• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will changing GM's really change much?

KB21

Despite what some people have said, the Hawks did offer a significant piece of this team management wise to Jerry West last offseason. The reason West turned this team down was that he saw a management set up that was doomed to fail. What he saw was a lack of commitment to the scouting aspect of the game.

The Atlanta Hawks have the smallest scouting department in the NBA. Will changing GM's really make that much of a difference?

Don't take this as a Defense of Pete post. I think a change needs to be made, but the entire structure of the organization needs to be changed.

I think this franchise needs to be sold to some hands on owners. I live in Sacramento and the Maloof's have done an excellent job with the Kings by superior marketing and letting real basketball minds run the show (Petrie). I truly believe we need AOL to sell this team to Bird's group or some other hungry, basketball-loving owner. Once that owner(s) is/are in place then they need to hire a superior management team and scouting department.

I wish the NBA would start forcing owners to view their teams as an extension of themselves and not some tax-write off or corporate perk.

If Sacramento runs the table I'd like to see us go after Geoff Petrie and offer him the challenge of restoring our floundering franchise.

It's going to be extremely difficult to find an owner that has money like the Maloofs or Mark Cuban to be that much of a hands on owner. I really doubt that Larry Bird's group will have the financial backing to really invest in the team long term.

Bob Johnson would have been a good candidate, but he got the Charlotte franchise.

Another significant factor in the refusal of Jerry West to take the position was the contract status of people (SAR, Theo, etc.); though GRob was not yet on the roster, Toni's contract was...

Memphis had more draft picks, and higher ones, that would allow Jerry to manipulate things quite a bit more. Additionally, they pretty much made him GM/owner - he has the say in every decision that's made (I have a feeling).

I understand why he turned us down. And yes, ownership more than likely played a role as well...I was truly surprised that AOL let us go over the cap this year...I wonder if that was expected.

I don't think the contract status of Theo and SAR had any effect on Jerry's decision. He took over a team with immovable contracts in Bryant Reeves, Michael Dickerson, and Jason Williams. It's no different thatn the situation in Atlanta, except that the Hawks players are better.

Reeves is coming off the books. JWill's contract, with the way he's been playing, really isn't all that bad, a little high, but not that bad...Dickerson, well, he's a good player but has been bitten hard by the injury bug with his recurrent sports hernia...

they're really better off than we are as far as contracts go - I mean, if anything, they're in a pinch now, trying to figure out which players to keep and how to get a guy like Shane Battier pt...I wish the Hawks had similar problems...

Big Country's contract is coming off the books because he retired, but Jason Williams and Michael Dickerson's deals have 5 more years on them after this season.

With SAR, Glenn, and Theo, the Hawks only have 2 more years of their contracts.

Jason Williams is still going to be hard to trade even though he is playing well right now, because there is a sense of skepticism with him. Most people are waiting for him to revert back to being the Jason Williams that will jack up a 3 point attempt on a 3 on 1 break.

It doesn't look like Dickerson will ever get healthy. He's had this sports hernia for two years now. He undoubtedly has some terrible fascia.