• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sac - Milwaukee - Atlanta?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Here's the deal... Sactown wants Yi, but has nothing enticing to offer. I think Atlanta can broker the deal...

Hawks send Marvin to Milwaukee.

Yi to Sacramento.

Hawes, 1st rounder top 3 protected 2008 (Sac) to Atlanta.

While I would rather deal for Yi... I would not be against getting a Hawes and 1st rounder.

Quote:

LAS VEGAS -- The stalemate between the Milwaukee Bucks and Yi Jianlian enters its second week today amid emerging details that Sacramento would be one of the preferred destinations for the lottery-pick forward if he is successful in forcing a trade, The Bee has learned.

Whether any talks between the Kings and Bucks have taken place is not known. Sacramento co-owner Gavin Maloof declined comment Wednesday night before watching courtside as Yi and the Chinese national team played the Boston Celtics in summer-league action at UNLV, and Milwaukee officials could not be reached. Yi's agent, Dan Fegan, also said he did not want to comment, hoping to avoid further inflaming a difficult situation.

Yi's future has been the source of constant speculation on two continents after the Bucks drafted him with the sixth overall pick June 28 despite previously being told they would not be allowed to attend a private workout in Los Angeles, an obvious signal that the intriguing prospect and the people around him did not want Yi to end up in Milwaukee. The Bucks took him anyway, and immediately faced a public relations problem as it became apparent the stance had not changed.

The reasons go much deeper than the common perception that Yi does not want to deal with the Wisconsin winters and live in a city with a very small Asian population. Although the lifestyle concerns are formidable, it is known he would have been excited to be drafted by other cold-weather teams and that the basketball issues are likewise pressing: the aggressive 6-foot-11 forward with an aggressive offensive game would join a roster that already has depth on the young frontline and therefore might not have as many opportunities to rapidly develop.

The Kings also are big-man heavy, with two established players at power forward, Yi's natural position. But Shareef Abdur-Rahim turns 31 in December, and Kenny Thomas turns 30 on July 25, and neither would appear to have a long-term role in the rebuilding plan.

Sacramento actually fits most of Yi's desires. It's a warm-weather city with a diverse population, a welcoming fan base and a short drive to the comfort of the Bay Area and a major Asian market. That, naturally, is important to opportunities his business advisers hope to develop.

The Kings' style of play also would be an attraction, or at least the style of uptempo play new coach Reggie Theus says he hopes to install. Yi is known for his mobility and smooth shot.

Sacramento faces major hurdles, though, in the possibility of a trade even coming close to reality. Most notably, the Kings have very little to offer that Milwaukee would want. The Bucks already have a skilled shooting guard (Michael Redd), so Kevin Martin doesn't hold the same lure as for other teams, and a heavy investment in a center (Andrew Bogut), so rookie Spencer Hawes isn't a great temptation.

Beyond that, Milwaukee general manager Larry Harris said he would not trade Yi, increasing the sense of a standoff that could last at least through the summer and very possibly into training camp in October. If the time does come that the Bucks change their stance, many teams with more to offer will show interest.

I think I would pass on that one...Maybe, just maybe, for Chillz...but not Marvin...Not now, I really think he's going to emerge as the need 3rd scoring threat in this his 3rd year. I think he's really going to blossom!

Plus, Hawes i'm unimpressed with overall...I think he duplicates ZaZa to much...maybe he's a little more skilled around the basket...but he's somewhat clumbsy and he doesn't rebound well defensively or offensively...

I think I would have to pass...

• Premium Member

I don't have so much faith in Marvin. He's a Sf and that's a position that doesn't take much seasoning. Either you have it or you don't. Marvin's lack of aggressiveness tells me that we need to trade him while he still has some value.

Pass...all these trades proposing trading a guy we've nurtured for 2 years and finally expect to deliver for another guy we'd have to nurture for 2 years (and then probably trade him for the next one if he doesn't score 20ppg his 2nd year). Just seems like playing the lotto to me...keep trading young guys for younger guys until one is a beast his 1st or 2nd year. I'll stick with Marvin to see what he produces this year.

Once again, "Diesel facts" are nothing more than Marvin Haterade.

"He's a Sf and that's a position that doesn't take much seasoning."

