do well didn't they? Why couldn't he put up garbage stats? I guess you tend to forget that Smith has one of the best work ethics in the league.

Quote:

rings-a-bell.

So the Chinese are going to fly over from China to watch games in Atlanta? Please. Selling Jersey's and possibly TV contracts are the only money Yi will bring from China.

Quote:

Quote:

He won't stuggle in my mind, there going to do him like Josh Smith and force him to be good and put up stats, the Hawks showed this with Josh Smith last season.

So why didn't Smith put up those stats in his first 2 years? What a horrible argument. Denver wanted Skita to do well didn't they? Why couldn't he put up garbage stats? I guess you tend to forget that Smith has one of the best work ethics in the league.

Quote:

rings-a-bell.

So the Chinese are going to fly over from China to watch games in Atlanta? Please. Selling Jersey's and possibly TV contracts are the only money Yi will bring from China.

It's different, Siika didn't have 1._ billion people country who are very loyal supporting him too. tickets seles will not, I repeat will not go up but viewership and sponsership will and vastly as well. I don't care for Yi but business wise this makes sense.