• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone worried about Law's athleticism??

DavidSomerset

He is not close to as good of an athlete as Conley, and is behind Crit also...

However, I was looking at draftexpresses combine stats for some past PG's and I was encouraged to see that Law's athletic ability is pretty similar to Deron Williams.

Williams has a 1 inch higher vertical, and is .17 seconds faster in lane agility, but Law beat him out in the 3/4 court sprint...Williams is quite a bit stronger though...

Is Law just an average athlete for the PG position? I really feel like we need someone who is quick enough to penetrate, draw a double and knock that ball out to someone like Marvin or JJ.

I hope he works his butt off...I'm a big fan of his already...HE (along with good health) is the key to this team making the playoffs this year.

The most important thing for a pg (athletically) is speed and Laws speed is at least average for a pg. And while his vertical is only 34" he is taller than most and his standing reach is as high as Crit.

My one area of concern is his lack of strength.

• Admin

the top four PG's in the last 20 years would come up short in those comparisons too, but that didn't stop them from being HoF caliber players. His ability to see what's going on around him and take advantage of it are far more important than any of those numbers.

And the "use" of speed is even more important offensively than whetehr or not the PG has speed.

Change of tempo is what makes a PG's speed effective. Kidd's a master of changing his tempo. He's not lightning fast, but he knows when to use whick gear.

Conley, for example, had great speed, but didn't always look so fast because he was disciplined about when to turn on the jets.

I haven't seen enough of Law's game to know if he knows how to use tempo changes to take advantage of defenders, but I'm not worried that he'll suffer because other PGs can beat him in sprints. Defensively it means he has to work harder and smarter to stay in position, but offensiveley its kind of irrelevant to a large degree in my opinion.

The measurements clearly showed that Law was much more athletic than most people thought. Actually, he came out ahead of Critt, which was a big surprise to most people. That's way more athletic than Mark Jackson or John Stockton. It's Law's brain that will determine how far he'll go.

Quote:

The measurements clearly showed that Law was much more athletic than most people thought. Actually, he came out ahead of Critt, which was a big surprise to most people. That's way more athletic than Mark Jackson or John Stockton. It's Law's brain that will determine how far he'll go.

Yeah how the hell could anyone look at those measurements and be MORE discouraged about Law's athleticism?

More doomsday Hawks logic.

The guy was absolutely SURPRISINGLY athletic. I don't put too much stock into the lane agility because that's about preparation but the 3/4 court sprint is just about flat out speed and the guy was one of the fastest players at the combine.

But of course, anyone can be fast without the basketball.

As far as his speed on the court, just ask DJ Augustin and Texas how "average" Acie Law is with the basketball in his hands.

I think he's very similar to Deron Williams in the regard that he can be successful breaking a defense down in a halfcourt or uptempo style of play and he picks and chooses his spots when to use either.

There is no way Acie Law would have had success attacking the basket that he had without ball handling and quickness considering how much attention he drew from opposing defenses.

and stop penetration. He did not show in college that he can be a defensive stopper and that worries me. Will he be a guy that gets abused in the NBA or will he become a great defender? Chances are that he will be somewhere in between. Ideally I would like to have someone who can keep the opposing PG from driving into the lane and hopefully with some work Acie will be able to do that. Up until this point he hasn't shown that ability yet and he doesn't seem to have the natural instincts that a top notch defender has.

He can certainly overcome that by being a big time contributor on offense like I believe he will be though. If he can wear his man out on the offensive side of the ball that will help his defense. Similar to what Rip does with the Pistons. I think that because of his lack of top end speed he needs to focus on building strength so that he can be physically imposing on the other PGs as well and be able to create mismatches where he can post up smaller PGs like he will see a good bit of the time.

Quote:

...There is no way Acie Law would have had success attacking the basket that he had without ball handling and quickness considering how much attention he drew from opposing defenses.

Good point...it's not like he was a "complimentary" player on that A&M team. They were keying on him all the time and he was still getting it done.

Quote:

Change of tempo is what makes a PG's speed effective.

He is very good at that. That is how he gets in the lane most of the time. The thing i like is that when he gets inside he is still in control which leaves his options open.

Speedy on the other hand goes in out of control, gets stuck and jumps to pass. Not what you want from a pg.

Quote:

Quote:

Change of tempo is what makes a PG's speed effective.

He is very good at that. That is how he gets in the lane most of the time. The thing i like is that when he gets inside he is still in control which leaves his options open.

Speedy on the other hand goes in out of control, gets stuck and jumps to pass. Not what you want from a pg.

And Speedy was an absolute offensive liability as a shooter which made it so much easier to double JJ.

Then when you had Lue who was a better shooter, it was easier to stop our whole offense because he just dribbled out most of the shotclock.

Our PG situation is improved so much it's not even funny.

Same with our frontcourt.

I think people will be scratching their heads when they see how good this team really is.

It's all on Woodson giving the rookies PT and staying relatively healthy