• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ownership fight

emorywjs

• Moderators

The trial court ruled that Belkin had the right to buy out the team. That has been appealed by the ASG. Oral argument was completed on the appeal months ago. A ruling from the Court of Appeals may come at any time or months from now.

If the Court of Appeals affirms the decision below, the ASG will be able to appeal to the state's supreme court and then the US Supreme Court. If the Court of Appeals does not affirm, the ruling might reverse the trial court and order that there be more proceedings to follow in the trial court or there might be a definitive ruling in favor of the ASG. If there is a definitive ruling in favor of the ASG, Belkin would have the same appeal rights as the ASG. If there are more proceedings to follow in the trial court for some reason, the matter essentially gets restarted and the likelihood of a quick resolution is not at all high.

A buyout of either Belkin or the ASG remains the only sure way to wrap up this dispute.

I think the ASG will lose. Even though I despise this result, the wording of the contract suggests to me that Belkin has a legally sound position.

ASG should sue their own lawyers b/c of the miserable job they did representing their client in the contract negotiations and drafting.

Then, what happens when David Stern says no way Jose to Belkin? The fun really starts.

I can't see how Belkin would do worse than fielding the most losing team in the NBA over the past THREE Years. We would be rid of Mike Woodson day one - even if it is ML Carr. We would be without the gridlock to sign and trade for a free agent.

I love Joe Johnson but he isn't worth crippling a franchise over.

How does belkin have the edge in this case? Didnt he try to sue the ASG or something when the Joe Johnson trade went through? How many people own the team? I dont see how belkin can really make a case since the owners wanted the trade except for him and its obviously turned out better for the hawks.

Quote:

Then, what happens when David Stern says no way Jose to Belkin?

Then there'll be a TV game show where the main price is ownership over the Hawks, it'll be a cross between Survivor, The Apprentice, Flavor Of Love and Takeshi's Castle, it's probably the best thing that can happen to us. woohoo.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

I can't see how Belkin would do worse than fielding the most losing team in the NBA over the past THREE Years. We would be rid of Mike Woodson day one - even if it is ML Carr. We would be without the gridlock to sign and trade for a free agent.

I love Joe Johnson but he isn't worth crippling a franchise over.

The media reported it was Belkin who squashed the Amare Stoudemire trade. Don't know if that is accurate but between that report, the foot dragging/franchise imploding with JJ and the reports of him wanting a Clipper-esque payroll, I am not holding my breath for a bunch of bigtime S&Ts if Belkin takes over. In the meantime, he is making efforts to drag out the appeals process in the litigation so that doesn't make me think he is anxious to step up to the plate and start footing the bills for this team, either.

Quote:

The media reported it was Belkin who squashed the Amare Stoudemire trade.

You're too good for this, AHF. I heard that "someone" said that. Who was it? Give us a source. I've heard quite the contrary. It seems highly more likely to me that Steve Kerr did not feel like trading a 24 year old cornerstone player his first week on the job. We all know this is the one issue where you are a little biased. C'mon, man!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

The media reported it was Belkin who squashed the Amare Stoudemire trade.

You're too good for this, AHF. I heard that "someone" said that. Who was it? Give us a source. I've heard quite the contrary. It seems highly more likely to me that Steve Kerr did not feel like trading a 24 year old cornerstone player his first week on the job. We all know this is the one issue where you are a little biased. C'mon, man!

Chad Ford:

Quote:

The latest drama in the Garnett saga shows some of the perils of dealing with the Hawks -- arguably the most dysfunctional franchise in the league.

The Hawks ownership group, Atlanta Spirit LLC, is embroiled in a nasty lawsuit with former partner Steve Belkin. Belkin won a lawsuit against Atlanta Spirit LLC last summer and a judge ruled that he could buy out the owners of Atlanta Spirit and gain full ownership of the team. Atlanta Spirit is currently appealing the ruling.

In the meantime, Belkin holds some authority over the team. He can veto any trade or free agent signing that takes the team above the NBA salary cap. Several sources suggested that it was Belkin who vetoed the trade.

Jerry Brown - Phoenix Sports Writer

Quote:

Sources confirm that the rumors were strong enough to induce Stoudemire to place a phone call to his former Suns teammate, Atlanta guard Joe Johnson, to talk about a possible reunion with the Hawks.

Late Tuesday evening in New York, site of today’s draft, the Hawks were telling members of the national and Atlanta media that the framework for a Stoudemire deal was vetoed by management because it would put the Hawks over the salary cap.

Blame landed on a name familiar to Suns fans: former Hawks majority owner Steve Belkin. Still embroiled in a lawsuit to regain control from his former business partners that dates back to the controversial Johnson trade in the summer of 2005, Belkin retains the right to halt any deal that exceeds the cap.

Both sides of the story have been written. One blameing Belkin and the other saying Kerr backed out. Im not sure which to believe but I will say that if it was Belkin why didnt ASG or BK or even Bernie Mullen confirm to the media that it indeed was Belkin. After all what Hawks fan wouldnt want to kill that S.O.B. if they found out he vetoed a trade that would have sent Amare to Atlanta. Talk about bad press and bad buisness. Who in their right mind would support this team if it was owned by someone who pulled some crap like that.

• Moderators

Quote:

Both sides of the story have been written. One blameing Belkin and the other saying Kerr backed out. Im not sure which to believe but I will say that if it was Belkin why didnt ASG or BK or even Bernie Mullen confirm to the media that it indeed was Belkin. After all what Hawks fan wouldnt want to kill that S.O.B. if they found out he vetoed a trade that would have sent Amare to Atlanta. Talk about bad press and bad buisness. Who in their right mind would support this team if it was owned by someone who pulled some crap like that.

The Phoenix paper did cite the Atlanta management as a source but the ASG isn't going to take this public if it is true (as I said above, it is not anything with hard confirmation). Why would they want their fans to be pissed off over a draft where they just had two lottery picks? Their goal is more to generate interest and excitement in next year's team than to destroy Belkin's support if he takes control of the team.

As you say, it would be bad press and bad business to go public with this right now if it is true. The smarter move would be to leak it for small exposure to let the hardcore fans know they are trying and then hold it in their pocket if Belkin wins to then announce it publically when listing their complaints against him.