• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I am beginning to doubt Horford as a center

Vafan

Read this article by Draft express. He was manhandle by Oden and Randolph Morris.

One may just look at the box score and assume this was a very good game for Horford, but a closer look at the game itself brings some very concerning issues to light. While Horford did play a large part in leading his team to victory, mainly with his strong rebounding and weakside presence on the defensive end, he struggled mightily trying to contain Greg Oden in the post. Horford’s post defense has widely been considered one of his greatest strengths, though when you look at this game alongside Randolph Morris’ 18-point game against Horford earlier in the season, it’s not as easy to view it as an aberration, considering these are two of the toughest post players Horford has played against at Florida.

This wasn’t the first time Oden matched up against Horford, as he scored 11 points on him earlier in the season in a 60-88 Ohio State loss. Oden didn’t get much of anything going in the post in that game, but the difference here was that Oden now has the use of both of his hands, and that he’s a less raw offensive player than he was then. Horford gave up points to Oden on the interior on many occasions in this game, most of them coming when Oden simply got better position than Horford did down low, where it would only take one step for him to get close enough to the basket to score on a lay-up or dunk. Horford unsuccessfully tried to front Oden at times, which would usually lead to Horford losing his position when he went back to playing straight up, letting Oden get the inside track. Horford also gave up a hook shot to Oden on one occasion. To Horford’s credit, he did force Oden into one travel in the post, and held his position well one or two times, mainly when he established better position prior to the entry pass, but his post defense was for the most part exposed against the 7’0 monster.

While Horford had trouble keeping Oden from scoring in the post, one area where Horford was not intimidated was on the glass. Horford actually went up to pull down multiple rebounds on both ends of the court, some over Oden and others with him in the direct vicinity. Horford came up with some very clutch rebounds down the stretch, where he fully used his length, athleticism, and timing along with a relentless hustle to help secure the game for his team. Horford did a good job boxing out when near the basket, and tracking down rebounds that flew away from the hoop.

Horford also was a strong presence on the weakside on the defensive end, heavily contesting more than a handful of shots over the course of the game, while also earning two blocks in the official box score, though many would contend there were a few more. Horford showed off his mobility by blocking cutters coming through the lane, as well as by making some post blocks on smaller players who tried to score when he was near the basket. Horford showed off a bit of his versatile perimeter defense for a big man by going step-for-step with Ivan Harris on a drive starting from behind the three-point arc early in the first half, forcing him into a missed shot from the middle of the lane.

On the offensive end, Horford started off the game shooting the ball from mid-range, as he’s grown accustomed to doing over the past few months. He missed an array of shots from 15 to 18 feet early in the game, though hit two of them as the game went on. In the post, Horford had trouble getting things going when matched up with Oden, being blocked on one occasion, in which he dived on the floor to grab the loose ball and recover the possession for his team. Horford did most of his work on the inside when Oden was out of the game, as he went to quick work on the Ohio State reserves when he had the chance, scoring a nice lefty lay-up off the glass on a spin move on one occasion and drawing a foul on another spin move from eight feet out on another. Horford also hit a running 12-foot floater with the shot clock winding down late in the game.

While Horford played well in most areas for his team, and was one of the driving forces leading his team to victory, aside teammate Corey Brewer of course, he was also exposed in one key area that could shake up his NBA draft stock. Because he showed similar issues against another NBA post player in Randolph Morris earlier in the season, this is something NBA teams will look at more closely in making their evaluations. Horford’s normal style of defense in the post is to play with his hands up and by keeping his body in front of his man, forcing them into tough shots. That clearly didn’t work here against Greg Oden, and it’s an adjustment he’s going to have to make at the next level, using more physicality and adding some more strength to his excellent frame to maintain his position down low. There’s a chance this could push him down a few spots in the lottery, but he still has all the defensive tools in the world, excellent basketball IQ, and a great motor, which will allow him to learn to make those adjustments at the next level, should he have the right coaching.

The way Horford played in the championship game doesn't bother me at all. I was at that game, so I was watching Horford and Oden extremely closesly (since I was hoping the Hawks would eventually draft one or the other of them), and to be honest, Horford was one of the biggest reasons why the Gators won.

First of all, two of the biggest things we need from Horford are rebounding and the ability to block shots in help defense. And he did about as well as could be expected to do in these two areas during that game, often outhustling Oden on the boards (he grabbed 12 of them) and coming up with some of the biggest blocks and rebounds of the game to prevent Ohio State from making a run. Basically, Oden has more physical talent than Horford (which we all knew), but Horford outworked him and held his own - especially because Noah did almost nothing that game.

Second of all, Florida didn't double team Oden. Instead, they had Horford single cover him and concentrated on shutting down the perimeter, which they did amazingly well. From memory I think Ohio State was something like 1-15 from the 3-point line until the game was well out of hand, and they really never got anything going anywhere else unitl the game was already lost. Oden got his, but he wasn't able to come close to beating Florida - I think the Gators chose were comfortable letting him have a big game while the rest of his team did nothing.

Finally, there's a reason Oden has been hyped as a once in a decade center prospect: he's tall, long, strong, and freaklishly athletic. Almost no one in the NBA right now has the physical attributes that Oden has. And while Oden played one good game against the Gators, he also played a terrible game earlier in the season. And it's not like he was incapable of playing well back then, because he had had some nice games leading up to the FL game and he had some nice games after it too. At any rate, Ohio State got crushed in both games.

• Moderators

Quote:

According to the article, Randolph Morris also scored 18 points on him.

Morris is a very good post scorer. He can't do much else, but he can do that. Morris also put up 23 against top seed UNC; 18 against top seed Memphis; 22 against top seed Kansas; etc.

• Premium Member

Eighteen points in one game? I am not trying to be snide here but eighteen points? What was his field goal percentage? Did Florida leave Horford alone on him like they did in the NC game against Oden to shut down all the shooters and give the big uy whatever points he could get?

I hear what you're saying about Horford as a center and for the other posts, Law as a point. But I think the best thing to do now is to reserve judgment till we actually see them play. We should be able to make a pretty good evaluation around the all-star break, or even by New Years. But, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Moderators

Quote:

I hear what you're saying about Horford as a center and for the other posts, Law as a point. But I think the best thing to do now is to reserve judgment till we actually see them play. We should be able to make a pretty good evaluation around the all-star break, or even by New Years. But, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

That is where I am, too. I think Horford has to be able to play center and Law better work out at PG. BK can't mess this draft up.

The proof will be in the pudding once the season starts but I don't see any reason to dump on them now.

My point on Morris was just that he is no slouch in the post and I would expect him to have had good games against Florida.

18 & 13 in two games againt Florida is not exactly dominating Horford when he had lot of 20 point games last year.

The problem with applying this logic to the ability of Horford to play is that you grade Hofford on his performance against 2 players then you project their skill set to every other Center/Power Forward in the NBA and College to confirm your doubts.....Thats just wrong with the NBA not having a plethora of Oden talents on every team and the East having a minimal amount of TRUE centers if Woody plays him at Center I dont think the world will end.

He was drafted for his rebounding and defense with occasional scoring to boot...things the article said he did well.

I know it's hard to believe but I think BK got this one right.

• Premium Member

The truth is that there is deficiency in Horford's defense. He has made a reputation on defense against lesser post players.

When he played against good players, he didn't fair as well.

Quote:

The truth is that there is deficiency in Horford's defense. He has made a reputation on defense against lesser post players.

When he played against good players, he didn't fair as well.

Yeah and I'm sure Yi would have been a better defender.