What exactly do you expect from a 20-year-old?? Because I'd say 13 and 5 from a 20-year-old is pretty damn good. Unless your LeBron, who is a once in a lifetime player, my guess is every team in the league would take those numbers from a 20-year-old.

• Premium Member

If we could get that Sac 2008 with no protection I would make that trade. Hawes is a true center with a good low post game. Put him at center, Horford at PF move Smoove back to SF and that would be a good young frontcourt.

Quote:

I don't have so much faith in Marvin. He's a Sf and that's a position that doesn't take much seasoning. Either you have it or you don't. Marvin's lack of aggressiveness tells me that we need to trade him while he still has some value.

The kid is 21 for gosh sakes !

• Premium Member

True but some things are natural. I have never seen someone who did not have something naturall really develop it into an instinct. Examples would be court vision, hustle, heart, energy and aggression on both sides of the court. Marvin seems very (I would say extremely) content to live as a midrange jump shooter and not do much of anything else on offense. He never presses the action or attacks the rim to draw contact let alone try to dunk it and still get contact.

Guest GHook4

I think Marvin showed flashes last year of why he was chosen #2 overall.

Anyone remember this dunk on Marcus Camby?

A few things happened last year that contributed to Marvin being timid going to the basket at times. Hopefully someone can help me out here, but I remember the first time we played Phoenix Marvin went up for a slam. Amare stuck his arm out and clotheslined him like a thug. As I recall Smoove and Amare got in each other's faces over it. Marv got up though and calmly made both free throws. Later in the season, Marv is starting to get some of his aggression back and of course the same thing happens as Marv is about to dunk on Shaq. Marv gets up, again makes both free throws, and is later diagnosed with a lower back contusion.

I've got faith in Marvin. He improved in every statistical category last season and I expect the same this season. This is a repeating pattern, third year always seems to be the breakout year. My prediction is Luol Deng-like numbers: 16-18 ppg, 5-7 rpg, 2 apg, 1.2 stl, .8 blocks.

munching_out.gif

• Premium Member

13 and 5 from a 20 year old playing 23 mpg is pretty good.

However, 13/5 from a 20 year old playing 32 mpg is not.

Of all the players in Marvin's draft class...

He is 6th in minutes.

6th in point per game.

9th in rebounds per game.

11th in efficiency.

14th in Fantasy Rating.

In essence Marvin is not the second best player in his draft class.. and even though he plays a lot of minutes he's not very effective.

Quote:

I see what you see Diesel. However, at 20-21 right now we don't know if he will mature into his promise. I have been hard on him (as well as Woody) but we will better wait and see what he brings in training camp and the first 15 games. Hawes is not the answer.

Quote:

If we could get that Sac 2008 with no protection I would make that trade. Hawes is a true center with a good low post game. Put him at center, Horford at PF move Smoove back to SF and that would be a good young frontcourt.

Hawes cannot jump, rebound or block shots.

Quote:

Hawks send Marvin to Milwaukee.

Yi to Sacramento.

Hawes, 1st rounder top 3 protected 2008 (Sac) to Atlanta.

wow @ how horrible this is

u take our only sf other than chills and trade him for hawes, when we already have smoove/horford/shelden/zaza/solo down low

u really don't care if we trade marvin for a bag of cotton candy

If you don't like JSmoove at the SF...then this team has some soul searching to do.

Granted, I've been out for awhile and some of this may have been discussed at other various points (I'm sure far past the point of overkill...)...but...

Smoove likes shooting 3's, he appears most comfortable on the wing (offensively anyhow). While I know he's worked with Hakeem this off season (anyone have a link to that btw), but...he plays like a sf, plain and simple...

unless we move towards a PHX style offense (in which case Woody must be jetisoned), smoove is a SF...

• Premium Member

I tried to put it into perspective of team and Need.

Now, Losing Hawes would be a big blow for Sactown and originally, I thought that maybe they could get Yi and Gadzuric.

I also thought about Losing YI = Nothing for Milwaukee because they seem like they gain the most. Because if Yi is not going to play in Milwaukee, the next best thing is to trade him. I don't know if they would be willing to lose Gadzuric but there are a couple of good Centers available.

I also thought that for us, the deal would be Marvin and Aj to Milwaukee. Aj would help cover the loss of Mo Williams (if they can't resign him). They would probably go after either Bell or Blake too.

But when you consider what each team is losing... I think it's a legitimate deal that would be beneficial to each team.